nfnDrum

Why Fly? Is it the challenge?

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Serious question a buddy of mine is trying to get me into fly fishing. Why the obsession with fly? Is it just the challenge? I though fly would have a higher success rate with trout but that doesn't seem to be true at the moment, things may change as the season progresses. I'm sure he wants someone to talk shop with. I don't mind doing that now I learned allot about fly fishing this spring fishing with him. I just haven't picked up the fly rod. I've been doing quit well with my current technic. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I got into it to try something different, I enjoy getting better at casting and presenting my flies. I also think that the fight is a bit more fun but those are all just personal preference. I think it can be more effective in certain situations like a dry fly hatch or when fish are feeding on small bait but an experienced and prepared guy with a spin rod can do well in both those situations as well if they know how to adapt to them. Tying flies is also fun for me but I also have started tying my own jigs and people build their own plugs so thats not exclusive to fly fishing either.

For me, learning to fly cast well enough to fly fish was easier than it looks. It was a similar to learning how to use a baitcasting reel proficiently.  Like all methods, sometimes it out-fishes and other times it does not. I do it all and have no bias to any one method.  I enjoy 3-waying an eel with 12 ounces of lead as much as fishing a ned-rig on freshwater spinning to drifting a 2-team wetfly to trout. But there is a more connected feel (hard to describe) when catching fish on the fly. Fly gear can't over power the fish.  For example, watch a LM bass fisherman hook a LM with a jig then hoist over the gunwale of the boat with the rod.  Not much sport in the fight. Fly rods allows you to feel the fighting spirit.  I primarily fish for trout with a fly as I have a better success rate.  Maybe that's because I typically fish the Farmington River and that's what they do there. I mostly non-flyfish for salt (except for albies) and my fly fishing for freshwater bass is growing as it is the most fun. Be open to learning as many tools as you can. You will be a better fisher for it.  

Why do I fly fish? First to be honest I do spin and conventional rod fish quite a lot. However I do find myself fly fishing more as I get older. There are circumstances where you'll out fish the spin guy, but honestly not that often. I would compare it to bow hunting vs gun hunting deer. More challenging, more intimate with the quarry as you have the line in your hand vs through a reel, the rhythm of casting is as much a part of it as the fishing which is different than spin or conventional casting. Also I find it simpler, some make it complicated I don't.

To be a fisherman and only know one technique will limit your growth as an angler.

There are a ton of things that flyfishing will teach you about presentation that you can apply to lure and even bait fishing.  All forms feed each other and sticking to just one will limit your dimesions of understanding.

As with any fishery, when fish get keyed into one specific forage, sometimes flyfishing can be an advantage especially if that forage is so small that it cannot be presented by another means.

I started fly fishing in saltwater for the challenge.  It was pretty cool catching a 12lb bluefish on a fly in like 3' of water.  Since you also are holding the line when it happens, you feel the strike first hand. As I have gotten older I find myself fly fishing less and less.  This has more to do with the lack of fish then anything else.  It's no fun and exhausting blind casting for hours with no success.

I've used a baitcaster for over 40 years, I love the feel of a quality reel. I caught my PB Snook, 41" one my first cast on water, after a month at the school yard struggling to teach myself. The fight of that fish hooked me. It was hand to hand combat. Other fishing cannot compare to the feel of the fight. A PB on that first cast was a total fluke I've never bettered. I love that when fly fishing I can have in a small wallet, what a whole tackle box would be needed to hold. I love that I make the fly not some factory in China. I hate fly line management issues. I love less injury to the fish usually. I love that a quality reel will last my lifetime.

Well fly is about the only style i haven't tried yet. At some point i will find a location where i can zone out and play with it. 

Edited by nfnDrum

For me it comes down to self-loathing. To stand shin deep in a Virginia stream, native brook trout rising all around me, while I am unable to see well enough to thread the leader onto the size 18 hook is a bliss no Dominatrix could bring me. Then, fly tied on after 20 minutes, to have my backcast form an impossible web in the tree I failed to notice behind me just adds to the joy. In the boat lining up the perfect cast, shooting the line and having it catch on a cleat elicits screams of pleasure every time. Oh yes, it sounds like I’m cursing and the prefix “mother” is often used but really, I’m happy just to be out there. Really. Watching a pod of albies 125’ off the beach when I can only cast 90’. Well it just doesn’t get any better than that! Then one day after all that you put your cast at 11:00 to a daisy chain and watch even a juvie tarpon eat it, for once in your life you strip set correctly, bow as needed and release that ray of silver. Then you know.

The challenge is a large part of it. There are specific times and places when a flyrod can take fish, where others cannot.

Mainly, though, women really dig men who fish with fly tackle, and the use of fluorocarbon leader attracts them.

With spin fishing for trout, i personally felt i had learned all there was to learn and going out and catching 30 to 50 trout on a good day was no longer as enjoyable or satisfying.  Switching to fly fishing 3 years back opened up a whole new world.  A world where there is infinite oppurtunities to continue learning and improving.

I think i find fishing more enjoyable when i am continously learning and improving my skill set.  

On the pressured waters i fish, the trout stop taking artificials a couple weeks past stocking and it becomes either a fly or bait game.  I personnaly find fly fishing much more satisfying and challenging these days.

1 hour ago, stormy monday said:

For me it comes down to self-loathing. To stand shin deep in a Virginia stream, native brook trout rising all around me, while I am unable to see well enough to thread the leader onto the size 18 hook is a bliss no Dominatrix could bring me. Then, fly tied on after 20 minutes, to have my backcast form an impossible web in the tree I failed to notice behind me just adds to the joy. In the boat lining up the perfect cast, shooting the line and having it catch on a cleat elicits screams of pleasure every time. Oh yes, it sounds like I’m cursing and the prefix “mother” is often used but really, I’m happy just to be out there. Really. Watching a pod of albies 125’ off the beach when I can only cast 90’. Well it just doesn’t get any better than that! Then one day after all that you put your cast at 11:00 to a daisy chain and watch even a juvie tarpon eat it, for once in your life you strip set correctly, bow as needed and release that ray of silver. Then you know.

Well said.  Had me cracking up.  Stem the tide for Albies, no casting needed, ;).

I would say the simplicity of fly fishing is one thing that makes it awsome. You can make a fly out of bird feathers some string and a hook  and catch fish. You only need your rod and a small little box to go fishing. 

Fly fishing can be a simple or as complicated as you want it to be.  It is a paradox, wrapped in an enigma, sitting on a contradiction, but oh I love it so.  I have been fly fishing for over 50 years- I never get tired of it.  In the last 4 years, I have branched out into different styles ( two hander/spey and euro- nymph)  I have begun to tie most of my own flies (I used to many years ago).  Last night, I went to a local, normally crowded, heavily stocked spot.  I went practice my roll casting with my glass rod and the new furled leader I just bought.  I stood in the rain and practiced for an hour, enjoyed my cigar and felt the cold creep through my waders.  Did not touch a fish; nor did I care...  It was blissful...

I can be bamboo snob or an articulated streamer ripper; I can be a spey fisherman who seriously hopes he does not catch a fish as it would interrupt the zen of the casting...  Fly Fishing keeps me sane; it literally saved my life in a very dark time...  But, I digress.

The mark of a successful man is one that has spent an entire day on the bank of a river without feeling guilty about it

Edited by titleguy