Eagles Dare

"Protected by DCR"

Rate this topic

93 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This area I hunt was bought up several years ago by a logging outfit. At the time Fish and Game was also involved to keep the land open. I'm sure they probably threw some "wildlands" dollars their way along with the usual tax break. A couple of years ago the logging outfit tried to lease out the land to hunters. They put up posted signs on some of the borders. I talked to a friend in the DFW and he said that wasn't allowed under the agreement (the signs not the leasing). Told me to tear em' down.  :laugh:  I said I didn't feel comfortable doing that but I'd have no problem ignoring them. Which I did, and he ended up tearing them down at a later date.

So this morning I'm up there and now the border is tagged with these. Why is our friendly DCR now involved? I thought this was DFW jurisdiction. Gonna try and get ahold of my DFW contact and see what the deal is.

20210427_100938_002.jpg

Edited by Eagles Dare
Add pic

The parent agency of DCR reviews these Conservation Restrictions on public (municipal) or privately owned properties.   The CRs DO ALLOW the prohibition of hunting.

I’m not entirely sure why the DCR logo is emblazoned with it.

I’d recommend emailing the address that’s on the sign itself.

Ok, something is going on. This can't be a coincidence. Here's what happened yesterday.

I got a phone call yesterday.  My buddy and his son were running their four Brittanies at the prison camp in Rutland.  Not another soul in sight.   After an hour, they walked the dogs down to the east branch of the Ware to get them a drink. 

Out of nowhere, a DCR ranger appeared. He said he was stationed there.  He immediately instructed them to remove the dogs. Dogs are no longer allowed in the river or watershed.   Horses, yes. Beavers, yes. Just no dogs.

The ranger went on to explain that the DCR owns all the land here, and MFW only leases a small portion of it. He also went on to say the ACOE only controls a few acres by the Barre Falls dam. All other land is owned by the DCR.

So, it appears as though the DCR has been working feverishly to ruin things for paying Ma sportsmen.  I have a feeling this is only the beginning.

13 mins ago, bob_G said:

I got a phone call yesterday.  My buddy and his son were running their four Brittanies at the prison camp in Rutland.  Not another soul in sight.   After an hour, they walked the dogs down to the east branch of the Ware to get them a drink. 

Out of nowhere, a DCR ranger appeared. He said he was stationed there.  He immediately instructed them to remove the dogs. Dogs are no longer allowed in the river or watershed.   Horses, yes. Beavers, yes. Just no dogs.

Found this online. 

"Dogs are not allowed on any Quabbin Reservoir, Wachusett Reservoir, or Sudbury Reservoir property."

"Dogs are permitted in the Ware Watershed (west of Glenwood Rd., Rutland) on DCR lands including the MCRT."  

This is crap. The land is owned by the public and passive recreation should be encouraged. 

10 mins ago, ged said:

This is crap. The land is owned by the public and passive recreation should be encouraged. 

It's beginning to appear as though any recreation is discouraged unless the DCR can somehow profit from it.

6 hours ago, Jonesy02719 said:

The parent agency of DCR reviews these Conservation Restrictions on public (municipal) or privately owned properties.   The CRs DO ALLOW the prohibition of hunting.

I’m not entirely sure why the DCR logo is emblazoned with it.

I’d recommend emailing the address that’s on the sign itself.

That doesn’t say no hunting, but it sounds like the precious signs only prevented the general public from hunting. 

Sad

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

He also went on to say the ACOE only controls a few acres by the Barre Falls dam. All other land is owned by the DCR.

It appears from this map that ACOE controls two areas.

DCR Property Regs

https://casetext.com/regulation/code-of-massachusetts-regulations/department-302-cmr-department-of-conservation-and-recreation/title-302-cmr-1200-parks-and-recreation/section-1211-rules-of-conduct-on-dcr-properties-hunting-fishing-trapping

Access Maps

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/dcr-watershed-public-access-maps#ware-river-watershed-

ware wildlife management.pdf

mass-rutland-ware-wma.png

16 hours ago, Joe G said:

Found this online. 

"Dogs are not allowed on any Quabbin Reservoir, Wachusett Reservoir, or Sudbury Reservoir property."

"Dogs are permitted in the Ware Watershed (west of Glenwood Rd., Rutland) on DCR lands including the MCRT."  

Dogs have never been allowed in the Quabbin or the other Reservoir lands.

4 mins ago, clambellies said:

Dogs have never been allowed in the Quabbin or the other Reservoir lands.

I know it sucks for bird hunters and I am sympathetic to that.

However I wish more public land would be closed to (non-hunting) dogs.

Dog walkers have made most of the woods trails in my area miserable places for anyone who wants a little solitude in a natural setting. Hell, they take up all the parking places. You can't even get in there on a nice day if you wanted to.

I look at dog walkers as the surf caster's equivalent to the white bucket brigade.

Once they take over a spot, it's of no value to anyone but them.

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I know it sucks for bird hunters and I am sympathetic to that.

However I wish more public land would be closed to (non-hunting) dogs.

Dog walkers have made most of the woods trails in my area miserable places for anyone who wants a little solitude in a natural setting. Hell, they take up all the parking places. You can't even get in there on a nice day if you wanted to.

I look at dog walkers as the surf caster's equivalent to the white bucket brigade.

Once they take over a spot, it's of no value to anyone but them.

I think mountain bikers may top them in my opinion. Seems like Since fat bikes came out the new “cool” is to mountain bike. I swear every time I walk into state land with trails; more and more trails have been blazed. The mountain bike trails are useless to everybody but them. They zig and zag so that if you pick a straight line in any direction and walk 100 yds you cross the same trail 6 times. They essentially ruin miles of wildlife habitat.