Antagonizer

Dressed Tail Hooks

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,  we all know a nice dressed 5/0 hook looks great and provides some bling and action to the plug.  Where does everyone get there’s?  Do you wrap your own?  For me it’s my worst part of building a plug.  I enjoy the entire process except for when it come to dressing the 5/0.  I suck at it.  Lol.  

9 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

Hey guys,  we all know a nice dressed 5/0 hook looks great and provides some bling and action to the plug.  Where does everyone get there’s?  Do you wrap your own?  For me it’s my worst part of building a plug.  I enjoy the entire process except for when it come to dressing the 5/0.  I suck at it.  Lol.  

I tie all my own flags/dressed hooks. Takes little to no time. The worst part is if you want to epoxy the wraps....now that part sucks lol. If I’m only doing a few I’ll use UV cure because it’s quick or just Hard as Nails and call it a day

I do my own. I'm not great at it, but I find it relaxing to tie up a pile. I try and do a bunch at once, and usually in the winter. Then they are ready to just slap on later in the year.

Having a proper vise would be ideal, but I get away with some very rudimentary tools.

12 hours ago, Antagonizer said:

talk to @NJTramcar. he sells in the commercial BST here and makes a great product. flags and dressed hooks as well as teasers. he does custom colors as well.  

I tie all my own.  I also prefer the mustad 9510xxxs-SS over the VMC siwashes.

I find they sharpen better than the VMC’s, as well as last longer.

14 hours ago, Antagonizer said:

1 hour ago, surfstryker said:

talk to @NJTramcar. he sells in the commercial BST here and makes a great product. flags and dressed hooks as well as teasers. he does custom colors as well.  

Antagonizer, I would be happy to get you whatever you need. 

If you looking for tips to improve tying your own, without knowing your issue, make sure you are using good quality materials as the cheap ones end up looking like it and more importantly, acting that way in the water.  Take your time and have a plan.  This isn't a process to rush.  Rushing will end up looking like it.  I hope this helps.