ianroddie

Swivel or knot to connect braid to leader

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

For rods over 10' I just use a double uni for braid to leader and about 4' leader.   Simple and can tie it in the dark, its not fancy but it works

I put a bead on my braid, tie on a swivel, tie on roughly 36" of leader, and top it off with a TA clip. Improved clinch knots all the way around.

Stripers and blues aren't typically known to be line shy.

I tie direct and run a 4 or 5 foot leader on a 10’6” rod. It’s just that much less braid being pulled through the sand or across rocks. It’s also better to grab a fish by the leader than braid. 

Also, if I want to add a teaser I just tie a dropper loop in the leader and I’m good to go. 

I keep my leader as short as possible. the only reason I use a leader is to grab it, instead of grabbing the braid, when lifting the fish out of the surf. otherwise there is no reason for a leader when throwing lures for stripers. 

Definitely learn to tie leader to braid.  I used to use a swivel and i have experienced too many times when reeling my line in and i dont pay attention, the swivel hits or goes thru the 1st guide.  Luckily i never had damage, but i can foresee it happening if i continued to do so.  

Now i just tie leader to braid directly.  I also add a tiny drop of crazy glue to the knot for insurance.  This method has never failed me.

-Evil

30lb braid and double uni to 30lb leader to swivel & TA & lure.
My leader (mono/fluorocarbon) is less than 3ft when its new on a 13ft rod.

My swivel never go into tip guide.

Not always using swivel.

15 hours ago, no name said:

I keep my leader as short as possible. the only reason I use a leader is to grab it, instead of grabbing the braid, when lifting the fish out of the surf. otherwise there is no reason for a leader when throwing lures for stripers. 

Abrasion resistance is a huge reason.  

You should use whatever you like best. I like using a swivel. The Palomar knot is incredibly easy to tie and is one of the strongest knots around. Tying improved clinch for leader is also incredibly easy and strong. A swivel combines simplicity and strength. While I agree more points of failure is generally a bad thing, both Palomar and the Improved Clinch are super easy knots. Alberto/Albright knots are relatively easy to tie but prone to randomly slipping. The FG Knot is obviously great but not the easiest to tie either. I'd fish a Palomar with Improved Clinch for years with confidence. The swivel would rust out before the knots ever break. 

Reeling a swivel past your tip shouldn't be a problem for any experienced fisherman. You should have an idea of where your swivel is based off the length of your leader/distance to your plug. It's second nature. 

Spro 130lb, goes through tip no problem. Try to keep your leader length the consistant.  I use 3ft on beach and 5ft in most inlets.

This is a beaten to death topic mainly because there are excellent fishermen who do this completely differently which tells you just to find what works for you and keep tweaking it each year. Good luck!

From my main line to my leader I tie a knot but on my leader I take a bead shaped piece of rubber grub that a fish has destroyed and use it as a bumper between my swivel and the rods top eye. Because if the metal swivel hits the ceramic eye it will crack..