New yota

St. Croix TSF106MH2 Rattles (new rod)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Salty Veins said:

I've had new rods that kind of creak when you flex them, never caused a problem. Went away over time. Wasn't a rattle at the joint though.

It is strange. I just can’t believe I should have to use any more force and seat it any further than I am. Any rod I ever owned went together and felt firm  and tightly seated with no issues. Going to send it back and look for another brand with same specs. 

Edited by New yota

1 hour ago, Salty Veins said:

I've had new rods that kind of creak when you flex them, never caused a problem. Went away over time. Wasn't a rattle at the joint though.

I know there are stickers that say matched set do not separate on the package. I just wonder if this had occurred?Second one like this. 

1 min ago, New yota said:

I know there are stickers that say matched set do not separate on the package. I just wonder if this had occurred?Second one like this. 

When you break a top/bottom section they can send you a new one that fits, so I can't imagine the variation between rods is enough to cause this.

4 mins ago, New yota said:

It is strange. I just can’t believe I should have to use any more force and seat it any further than I am. Any rod I ever owned went together and felt firm  and tightly seated with no issues. Going to send it back and look for another brand with same specs. 

Definitely don't use a lot of force. Just snug is all it should take, and if it still wobbles return it 100%.

What is this a Triumph? The latest one? I’ve got later models never had a problem. 

If your saying 2 rods same model are both having this supposed defect, I’d suggest you take pics, probably a video, and contact St Croix.

Maybe your retailer got a bad batch if that’s even possible, or their being damaged in shipping, or user error? I don’t know but I own way too many St Croix rods, and never had problems with them or the company standing by their product. 

Yes. Triumph. Started thread incase of “user error”, or something else such as damage. Rod this size is new two me.  Have another 9’ two pc brand new triumph and it went together no issues no slop or rattle. I give it one more going over and double check it before sending it back. 

Edited by New yota

Boxed up. Going back. Tried one last time with a little Johnson paste wax buffed on it. Slid on about same 5 1/4 overlap. Not going to force it any further. Thanks for all the input. 

I have this rod,  Have had it for about 10 years.  Just checked and Overlap is 5 1/4” for tight solid fit.  Rod is rated 2-6 oz. I only use it as bait rod with 4-5 oz. 

58 mins ago, JimJ said:

I have this rod,  Have had it for about 10 years.  Just checked and Overlap is 5 1/4” for tight solid fit.  Rod is rated 2-6 oz. I only use it as bait rod with 4-5 oz. 

thanks.Mine I got had same overlap. Guess you experienced no rattle?The two I got had a problem then if you had none. Probably going with ODM DNA 3-8 ounce Cost more but better rod. 

Edited by New yota