ianroddie

Swivel or knot to connect braid to leader

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ianroddie said:

What size spro power swivel is good to attach braid to leader or is it better to tie direct like FG, Alberto knot, etc.

Also I only fish lures no bait don’t know if it matters but ya.

Also is 30” a good length for a leader for stripers? 
thanks been having some trouble with my leaders and swivels lately. I’m trying not to hit the tip of my rod with the swivel.

I use the Size 4 or 6 Spro Power Swivel for most but I do drop down to the size 8 for the small schoolies in early spring of very late fall.

I always land up bringing the swivel into the tiptop.

Haven't chipped or broken one, YET! LOL

Leader depends on where youre fishing.

On the rocks and jetties it can be 4 to 6 ft of 50 to 80#. Sand beaches I use 24 inches of 30 or 50#.

25 mins ago, ianroddie said:

For a 9’ spinning rod would 30” be too long I see a lot of people on here using 20” leaders to swivel

All depends on back cast space and style. Plus, if you cut and re-tie a lot, 20” disappears real fast. 

Even on my boat stuff, I start with 5 feet or so to FG knot. Long leader helps with landing and I have plenty of length with the cut and re tie before I kneed to change out. 

I use pretty large swivels. No idea what size or what they're rated for. If i can get a hold of them with my fingers without needing a Da Vinci surgery tool then they're strong enough for me.  No idea why anyone would use tiny swivels.  You should be able to feel your plug approaching and pick it up before it hits the tip- most of the time. And if you hit it, so what. 

Swivels add unnecessary hardware which can fail.

Swivels require two knots, one on each end, to make your connection doubling your opportunity for knot failure.

Swivels can catch in guides and break guide inserts.
No need for swivels.

Leader tied direct to mainline won’t give you any problems when you know how to make a proper connection.

Alberto or Albright knot will get it done every time.

Learn to tie direct  and live better.

You’ll thank me someday.

I use 30lb braid to 30lb mono leader via albright knot.  If I need something finer that 30lb I add a piece of "tippet" to the 30lb mono via a blood knot.  I can tie both quickly and at night.  I don't want a swivel coming through my guides.

Direct, no swivels, no TA clip, just braid to leader, hook and bait.

I like to keep it as simple as possible mostly because I do mostly night fishing and its just easier. 

Any big fish I have lost have been to my my own laziness and not retying a leader and it was frayed or she was a smart girl and wrapped me around a rock.

1 hour ago, valentine said:

Swivels add unnecessary hardware which can fail.

Swivels require two knots, one on each end, to make your connection doubling your opportunity for knot failure.

Swivels can catch in guides and break guide inserts.
No need for swivels.

Leader tied direct to mainline won’t give you any problems when you know how to make a proper connection.

Alberto or Albright knot will get it done every time.

Learn to tie direct  and live better.

You’ll thank me someday.

Much of this is very false, but i like to say, whatever works for you the best is what you should do.  I can tell you an albright is the worst knot you can tie for most kinds of fishing. The tag end does not lay against the knot and it will catch on your braid sometimes during the cast and in some cases damage it.  Yes, you can clip it even, but good luck with that. The albright is an OK knot for vertical stuff like bottom fishing.  I've tried them all and in the end a big barrel swivel is the best for what i do for strength and ease in getting back into the game.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use a size 4 spro power swivel. The smaller ones gets tought to tie to with heavier leaders.  I then pretend different leader types (i.e. size, length, mono/fluro and clips) and keep in a leader wallet.  The swivel makes it easier to tie on and change leaders as necessary. Also a place where I can clip a teaser using a short leader on a ta clip to the swivel. 

Palomar knots all around. Easy to tie and reliable

Edited by Italianbuca

28 mins ago, Fly By Nite said:

Much of this is very false, but i like to say, whatever works for you the best is what you should do.  I can tell you an albright is the worst knot you can tie for most kinds of fishing. The tag end does not lay against the knot and it will catch on your braid sometimes during the cast and in some cases damage it.  Yes, you can clip it even, but good luck with that. The albright is an OK knot for vertical stuff like bottom fishing.  I've tried them all and in the end a big barrel swivel is the best for what i do for strength and ease in getting back into the game.

Agree that there’s more than one way to skin a cat and you should stick with whatever works for you.

But how can you say my statement is false if it’s working for me?

6 hours ago, ianroddie said:

For a 9’ spinning rod would 30” be too long I see a lot of people on here using 20” leaders to swivel

No 30-36” is the standard for me with 9-10’ rods

I am shoched to see how short of a leader some people are running.  I personally like to make sure the braid has no chance of rubbing the dorsal fin or rocks + muscle beds im a often fishing near.  4 to 5 feet is pretty standard for me.

9 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Stick a plastic bead behind the swivel. Provides a bit of cushion.  

Whats the difference between reeling a bead

or the swivel to your eye tip? Cant imagine having

an extra bead.

10 mins ago, yosco said:

Whats the difference between reeling a bead

or the swivel to your eye tip? Cant imagine having

an extra bead.

Steel vs plastic.