Bluetaildragger

Slinging snakes -Hook direct to TA clip?

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I like slinging eels, and I like throwing plugs.  A lot of times, I like doing both.  I do not like having to tie on my eels rigs or my plugging leader when I switch between the two.  Anyone ever attach the hook they use for eeling straight to the TA clip, kind of like you would when fishing riggies? 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

I actually posted the same exact question last year and got no replies. There’s just something about the mindset of eel  fishing that makes you think you have to tie direct, I don’t see how attaching via clip would make any difference I guess it just boils down to tradition.

6 mins ago, Dave T. said:

I actually posted the same exact question last year and got no replies. There’s just something about the mindset of eel  fishing that makes you think you have to tie direct, I don’t see how attaching via clip would make any difference I guess it just boils down to tradition.

I’m all for crossing my T’s and dotting my I’s, and it feels kinda shortcuty.  I’ll let ya know how it goes 

I had one bad experience live lining a bunker with the hook on a TA. Not an ideal set up but I was unprepared and kinda rushing it. Something went wrong after a battle with a large striper and the clip bent out. I’m sure it was a freak thing but I try to direct tie everything now.

Most of the time in the surf is spent slinging snakes. I try to always tie direct. It takes seconds to cut/tie on a clip if you decide to switch to plugs.

Big fish will always challenge tackle....law of averages, they will win occasionally no matter how

great an angler you are.   

The trick is to build your rigs with confidence and knowledge.   Which of course you're trying to do here.

The other trick is to take a very hard look at your loses.   Once again you're trying to accomplish here.

I like tying direct with eels....live rigged or dead.   

If I want to switch it up I'll bring another setup.

I tend to only use clips for just lures....live lining I tend to tie direct.  It's probably an old school habit.    

The loses sometimes out weigh the wins......for me they'll always haunt me until last rites.   

Good luck.   Fly 

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Most of the time in the surf is spent slinging snakes. I try to always tie direct. It takes seconds to cut/tie on a clip if you decide to switch to plugs.

It's the back and forth that does it for me, and I prefer to snell hooks which I personally can't do in the conditions I fish.  I guess what I'm saying is, I'm a picky bastage that can't be pleased 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

6 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

It's the back and forth that does it for me, and I prefer to snell hooks which I personally can't do in the conditions I fish.  I guess what I'm saying is, I'm a picky bastage that can't be pleased 

You could always tie a clip to your braid and then switch barrel swiveled leaders back and forth.  Not my type of setup but it might work for you. 

2 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

So I like slinging eels, and I like throwing plugs.  A lot of times, I like doing both.  I do not like having to tie on my eels rigs or my plugging leader when I switch between the two.  Anyone ever attach the hook they use for eeling straight to the TA clip, kind of like you would when fishing riggies? 

I run a 12” leader with a barrel swivel on a circle hook for huking bunker when I’m throwing plugs. I hook that to the TA clip

30 mins ago, HenryKillwater said:

Why not tie a 12 inch leader to your eel hook and terminate to a split ring. Then you can clip on and off like a plug. 

Too much non-castable line... couple feet of leader, another couple feet of leader, and a 12 inch eel doesn’t cut it for me 

26 mins ago, hydraman said:

How about have a few leaders tied for each situation. A few of each. It take less than a minute to tie a leader to your main. 

That’s what I do now and have been doing for years, but I’m always looking to simplify/improve.  Used the setup I proposed tonight and it worked very well, so I think I’ve found the answer that works for me.  

Why not chose the method that you think affords the best opportunity of landing the biggest fish you may ever have on?