ianroddie

Swivel or knot to connect braid to leader

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2021 at 11:19 PM, MikeK said:

99 percent of the time i go with a rosco or spro swivel.  Not sure about size as i look at stength.  A general rule of thumb is 2x the max weight of the fish you.  Assuming we are talking bass here.  I would go with 100, 120 or 150 lb swivel, so you dont find yourself undergunned when that once in a lifetime fish connects.

Also, use a much longer leader.  4 or 5 ft with a 9 ft rod.

Why does the length of the rod change the length of the leader?

2 mins ago, njcatchrelease said:

So you don't have to cast the leader through the guides and bang up your knot or guides with a swivel.

2 hours ago, njcatchrelease said:

Longer rod lets you cast longer leaders more comfortably.  I can cast a 4 leader with a 9 ft rod, no issues.  A 4 foot leader on a 5 foot rod can be problematic for casting.

You dont want to cast the swivel through your guies as you will blow out or chip the insert 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, ianroddie said:

What size spro power swivel is good to attach braid to leader or is it better to tie direct like FG, Alberto knot, etc.

Also I only fish lures no bait don’t know if it matters but ya.

Also is 30” a good length for a leader for stripers? 
thanks been having some trouble with my leaders and swivels lately. I’m trying not to hit the tip of my rod with the swivel.

If all you're doing is casting lures, lose the swivel. It's always going to be an issue with your tip. Tying direct solves that problem. The three "best" knots for casting are: PR Knot(requires a bobbin), FG Knot and Alberto-

FG Knot:

I can tie this knot in a minute in the wind. The rizzuto finish takes about 2 minutes and burn your tags. 

Alberto Knot:

This is a simpler knot to tie and a lot of surfcasters use it. I can tie it in a minute, soup to nuts. It's not as strong as the FG and it doesn't go through your guides as smoothly, but it's easier to tie.

If you're using and FG, leader length isn't important, because the knot flies through your guides. 30-48" is pretty much what everyone uses for plugging, some go shorter, most settle on about 3' give or take. Find out what's comfortable for you. Practice tying whichever knot you settle on until you can tie it in the dark and wind.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:51 PM, ianroddie said:

What size spro power swivel is good to attach braid to leader or is it better to tie direct like FG, Alberto knot, etc.

Also I only fish lures no bait don’t know if it matters but ya.

Also is 30” a good length for a leader for stripers? 
thanks been having some trouble with my leaders and swivels lately. I’m trying not to hit the tip of my rod with the swivel.

I think the biggest takeaway from these posts is that either a swivel or properly tied knot will work well. Some folks like the swivel, others like myself don't use one.

Regarding the leader, I will give you some words of wisdom. Longer leaders, like 3-5ft in length, are better around rocks and structure than shorter leaders. Also, if you're wading and intend to land fish in the water vs beaching a fish, a longer leader is easy to grab and will not cut you like braid will with wet hands. A longer leader also keeps your hands further away from hooks if you're using lures with multiple hooks, thus reducing the chance of an accident. I personally fish a 3-4ft leader for this reason, regardless if I'm on a rocky beach or smooth sand. A 30" leader should be just fine for a 9' rod.

On 4/28/2021 at 0:01 PM, faithless said:

Also I did have 2 or 3 instances where a bluefish attacked the swivel and cut me off instantly.

That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me too. I had my bag basically emptied during a mixed blitz and since then, I don't use swivels...and I went to 60 and 80# leaders.