horsefly

TFO Tactical Surf Rod

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2021 at 3:22 PM, Evil-Bay said:

Nothing wrong with the new version, just not a fan of that electric blue color.  Never liked to stand out of a crowd....   Plus I'm old fashioned, if it ain't broke, leave it alone!  Plus plus, I never had an issue with the guides and I do like the low rider guides.

I have to admit, that gaudy TFO blue is kind of a turn off. I had a buddy get in a skirmish where the other angler was so uncomplimentary towards his blue rod that he was treated like a pariah. :confused: I would fish a rod with pink and orange barbershop stripes if it felt good in my hands, who even sees it at night anyway.  Rod snobs hate the blue rods apparently (no reflection on you). If you're Asian, liberal, or a blue rodder, seems you gotta watch your back nowadays.

I have always thought that value wise, the TFO's are near the top of the list, and have never had a issue with any of the guides myself. Seems most want the k frames though and TFO seems very in tune with customer wants and desires. If they changed the color back to the flat black out, betcha sales go up?

Edited by Ba Ba Buoy
Ticketed by the grammar squad

46 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I have to admit, that gaudy TFO blue is kind of a turn off. I had a buddy get in a skirmish where the other angler was so uncomplimentary towards his blue rod that he was treated like a pariah. :confused: I would fish a rod with pink and orange barbershop stripes if it felt good in my hands, who even sees it at night anyway.  Rod snobs hate the blue rods apparently (no reflection on you). If your Asian, liberal, or a blue rodder, seems you gotta watch your back nowadays.

I have always thought that value wise, the TFO's are near the top of the list, and have never had a issue with any of the guides myself. Seems most want the k frames though and TFO seems very in tune with customer wants and desires. If they changed the color back to the flat black out, betcha sales go up?

If they went back to the black color blanks, I'd consider it.  As an Asian man, I never had to watch my back and never plan to.  

I’ve had the Gen1-11’ mag H 3-8oz for

over 5 years strong.I love that rod.I’ve thrown up to 8 and bait with it.But the sweet spot to me is around 5oz with bait.I’ve also thrown down to 2oz lures with it in a pinch.It’s definitely a fast action rod. And that works for me because I like fast action rods.I did hear from some other anglers about the blue ones breaking when they first came out.I probably wouldn’t even of gotten the TFO,but I got such a killer deal it was hard to pass up.I got mine as a prototype test rod when they were designing them.Ive always liked the color blue though and don’t care what other people think.Its all about performance to me.I have blue Okuma Cedros rods and reels.Also have a blue Avet to.I too would use a pink and purple rod if I liked it and it performed well lol.

2 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

First off it's "you're" and second off what on EARTH are you talking about?!?!

Thanks grammar police, that added a lot to the thread. I was talking about different entities that are currently getting a bad rap. Any angst I'm recognizing in today's environment is not being cheered by me, just the opposite. 

26 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Thanks grammar police, that added a lot to the thread. I was talking about different entities that are currently getting a bad rap. Any angst I'm recognizing in today's environment is not being cheered by me, just the opposite. 

So you think if you’re a liberal...Asian...Or use a blue rod you “gotta watch your back”? 

interesting 

How exactly did you come to this conclusion?

Edited by Stopsign32v

1 min ago, Stopsign32v said:

So you think if you’re a liberal...Asian...Or use a blue rod you “gotta watch your back”? 

interesting 

Dude, stop derailing the thread. I didn't come to any conclusions, just recognized the unjust. Take a chill pill.

26 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Dude, stop derailing the thread. I didn't come to any conclusions, just recognized the unjust. Take a chill pill.

Well think twice before you tell someone they "gotta watch their back" because they are Asian...Christ

On 4/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, horsefly said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on TFO's Tactical Surf rods. I understand they are new but was wondering if someone has any info . Thanks

I've been fortunate enough to have fished the GIS surf prior to their phasing out to the new Tactical Surf. I have both the 10'6" 3/4-4oz GIS and new Tactical Surf rods and have to say that the Tactical Surf blank is MUCH better than the previous GIS. Recovery at the end of the cast is still a little sloppy with the Tactical Surf, but I will tell you that the new Tactical Surf blank on this model is so much more forgiving. The GIS blanks just don't load up well at all but the Tactical Surf is a totally different animal. Fished the Tac-Surf down in Jersey, fish up to 17lbs, and it loads up so much better than the recently phased-out GIS blanks. Granted, I took fish over 30lbs last season on the GIS blank, but pulled hooks were a reoccurring issue with the GIS. In terms of weight range, I think the sweet spot is around 1.5oz to 3oz. So far the rod seems to handle a wide variety of swimmers, gliders, metal lips, pencils, needles, etc. within that range. I haven't quite tested its outer limits yet but can fill you in soon.

6 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

interesting 

Don't know where you've been, but there's been so much Chinese bashing on this site that I warn any Chinese Fishing friends to visit this site at their own peril.

2 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

I'll add that I also held an Okuma Rockaway of similar size that day, and DAMN, it felt nice for $100+ cheaper!  Still.... too many rods.  One day...

I am holding this rod every day.

I have 4 of those.