Drew9745

Flying with rods

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So I'm traveling to FL in a couple weeks and will be fishing with some friends. Plan on bringing rods..(7'-7'6") I have a Plano Jumbo travel case/tube from years back that I've never actuay flown with. Anyone have any experience with using rod carriers on JetBlue? I'm anticipating a fee, which i dont mind, just not sure what kind of additional hassle to expect.. Any feedback would be great, thanks!! 

I am heading up to RI from Florida tomorrow. Southwest. They said up to 3” diameter and up to 91” before oversized. We will see. I have 3 nine footers packed. They are all 70/30 split. My tube is 3” and 87” long. I will let you know. 

Had the same plan, oversized Plano rod tubes and yes I would bank on having to track it down at oversized luggage which can be an issue if you have a connecting flight!

I’ve had 2 custom rods broken from TSA. They took off my clip to inspect and never closed the carrier back up, and when the rod carrier arrived to my destination the tips were broken off.

They were one piece rods though so travel rods should be ok. 

Not jetblue but it was painless when i flew with southwest. I just bought a piece of 3 inch pvc and glued a screw cap to one end and a cap to the other. Thought it would be much more durable than anything you could buy, and much cheaper. Fit i think 6 rods up to 7'6 in it. Put each rod in one of those nylon rod sleeves and then just stuffed a t shirt in the ends to stop them from sliding back and forth. Couldnt complain considering it counted as one of my free checked bags. Didnt give me a problem at all checking it. Southwest has an exception in the baggage policy where you can bring rods without it qualifying as over sized baggage. Told them what was in the tube and that was it. Id imagine jetblue probably has a similar policy

7 hours ago, HenryKillwater said:

I have done a fair amount of travel fishing and ended up just buying a three piece travel rod that I carry on the plane with my fly rods.  So much less of a headache. 

That’s what I do, much less hassle, I find JetBlue very accommodating.

9 hours ago, HenryKillwater said:

I have done a fair amount of travel fishing and ended up just buying a three piece travel rod that I carry on the plane with my fly rods.  So much less of a headache. 

I agree. My second choice is mailing. I think Okuma may still have a 1/2 off on nomad travel rods.  

So there was absolutely no problem at Southwest this morning. My 3” x 88” rod tube was checked through without a second glance. 

15 mins ago, mtl50 said:

So there was absolutely no problem at Southwest this morning. My 3” x 88” rod tube was checked through without a second glance. 

Good to hear.

6 mins ago, Drew9745 said:

Good to hear.

Let’s see how it is at the other end. I have two custom Rod Geeks and a SaltX 9’6. I will let you know. 

11 hours ago, mtl50 said:

Let’s see how it is at the other end. I have two custom Rod Geeks and a SaltX 9’6. I will let you know. 

I had an easier time on the way back, not that it was difficult departing anyway. My tube was like 3" over the max so i could fit some 7'6 rods and i was hoping they were gonna let it slide. When i left they measured it on an angle on the wall so they didnt notice. For my return flight it already had a baggage label on it from the flight in so they just slapped a new one on without thinking twice about it 

Pleased to say that my rods arrived at the same airport I did and with no damage! Yahoo. Look out Stripers!