Hobie Mirage drive and Hull

Hi everybody, 

I hope you are having a great day.

I bought a used hobie kayak, old one. It has 2 problems.  1 is the drive : the chain scratches the cable when pedaling. 2 is the hull. there is a crack. right above the screw.

I haven't tested it yet. But the price was really good so I bought it.  One pic of the drive shows the damaged cable because of scratching (hard to see from the angle, but it does scratch the cable). The other shows the position when the scratch happens.  How to fix these 2 problems? Thank you very much. 

chain 0.JPG

chian 1.JPG

Hull 0.JPG

hull 1.JPG

Welcome aboard. The cables probably need tightening. The  Hobie site describes how much the cables should ‘give’ when pinched together. The cable hardware looks sketchy, and that rust just above the cable swages  may eventually break it. The 3 new cables are about $100.

Is there access in the hull at or near the crack. Remove the screw, try a bright light to determine its severity. You could also flood the hull to check it out. 

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

1 hour ago, mirageclassic2002 said:

Hi everybody, 

I hope you are having a great day.

I bought a used hobie kayak, old one. It has 2 problems.  1 is the drive : the chain scratches the cable when pedaling. 2 is the hull. there is a crack. right above the screw.

I haven't tested it yet. But the price was really good so I bought it.  One pic of the drive shows the damaged cable because of scratching (hard to see from the angle, but it does scratch the cable). The other shows the position when the scratch happens.  How to fix these 2 problems? Thank you very much. 

chain 0.JPG

chian 1.JPG

Hull 0.JPG

hull 1.JPG

How much did you pay? 

35 mins ago, cheech said:

Welcome aboard. The cables probably need tightening. The  Hobie site describes how much the cables should ‘give’ when pinched together. The cable hardware looks sketchy, and that rust just above the cable swages  may eventually break it. The 3 new cables are about $100.

Is there access in the hull at or near the crack. Remove the screw, try a bright light to determine its severity. You could also flood the hull to check it out. 

Thank you very much. This is a really old drive. I don't think the parts are still available. There is a hatch right behind the seat. As for the screw, I am very new to this, I don't know what it does, there is rudder line tied to the screw, looks like.  Also, the drive's left and right part can slide along the rod, I'm not going to say freely ,but fairly easy. In the attached pic, which is NOT the drive i have now,it's just for demonstration. 2 and 3 can slide along the rod 1 easily. They can be pushed toward each other to get close or pulled apart to some degree along the rod.

drive.JPG

That looks like a V1 Drive. Metal sprockets and all. 

Depending on the condition of the rest of the drive you may want to consider a Hobie Mirage Drive Drum Update Kit V1 to GT kit. 

Where is that crack? I’m not that familiar with kayaks of that vintage. 

Just now, atv223 said:

That looks like a V1 Drive. Metal sprockets and all. 

Depending on the condition of the rest of the drive you may want to consider a Hobie Mirage Drive Drum Update Kit V1 to GT kit. 

Where is that crack? I’m not that familiar with kayaks of that vintage. 

the crack is on the bottom , rear side of the hull. The line you see in the pic attached to the rudder.  If it's not leaking, maybe I can just leave it the way it is? Thank you. 

If you can pull the sprockets apart as in the pic, snug up the cables, this may stop the rubbing. If the sprockets are still floppy on the shaft, they need replacing or upgrading. I cover all the places the bare cable is exposed above the swages with grease, rust never sleeps!
  Hobie says the cables should deflect about 1/8” when pinched together. Most drives with moderate use I have touched could use some cable adjustment.

Did the seller say if it leaked? Test out the crack to see what you have, internal pics with the flash on may be helpful.

7D754248-1162-4C69-99A9-7D6BC726B115.jpeg

Edited by cheech
Spell

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Welcome ... opinion alert.

Cable - Looks like the sheathing is still intact, so based on the rest of the cable’s condition, keep calm and peddle on. Going forward, rinse in fresh water after every trip. It’s going to break ... don’t know when, so you might as well buy a replacement cable (set?) as soon as you can and keep with you (incl the correct sized spanner) after getting yourself acquainted on how to replace it (not difficult, have done it multiple times otw). Critical to have a spare paddle with you every trip!

Crack - Looks like the crack is just in the screw hole’s seat, so as long as it doesn’t extend any further down the hull you’re probably OK. To ****** it from cracking any further, VERY carefully drill a VERY shallow narrow hole at the furthermost point of the crack ONLY if it’s still the thick portion of the hole seat. A better solution would be to heat up the points of a metal prong, and twist & twirl the melted plastic back into each other from either side walls of the crack ... hope that makes sense ... 

$450 - As long as you’re prepared to do some McGyvering and are sensible in your decisions, I think you’ve scored. Good luck

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

The cables should be for a V1 Mirage Drive .... going to be tricky to find. Good luck

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Id replace those cables, or at least have a spare set with you when they inevitably break. Like others have said, sourcing replacement cables might be a challenge for that age of Drive

Be careful with tightening them as well. Dont want to put stress on other parts of the drive.

as far as the crack goes, not sure exactly where that is on the yak. what yr and model, Revo? It looks to be on the bottom so water will get in there, id try to repair that crack either melting plastic around it or getting some plastic to melt and fill the crack as best you can.

17 hours ago, cheech said:

If you can pull the sprockets apart as in the pic, snug up the cables, this may stop the rubbing. If the sprockets are still floppy on the shaft, they need replacing or upgrading. I cover all the places the bare cable is exposed above the swages with grease, rust never sleeps!
  Hobie says the cables should deflect about 1/8” when pinched together. Most drives with moderate use I have touched could use some cable adjustment.

Did the seller say if it leaked? Test out the crack to see what you have, internal pics with the flash on may be helpful.

7D754248-1162-4C69-99A9-7D6BC726B115.jpeg

Thank you very much for the reply. I will try that. What grease do you use? Also, what lubricant do you use? I have cal's grease and penn fishing reel grease. By the way, you said you saw many cables need to be adjusted , are they too tight or too loose usually? Thank you.

Edited by mirageclassic2002