ianroddie

Swivel or knot to connect braid to leader

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

What size spro power swivel is good to attach braid to leader or is it better to tie direct like FG, Alberto knot, etc.

Also I only fish lures no bait don’t know if it matters but ya.

Also is 30” a good length for a leader for stripers? 
thanks been having some trouble with my leaders and swivels lately. I’m trying not to hit the tip of my rod with the swivel.

I use a small spro swivel not sure the exact size but small. My leader is usually around 18inches. Get a leader wallet and bring out pre tied leaders swivel 18inch tactical angle clip. I think swivel is the way to go because if you’re fishing bottom or something get snagged and lose you’re leader you got another one ready to go fast knot braid to swivel 

There isn't one way. 

If its spinning? I go with a swivel somewhere in line to stop line twist. 

Baitcaster or conventional,  tie direct to main line with a red Phillips knot. 

1 min ago, The Riddler said:

There isn't one way. 

If its spinning? I go with a swivel somewhere in line to stop line twist. 

Baitcaster or conventional,  tie direct to main line with a red Phillips knot. 

Thanks what size spro swivel you recommend for a 9’ spinning rod I’m think either the size 2 or size 4 swivel and do you use a set length?

5 mins ago, ianroddie said:

Thanks what size spro swivel you recommend for a 9’ spinning rod I’m think either the size 2 or size 4 swivel and do you use a set length?

For spinning its an 18" leader for me. I use a size 4. If you have a problem getting caught up in the tip or need a longer leader with spinning? Just go with a Alberto Tactical Angler clip and a Spro to the buisness end. Join line and leader with Red Phillips knot.

CF5F72B9-39AF-4C82-BC52-B0A7C4B34A32.jpeg

99 percent of the time i go with a rosco or spro swivel.  Not sure about size as i look at stength.  A general rule of thumb is 2x the max weight of the fish you.  Assuming we are talking bass here.  I would go with 100, 120 or 150 lb swivel, so you dont find yourself undergunned when that once in a lifetime fish connects.

Also, use a much longer leader.  4 or 5 ft with a 9 ft rod.

Used to use swivels. It has it's benefits but makes your leaders short. Also night time is a no go. Honestly learn a decent knot and get good tying it at night. At night once you feel the knot got through your tip you know you are at the leader without seeing it. Makes a world of difference for me.

Depends on the length of your leader. If a short leader, outside your tip, I tended to use a palomar knot from braid to an 80 pound spro barrel swivel. Then pick your knot for the leader from Spro to lure. 

If you prefer a  very long leader that goes through the guides, then I go FG knot from braid to leader. 

I like the idea of a swivel but I recently messed up my tip of my rod because of the swivel on accident and now I am weary about using a swivel again especially at night. When I LM bass fish, I always use an Alberto knot and know how to tie it good so that might be good.

8 mins ago, Maine Guide said:

Depends on the length of your leader. If a short leader, outside your tip, I tended to use a palomar knot from braid to an 80 pound spro barrel swivel. Then pick your knot for the leader from Spro to lure. 

If you prefer a  very long leader that goes through the guides, then I go FG knot from braid to leader. 

For a 9’ spinning rod would 30” be too long I see a lot of people on here using 20” leaders to swivel

20 mins ago, ianroddie said:

I like the idea of a swivel but I recently messed up my tip of my rod because of the swivel on accident and now I am weary about using a swivel again especially at night. When I LM bass fish, I always use an Alberto knot and know how to tie it good so that might be good.

Stick a plastic bead behind the swivel. Provides a bit of cushion.