Eagles Dare

"Protected by DCR"

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

This will be interesting, I have never seen that sign before.....

What does it even mean ??

I've never seen one either. The logging outfits tags are still there too. Some of the trees have one of each on them. If I can find out what it's all about I'll post it here. They were definitely put up this year sometime. I was up there the last day of muzzleloader season and they weren't there then. 

I just learned this morning that the DCR just hired a new team of DCR Rangers.  Their only job will be to patrol all the watershed areas, and strictly enforce the new public user regs.   According to what I read in the preliminary regs, humans will not even be allowed to rinse their hands off in portions of the Ware River.  

Based on what happened to my buddy yesterday, with his son and dogs, I believe it. He wasn't even allowed to walk within 125' of the east branch of the Ware River to water his thirsty dogs.

4 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I know it sucks for bird hunters and I am sympathetic to that.

However I wish more public land would be closed to (non-hunting) dogs.

Dog walkers have made most of the woods trails in my area miserable places for anyone who wants a little solitude in a natural setting. Hell, they take up all the parking places. You can't even get in there on a nice day if you wanted to.

I look at dog walkers as the surf caster's equivalent to the white bucket brigade.

Once they take over a spot, it's of no value to anyone but them.

Why should public land be closed to dog walkers? Just because you don’t like them? The public land is for all of the public not just you.
The same with mountain biking. Many of the trails out there are built and maintained by mountain bikers. They probably do more work than any other user group. 

Dogs on leash staying on marked trails I see no problem provided the owner picks up.      

Now mountain bikers......
Mountain bikers do more work destroying wildlife habitat than others for sure. There is no reason they cannot stay on existing trails . I have watched them destroy forests that were once full of wildlife .. now just mb tracks. Where there were puddles there are now ponds and washed out trails. They have changed the forest forever by hacking down everything in there way. Then when they get bored with the trail they hack another with no regard for rules or future generations. Yea their real hero’s 

4 mins ago, z-man said:

...Many of the trails out there are built and maintained by mountain bikers. They probably do more work than any other user.

Very doubtful when sportsmen generate nearly 1 billion dollars a year in Conservation revenue. I never said mountain bikers shouldn’t be able to use the land; the other post did about dogs. I said they shouldn’t be able to ruin it. There are plenty of nature trails to ride already; why they have to cut a maze through each section is beyond me. I can tell you pretty much for a fact that the areas they take over push most of the wildlife out of until well after dark.

20 mins ago, Sportsmun said:

Dogs on leash staying on marked trails I see no problem provided the owner picks up.      

Now mountain bikers......
Mountain bikers do more work destroying wildlife habitat than others for sure. There is no reason they cannot stay on existing trails . I have watched them destroy forests that were once full of wildlife .. now just mb tracks. Where there were puddles there are now ponds and washed out trails. They have changed the forest forever by hacking down everything in there way. Then when they get bored with the trail they hack another with no regard for rules or future generations. Yea their real hero’s 

Great first post. 

24 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

Very doubtful when sportsmen generate nearly 1 billion dollars a year in Conservation revenue. I never said mountain bikers shouldn’t be able to use the land; the other post did about dogs. I said they shouldn’t be able to ruin it. There are plenty of nature trails to ride already; why they have to cut a maze through each section is beyond me. I can tell you pretty much for a fact that the areas they take over push most of the wildlife out of until well after dark.

Do they have permission from the land managers to cut new trails? If they are illegal trails then they should be closed down. I’ve seen cease and desist signs put up on illegal trails. 

3 mins ago, z-man said:

Do they have permission from the land managers to cut new trails? If they are illegal trails then they should be closed down. I’ve seen cease and desist signs put up on illegal trails. 

I honestly don’t know. If i had to guess a lot of them probably are not; because they are not marked like others. Some places it’s so many that they must get permission. 

31 mins ago, Sportsmun said:

First, the owners don't pick up. They leave their nasty blue **** bags all over the place. It's disgusting. 

Second, the problem is shear volume. The dog walkers take over a place. Fill the parking lot so nobody can get a spot. The never ending parade of people makes a walk in the woods no better than a walk on a city sidewalk. 

I look for a more tranquil, quiet experience with a chance for solitude and a reasonable hope of seeing some wildlife. That's impossible in most places in my area that have parking. 

As far as destruction of the land, nothing comes close to the damage the 4 wheelers do. They are brutal for wrecking the landscape.

Of course there's no hope of quiet or tranquility where they go.

34 mins ago, mikez2 said:

First, the owners don't pick up. They leave their nasty blue **** bags all over the place. It's disgusting. 

Second, the problem is shear volume. The dog walkers take over a place. Fill the parking lot so nobody can get a spot. The never ending parade of people makes a walk in the woods no better than a walk on a city sidewalk. 

I look for a more tranquil, quiet experience with a chance for solitude and a reasonable hope of seeing some wildlife. That's impossible in most places in my area that have parking. 

As far as destruction of the land, nothing comes close to the damage the 4 wheelers do. They are brutal for wrecking the landscape.

Of course there's no hope of quiet or tranquility where they go.

Do the dog walkers all plan ahead to steal all the parking spots from you? What about people hiking without dogs? Are they allowed? It sounds like you just want the entire place to yourself. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

I understand your frustration with bad dog owners .The place I run my dogs is the same crap...no pun intended. Some people are just  pigs. Although it doesn’t do a lot of good I find bitch,bitch, bitch to the proper authorities all you can do.

....as far as pure volume of people. The woods are for everyone to use in a responsible and legal manner so not much you can do about that except find a better /quieter place. 
  I like that families and (responsible) dog owners , hunters ,hikers, shoers , horseback riders etc all share and enjoy the woods. My worry is future generations will not be so lucky. DCR is useless I have been battling with them for 5 years and keep hearing that they are aware of the issue and not a lot they can do.....so I continue to bitch, bitch, bitch and take names hoping that someday someone will step up and do their job. I have a whole list of people who have not. 

4 hours ago, BluesCruiser said:

I was up there at Rutland a few weeks ago and noticed they close the gate now.. no more driving through??

The gates are now open.  However apparently the DCR has a park ranger stationed to enforce the new regs.  As I mentioned earlier, my buddy and his son were running their dogs there yesterday.  As they walked to the river to water the dogs, one of the new rangers was apparently watching the whole time.  He came flying down the hill to inform them neither he, his son, nor any of the dogs could go within 125' of the water.  The fact that there are easily a dozen beaver dens within a 1/4 mile didn't compute.  Apparently beavers are much cleaner than fully vaccinated, well care for bird dogs.

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

I just learned this morning that the DCR just hired a new team of DCR Rangers.  Their only job will be to patrol all the watershed areas, and strictly enforce the new public user regs.   According to what I read in the preliminary regs, humans will not even be allowed to rinse their hands off in portions of the Ware River.  

Based on what happened to my buddy yesterday, with his son and dogs, I believe it. He wasn't even allowed to walk within 125' of the east branch of the Ware River to water his thirsty dogs.

Last year, a slob that lives upriver from me on the Middle Branch of The Swift River had a massive pile of household trash behind his house, like a year's worth, right near the river.  A high water event took most of the trash downstream.  A lot of land on the other side of the river is DCR land and below my land is DRC land.    I fished out all manner of toxic material out of the river, paint, radiator coolant, brake fluid, solvents, etc, plus normal trash.  I notified the local DCR rangers, sent them about 30 pictures........you guessed it, no call back, no response, no one cared.  

3 mins ago, clambellies said:

Last year, a slob that lives upriver from me on the Middle Branch of The Swift River had a massive pile of household trash behind his house, like a year's worth, right near the river.  A high water event took most of the trash downstream.  A lot of land on the other side of the river is DCR land and below my land is DRC land.    I fished out all manner of toxic material out of the river, paint, radiator coolant, brake fluid, solvents, etc, plus normal trash.  I notified the local DCR rangers, sent them about 30 pictures........you guessed it, no call back, no response, no one cared.  

And they probably added your name to a list of troublemakers.