Richard_the_Aughth

green crabs

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

People Pay for Green Crabs?    Well  there are BraZillions of them all the way from the MerryMuck River all up thru Maine.  Come catch all you want.  they were imported from somewhere just like Zebra Mussels.   A guy I used to work with had a big bucket of them that he would use for bait and his Mother in law from VietNam put them all in the Cusinart and made Krabby Pattys.  He said they tasted good and crunchy before he realized where his bait had gone.   Im not sure what the Egg is for?

Im getting the Free Disabled Veteran Recreational Lobster, Crab and Scallop license but dont have any traps.  If anyone wants to send some traps my way, with a small hauler to put on my little boat as I cant physically haul the trap myself. Ill give yo oall the Green Crabs that I catch with them.

crab egg.jpg

Edited by TheBoat

2 hours ago, TheBoat said:

People Pay for Green Crabs?    Well  there are BraZillions of them all the way from the MerryMuck River all up thru Maine.  Come catch all you want.  they were imported from somewhere just like Zebra Mussels.   A guy I used to work with had a big bucket of them that he would use for bait and his Mother in law from VietNam put them all in the Cusinart and made Krabby Pattys.  He said they tasted good and crunchy before he realized where his bait had gone.   Im not sure what the Egg is for?

Im getting the Free Disabled Veteran Recreational Lobster, Crab and Scallop license but dont have any traps.  If anyone wants to send some traps my way, with a small hauler to put on my little boat as I cant physically haul the trap myself. Ill give yo oall the Green Crabs that I catch with them.

crab egg.jpg

These are asian crabs....

asian crabs?  They warned us NAVY guys about those. Still wondering about the Egg in the WOK?   In the Middle east they had some really great food cooked in the Souks called Mastaba comes from the Arabic word for "a bench of mud" and usually was cooked over wood fires and the top of an empty 55 gallon metal barrel.  They were Lots of fresh eggs (I think chicken or Pigeon or both, as they would also be roasting those. Had some "Squab" toast of Camel Dung, not recommended)   Really different and I always ate them with the Fil-Fil Spicy hot African Peppers that even the locals would shy away from.  Cant be too much spice.   Anyway.  Crabs are a Renewable Food resorse. Did you know that you can rip off one Claw and the crab will regrow it.  Always go for the Big Claw as it has more meat. 

Yummy Lobster.jpg

Why buy when you can get your own for free.

(Taken from the salt water recreational regulations)

"In order to harvest green crabs, you must obtain a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from the Division. Please contact Kerry Allard for a LOA or more information at (617) 626-1633 or kerry.allard@state.ma.us).Closed season on harvest is January 01–April 30, inclusive. Closed season on trap gear is November 1 - May 15, inclusive. "

6 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

Why buy when you can get your own for free.

(Taken from the salt water recreational regulations)

"In order to harvest green crabs, you must obtain a Letter of Authorization (LOA) from the Division. Please contact Kerry Allard for a LOA or more information at (617) 626-1633 or kerry.allard@state.ma.us).Closed season on harvest is January 01–April 30, inclusive. Closed season on trap gear is November 1 - May 15, inclusive. "

Why is there a closed season on an invasive species? 

Thanks for sharing the good tip to catch them.

I used to catch them um by low tide but I am working so busy now, then looking for some crab at the bait shop is quick and easier.

Long funnel eel traps take greens really well. The New Bedford lobster trap place, Ketcham Supply sells greenie traps, pick up or online.

Knew of a guy that would drag a small johnboat around the shallows at night and would lie across the bow and drag the boat around while picking crabs and tossing them into the boat as he went along.