Drew David

Bagged Dyed Minnows

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

As I lie here with my current insomnia, I ponder a question. I’m sure everyone here at some point or another, has seen the red, green, or yellow dyed minnows, shad, & spearing that come vacuum packed in plastic bags. Packed with preservatives to be made shelf stable. 

A. Has anyone ever tried them?

B. Have they worked?

C. Better or worse than fresh. (Had to ask)

By no stretch of the imagination  am I rushing out to stock up on fruit cake style dead fish but I am curious to peoples thoughts. (Unless I hear some extremely positive reviews lol)

My uncle used to buy em and I used to get yelled at for squishing their wee little heads. 

I've tried em, don't think I've ever caught anything on them in either fresh or salt water.  

Now GULP minnows.  Those I've done pretty good with.  Usually on a jig.  

One thing I'm plannin to try this year is a 3or 4in GULP minnow on a lightweight (1/4oz or so) Tin wobble eel jig.   A pack of minnows and a few jigs would make a super light beach walkin setup. 

BTW. I also have similar thoughts that keep me up at night. :howdy:

Edited by PSegnatelli

Not to de-rail this thread but these are what I usually use in the surf for fluke.  Change the tails to Berkeley Gulp! Minnows or grubs and they're a deadly combination.  Great wobbling action plus the flavor of the Gulp!fullsizeoutput_147.jpeg.edd0089c374929f524de63c4f3fe3388.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14b.jpeg.ffc6628c9e9498a3c636a09f0e278704.jpeg

Some of those dyed and un dyed minnows have been sitting on shelves for years.  :upck:

You cant beat fresh bait, especially if its bait caught diretly in the area you are using it in.

5 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Some of those dyed and un dyed minnows have been sitting on shelves for years.  :upck:

You cant beat fresh bait, especially if its bait caught diretly in the area you are using it in.

I agree. @Drew David this is sound advice. A small cast net is perfect for bay water and a small rake for surf critters. 

I have used store brined dead fish for fishing and for crabbing. My kids picked it out for me for Father’s Day years ago. As I remember it, the stuff actually repelled fish & crabs. 

Go fresh or artificial and frozen as a last resort. Personally, I wouldn’t bother with store bought wet brined bait. You can dry salt & freeze your own fresh or live (not for long once salted) with a big box of kosher salt & baggies or containers. I’ve had success on that. 

I had more crabs & killies than I knew what to do with last year.  

Minnow trap with bunker oil & oats in a small bottle with holes in it.  Drop it in a back water.  

My kids became in charge of bait.  Within the hour I had 10+lbs of bait. 

1st couple of trips I salted a bunch of crabs. But I caught so much during the summer I never used them.  I then just returned all the bait back to the water at the end of the trip and caught more the next time out.  

And if I wanted something a bit different I would cut a belly strip off some searobins that I caught with the crabs & killies.  

This winter I got a diggin fork so maybe I can get some worms too. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

I think it’s safe to assume my original hypothesis was correct. They’re garbage lol. And I will definitely be getting some wobble head jigs from Dan in a few weeks or so.

17 mins ago, Drew David said:

I think it’s safe to assume my original hypothesis was correct. They’re garbage lol. And I will definitely be getting some wobble head jigs from Dan in a few weeks or so.

He makes great stuff. I love the wobble jigs. Plus a bunch of his other jigs too. If ya google Tinman Tackle he has a website with all the stuff he makes.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

2 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

He makes great stuff. I love the wobble jigs. Plus a bunch of his other jigs too. If ya google Tinman Tackle he has a website with all the stuff he makes.  

He sells here in the com BST too. Quality products that he cares about.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:49 PM, Drew David said:

As I lie here with my current insomnia, I ponder a question. I’m sure everyone here at some point or another, has seen the red, green, or yellow dyed minnows, shad, & spearing that come vacuum packed in plastic bags. Packed with preservatives to be made shelf stable. 

A. Has anyone ever tried them?

B. Have they worked?

C. Better or worse than fresh. (Had to ask)

By no stretch of the imagination  am I rushing out to stock up on fruit cake style dead fish but I am curious to peoples thoughts. (Unless I hear some extremely positive reviews lol)

You wouldn't see me touch those things, if you're a bait and wait guy. Snag them or net them and use fresh bait, leave that stuff at the store. Any live bait is the best there is, and fresh bait is better than old bait. You up your chance by far. When I used to bait fish more often when I got to the beach. If the opportunity showed itself I would snag a bunker and leave the other stuff behind and use the fresh one. 

Edited by surfcast