NJTramcar

Plano tray storage - what do you use?

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I have plano trays all over the garage.  Mostly 3600 trays but others.

What are you using to store and organize the trays?  Add pics too if you have them.

Ugh, this has been on my mind too. I have 4 planos, 2 14" and 2 11", that go on the kayak with me, size depending on whether I have the sail that day. So I fill them with what I need for my targets from other boxes of various size and makes. Those boxes have been an utter mess. I'm trying to figure out the best organization of the storage. Plugs are easy, but having all the bottom fishing weights in one box make it ridiculously heavy!

I keep my boxes in a larger box, stacked on their side like a filing cabinet.  I have 5 tackle trays lined up inside the tote box and have space on one end for other odds and ends, smaller boxes that are ready to fish, etc.  I found keeping soft plastics in a shoe box works great for me.  The freshwater bait packs fit perfectly, the bigger swimbaits and saltwater plastics are in a boot box.  I'm planning to set up a second tote box with more tackle trays so I can be better organized.  I have too many lures in each tray and need to divide them up a bit better.  I also use another tote box to carry my gear to my car.  Boots, waders, tackle, and anything else I need that will fit goes in the box.  It goes a long way to help keep the car clean!  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plano sportsman trunk. I forget which size trunk exactly but it fits 3600 trays perfectly width wise and I drop them in standing up and can fit 12 in, then I can fit 3 or 4 3700 boxes on the flat on top and still close and lock the lid. 

I can post a pic later but easy to grab the box and travel with in the vehicle. 

I labeled each tray with what's inside so I don't have to guess what's in them. 

If I don't want to take all my trays I have a few small sling bags that fit 3 or 4 trays in them and I just pick out the jigs I want to use before my trip

Edited by Italianbuca

21 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

Plano sportsman trunk. I forget which size trunk exactly but it fits 3600 trays perfectly width wise and I drop them in standing up and can fit 12 in, then I can fit 3 or 4 3700 boxes on the flat on top and still close and lock the lid. 

I can post a pic later but easy to grab the box and travel with in the vehicle. 

I labeled each tray with what's inside so I don't have to guess what's in them. 

If I don't want to take all my trays I have a few small sling bags that fit 3 or 4 trays in them and I just pick out the jigs I want to use before my trip

Thanks, I would like to see it.  Do you have a model number?  There seems to be several sizes and models available.

Sure thing. 

Pretty positive I got it at homedepot too. In the spring they usually have storage sales so I got it for short money compared to basspro or other sports stores. Has been doing the trick well for me. 

Loading pics from my phone so hopefully the images aren't huge/distorted. 

Still room to fit a couple more stacked with the lid locked. System works great for me. I bounce around the cape and to the vineyard so it's easy to grab and go from my house then pick out what I need for my bag for the day.

Although at the rate I'm going purchasing plugs I'm going to need another box haha. 

20210428_175909.jpg

20210428_175918.jpg

20210428_175932.jpg

20210428_175948.jpg

The cheap "fake" milk crates that Walmart sells fit 3600s nicely in one direction and 3700s nicely in the other (note, these are a different size than the real square milk crates). That's what I use when transporting them to the boat. In the house they're just stacked on shelves. 

Edited by Salty Veins

6 hours ago, NJTramcar said:

Very nice, did you make it?

Yeah, scrap wood and some 1/4" plywood so minimal cost.

Doesn't travel well like the totes though :)

16 hours ago, Mangomania said:

Picture isn't the best . .. 3600 size boxes

WIN_20210428_14_17_03_Pro (2).jpg

I like that alot. Wish I was handier with wood, I'd make one. 

I just stick all my boxes in a tote. Not the most organized at the moment.  One day I'll get there! 

Eta. What size trays are you guys finding the most useful?  

Edited by PSegnatelli