fishmak

PENN TRQS5-B Maintenance Parts - 1st Generation

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Dear PENN & ALL, I am one of the guy who purchased the PENN TRQS5-B when it came out. Recently, I was performing maintenance on the reel, I found the "43-TS5 Crosswind Block" has a big scratch (Please see picture, the Silver part) & "231-TS5 Crosswind Gear Asm-1200407" is little weird (Please see picture).

1) Do you think I should replace it?

2) Can I purchase the parts directly from PENN?

3) Since I have the 1st Generation, is there any other parts I should updated as well?

4) Also, there is a plastic washer under the "231-TS5 Crosswind Gear Asm-1200407" is broken, Can I use a washer from other reel to replace it?

My reel had been serviced by Penn before, Excellent Service (Great People)!

Thanks for any inputs!

20210429_173344.jpg.8fc620d9d66c7242fe9e06847b948139.jpg20210429_173404.jpg.0b4cc756b31c1189872f2d67b4be2912.jpg

The huge sliver scratch, I think it's cost by "231-TS5 Crosswind Gear Asm-1200407".
20210429_174730.jpg.06cde2851d305b8368b560ef5466a5cd.jpg

Does it look wear out?

20210429_173337.jpg.618e850a4d0ab3ee2fab970f5396bd62.jpg

After open it these two rings were hanging on the "39N-TS5 Spool Shaft", I just put them back in. Is there a way to secure them in place or Just like that?

20210429_175717.jpg.80381302fdcda07f348899648cd29be8.jpg

20210429_173326.jpg

Edited by fishmak

Hello Fishmak,

Sorry to hear the Torque is giving you trouble.  Looks like the pin in the crosswind gear came disconnected and caused wear on the washer and crosswind block. The crosswind gear has been updated to a stainless steel version.  I suggest ordering a new washer, crosswind block, crosswind gear bushing and crosswind gear.  You can order parts by calling 800-892-5444.  

Looks like your shaft was updated to the newer version at some point.  You do not need any more updated parts.

Jim  

Thank you so much for your help, Jim! I'll give you guys a call!

Just curious, how the pin got disconnect from crosswind gear happened (Shouldn't them be one piece?)?

I love my PENN TRQS5-B, if anyone who like to share their thoughts please do so!

Edited by fishmak

16 hours ago, fishmak said:

After open it these two rings were hanging on the "39N-TS5 Spool Shaft", I just put them back in. Is there a way to secure them in place or Just like that?

20210429_175717.jpg.80381302fdcda07f348899648cd29be8.jpg

Those are the remains of a a destroyed bearing - key 55A-TS5 Ball Bearing part no 1211094 on the schematic; looks like the cage and inner race

You need to replace it not secure the rings...

If the bearing failed to this degree, you would have ended up with the tiny steel balls of the bearing floating around your gear box like very hard, very damage inducing bits of grit...

In all likelihood this bearing is the source of your woes - it failed and the balls destroyed other parts.

Edited by ZAFisher

Yes, the bearing at the base of the pinion failed and its likely the tiny balls inside the bearing may have worn other parts down.  I suggest changing the bearing as well.  Should probably give the inside of the reel a detailed cleaning and make sure none of the balls are still floating inside the reel.

Jim

That same bearing failed in my bailess torque, the races broke and the bearing literally exploded inside the reel. 

HIGHLY recommend you clean every square mm of the reel except the rotor and spool, degrease and dry then re-lube and reassemble. Those balls will destroy other parts and there's no need for that. 

Edit:

Get the highest quality bearing you can find to replace it. You don't want a cheap bearing failing again forcing you to fix it again

Edited by RedGreen

24 mins ago, RedGreen said:

That same bearing failed in my bailess torque, the races broke and the bearing literally exploded inside the reel. 

HIGHLY recommend you clean every square mm of the reel except the rotor and spool, degrease and dry then re-lube and reassemble. Those balls will destroy other parts and there's no need for that. 

Edit:

Get the highest quality bearing you can find to replace it. You don't want a cheap bearing failing again forcing you to fix it again

Thank you so much for this BIG tipS! I'll probably order that from PENN, hope they had upgraded the quality of the bearings otherwise, I really can't fish with this $750 Reel (How much when I brought it) with much confident.

BTW, I think it's the "55-TS5 Ball Bearing part #: 1200399"...

If not, anywhere else I can buy Highest Quality Bearing??? Thanks again!

Edited by fishmak

2 hours ago, RedGreen said:

I wouldn't buy the part from Penn. You can find an ABEC 7 version from elsewhere, I think it's 7x11x2.5mm

O NO....I ordered earlier :( Somehow, I feel like the Crosswind Gear and the Crosswind Block should be cover under PENN Reputation Warranty because I am one of the PENN fan who brought the reel when it came out.

This bearing failed on my torque as well. I replaced with the same bearing but, the poster above makes a good point. Better to upgrade. has anyone done this and know the correct size for sure ?

I actually damaged the frame internally but fortunately only cosmetic damage. My own fault. I knew something was wrong but continued to fish

I think the broken gear in my picture is "55-TS5 Ball Bearing part #: 1200399", not "55A-TS5 Ball Bearing part no 1211094 ZAFisher mentioned above.

I have ordered new one from PENN, but I will keep looking for upgrade, If I found I'll post it here. I think ABEC 7 version gear is good replacement, Thanks to RedGreen!

How can a such nice solid reel has a mistake like this.?

Edited by fishmak

All gear sucks. 

The only two spinning reels I haven't had a single operational issue with are the Okuma Makaira and 20' Daiwa Saltiga, except the rotor brake on my saltiga is laughably weak. 

5 hours ago, fishmak said:

I think the broken gear in my picture is "55-TS5 Ball Bearing part #: 1200399", not "55A-TS5 Ball Bearing part no 1211094 ZAFisher mentioned above.

You are correct, I was not wearing my OAP glasses.. Sorry

5 hours ago, fishmak said:

How can a such nice solid reel has a mistake like this.?

Not sure I would call it a design flaw or mistake, parts in the most expensive machines can fail too

I would like to make clear that I think this is a great lifetime reel. been fishing it hard for 5 years. I expect maintenance issues in any piece of equiptment

1 hour ago, mark d said:

I would like to make clear that I think this is a great lifetime reel. been fishing it hard for 5 years. I expect maintenance issues in any piece of equiptment

I agreed with you. PENN needs to make the brand more competitive :)