New yota

St. Croix TSF106MH2 Rattles (new rod)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Never owned a rod of this size so not sure if this is nature of the beast.I ordered one of these(not overly expensive I know) and returned it for another due to when I put it together with what I consider a good amount of force it rattles at the joint. Got second one today.I am afraid to apply anymore force,since it seems very tight .Same issue. I just feel it shouldn’t do this.Neverhad a two piece rod do this.I own a 9.5 foot Triumph Surf two piece with no issues like this. Any words of wisdom?thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've got a Tica T2 that has a rattle when the two sections are together, apart they're quite.  I just chalk it up to a ill fitting ferrule.  It doesn't effect anything I only use it for tog from shore.

If its new and it bothers you, just return and exchange it

Edited by ne_dan

49 mins ago, shark lobster said:

You sure that is were the rattle is and not inside the handle? 

Yes. Can’t imagine trying to jig with this and feel this. 

Edited by New yota

12 hours ago, New yota said:

I put it together with what I consider a good amount of force it rattles at the joint. Got second one today.I am afraid to apply anymore force,since it seems very tight

Make sure you have the joint fully seated - a rod like that will be designed to have around 3" of insert or fit and you are only getting say 1.5" it will rattle and ultimately will break. (think of holding onto the end of a broom stick with 2 fingers and your thumb vs your whole hand)

You mentioned it was a very tight fit; I am suspecting it is not fully seated, despite your description of a good amount of force, the actual overlap distance is more important.

Easy check, assemble rod, mark with masking tape; take apart and measure

Edited by ZAFisher

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Make sure you have the joint fully seated - a rod like that will be designed to have around 3" of insert or fit and you are only getting say 1.5" it will rattle and ultimately will break. (think of holding onto the end of a broom stick with 2 fingers and your thumb vs your whole hand)

You mentioned it was a very tight fit; I am suspecting it is not fully seated, despite your description of a good amount of force, the actual overlap distance is more important.

Forget what I measured last night but it was over 3” more like 4-5”.

1 hour ago, Jim McFeeley said:

I have a cts that acts the same way. The rod really needs pushed together to be seated probably. 

Had it pushed in far and so much that a pair of  rubber coated gloves to grip  were needed to get it apart.

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

I did the masking tape thing also and did push it in further yesterday,but it just seems it is not right.Just don’t want to break it.

The joint probably needs a bit of fettling, but you should not have to do this yourself, it should be fine as purchased, if you do anything to the joint yourself, you could end up voiding the warranty..

Take it back.