Eagles Dare

"Protected by DCR"

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, z-man said:

You’re a modern day Nostradamus. 

Thanks

BTW. when someone predicts something and then that something comes true you bringing it up is not a dig.......it’s a complement. A little freebie for next time. 

Edited by Tailslap

14 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Google "places to walk dogs near me".

There's an endless list.

You could also google places to golf, mountains to climb, beaches to swim at or anything else you could ever imagine. Did the internet ruin all of those things too?

47 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Thanks

BTW. when someone predicts something and then that something comes true you bringing it up is not a dig.......it’s a complement. A little freebie for next time. 

It’s not a compliment. Your prediction was nothing to be proud about. I think this thread has been derailed enough. Time to get back to the DCR sucking. 

3 mins ago, z-man said:

It’s not a compliment. Your prediction was nothing to be proud about. I think this thread has been derailed enough. Time to get back to the DCR sucking. 

Never said I was proud. I wish it never happened. But it is better to be right in life than being wrong. Correct? Something tells me you have issues admitting when you are wrong. No worries. We are all wrong sometimes. Now you can carry on with your DCR discussion. 

This place is pretty remote and doesn't get much use. So I don't think slobs, etc are the reason for the tags. The owner's website has a "hunting leases" section and both this area and a much smaller piece to the south show a status of "leased". Might have something to do with it but don't know why the DCR would be involved. I think it's been leased for a couple of years anyway. 

Hopefully nothing will change, haven't heard of anyone getting kicked out. Gotta be some reason they bothered to mark it though.

Mike is absolutely correct blaming fb and Instagram for places being blown up. I’ve seen it first hand in my local town. Last year we had a local hiking spot being overrun with people from out of town. It became so bad the police shut it down to anyone from out of town. Let’s not even get started on what it’s done to the canal either because that’s a whole nother can of worms. 

23 mins ago, newcut said:

I don't get leaving  the little bags. If you can't be bothered to take it with you, no need to enshrine it for eternity. 

Right?

Some places they pile up. Little mounds of nastiness. Who TF do they expect to clean it up?

One of the things they like to do is stuff them in those tubes meant for discarded fishing line. I feel bad for the volunteers who have to deal with that.

My response to the sentiment "everyone has a right to use the trails equally", I say sure. The white bucket brigade has an equal right to use your favorite striper spot too. Just remember that when you can't get a parking spot, they have the jetty locked up and the parking lot is full of trash.

2 hours ago, newcut said:

I don't get leaving  the little bags. If you can't be bothered to take it with you, no need to enshrine it for eternity. 

I think most people are just idiots. I’ve seen some poop bags miles out on the trails. Just let your dog crap off the trail and let nature take care of it. I think these idiots think that because the bag is biodegradable that they are supposed to leave it there. 

3 mins ago, z-man said:

I think most people are just idiots. I’ve seen some poop bags miles out on the trails. Just let your dog crap off the trail and let nature take care of it. I think these idiots think that because the bag is biodegradable that they are supposed to leave it there. 

Ive never seen poop bags as a long time viable solution.  The main reason being, people are just unwilling to carry their dog's poop around with them.  You see them discarded and hanging in trees everywhere.

As a bird hunter, and a guy who likes to train dogs, my feeling is if a dog runs into the woods, well off any trail and takes a dump, what's the problem?  I hunt birds over 30 days a year. I hunt in  areas where there are other hunters and lots of dogs. I can honestly say I can't recall the last time I stepped in dog poop. It's been years. 

However, I see poop bags hanging in trees in some crazy remote places.

Granted, some well meaning dog parent thought he was being politically correct when he picks up his dogs poop.  But hanging it in a tree along a hiking trail is far worse than if they simply left it on the ground when it came out of the dog. Another classic example of a solution in search of a problem.

11 mins ago, z-man said:

This is a generalization. We (my wife and I) are dog walkers and we enjoy walking trails in the woods. WE religiously bag and carry out our dog's poop. Yes, there are a material number of irresponsible dog owners who let they're dogs go anywhere (which is against posted regulations on most spots). but it's not all ... it's not even most IMO. I will get in peoples' faces if they don't pick up their dog's mess.

As far as Social Media overload regarding spots ... it's foolish to believe your favorite PUBLIC trails will remain obscure from the public in general, regardless of FB etc. It's public ... we all share it for whatever our reasons/goals. As long as you are not violating rules/regulations, its open for 1st come/1st serve.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

Ive never seen poop bags as a long time viable solution.  The main reason being, people are just unwilling to carry their dog's poop around with them.  You see them discarded and hanging in trees everywhere.

As a bird hunter, and a guy who likes to train dogs, my feeling is if a dog runs into the woods, well off any trail and takes a dump, what's the problem?  I hunt birds over 30 days a year. I hunt in  areas where there are other hunters and lots of dogs. I can honestly say I can't recall the last time I stepped in dog poop. It's been years. 

Granted, some well meaning dog parent thought he was being politically correct when he picks up his dogs poop.  But hanging it in a tree along a hiking trail is far worse than if they simply left it on the ground when it came out of the dog. Another classic example of a solution in search of a problem.

I agree with your use-case ... if you are off the beaten path then there isn't a real need to bag poop. The reason it's expected on the hi traffic trails is for health reasons. If you are letting a mass of dogs poop in a small area you'll have health problems.

3 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I agree with your use-case ... if you are off the beaten path then there isn't a real need to bag poop. The reason it's expected on the hi traffic trails is for health reasons. If you are letting a mass of dogs poop in a small area you'll have health problems.

Not looking to argue with you.  But could you please be specific about health problems and diseases associated with stepping in dog poop?  Even the omnipotent DCR alludes to this, but is never specific.

Honestly, Ive owned a herd of dogs in my life. Stepped in a lot of dog poop, sometimes in my bare feet. Aside from a smelly inconvenience, it was a non event.:snr:

38 mins ago, bob_G said:

I think a lot of people bag the poop and pretend like they will pick it up on their way back but have no intention of ever picking the bag back up. They’re just slobs. I’ve always trained my dogs to go well off the trail to poo. Same with our yard, they go over to the side along the fence.