nfnDrum

All waders suck, which suck the least?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

UPDATE: I grabbed the Simms Headwaters Pro Gore-Tex® Waders becasue of sale price. I will look at the others mentioned. 

Id just wear my drysuit but its not ideal in warmer months. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I have had Simms for a few years and I have to say they are the best waders I have ever had. You'll spend more on them but just like everything else you get for what you pay for!

On 4/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, nfnDrum said:

Seems to be a given that wader companies cant seems to make a wader that wont leak. SO is Gor-tex the easiest material to fine pin hole leaks in? I dont care if i have to patch. My cheapies are just  impossible to locate leaks in. Are the Simms Gore-tex headwaters worth the sale price? Are they reinforced good enough below the knees? I am bout to buy cheap frog togs.

Yeah they do suck.  I was ready to pull the trigger on a guide quality pair but after talking to guys I fish with there was too many complaints.  I wound up buying a pair of Orvis boot foot ($300 price point) which leaked after 10 trips fishing on sand beaches.  To Orvis's credit they gave me a new pair, but my confidence is low in them. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:40 AM, MartyK said:

You're right about them all sucking, but I use LL Bean Emergers.   Bean has tightened its return policies, but they still give me a year (maybe because I'm a credit card holder) and I've never had a pair go that long, so I'm still able to exchange the leaking ones.   

I'm in the market for a backup to the Orvis mentioned above so I stopped by LL Bean.  Unfor both models have the balloon fit that seems common with most manufactures today.  LL Bean won't work for me....just too much material.  While there I did asked about warranty....I was told you pay $40 to buy the warranty and if you have an issue you pay to ship them to LL Bean and they decide if the waders have a manufacturing defect.  If there is a manufacturing defect you pay $60 for a new pair.   

Edited by Frede

3 hours ago, fishweewee said:

Simms Goretex.

Around jaggedy rockpiles I wear a wetsuit and NRS workboots.

Funny you mention work boots, Im about to buy a throw away pair o Walmart work boots and see how they holdup, maybe even a cheap pair of walmart brand converse. 

Edited by nfnDrum

On 4/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, nfnDrum said:

UPDATE: I grabbed the Simms Headwaters Pro Gore-Tex® Waders becasue of sale price. I will look at the others mentioned. 

Id just wear my drysuit but its not ideal in warmer months. 

That's a good choice. I had a pair of Simms that I used for 5+ years and they started leaking at the sock foot. Sent them back to Simms, no receipt or anything, and received a brand new pair no questions asked. Simms stands behind their product. My wife gave me a pair of the new model Simms wading pants and they leaked at the sock foot after less than a year. Sent them back with receipt and received a brand new pair. They were still under warranty though. Replacement pair is holding up just fine on 2nd year now.

On 4/27/2021 at 11:43 AM, Sngl2th said:

I do have a theory about making cheaper waders last: Get waders that are considerably larger than your size (one or two sizes). I think a lot of the strain on waders around booties (where the most irreparable leaks start) and knees comes from stretching and pulling them off. If they are nice and big you can slip in and out without damage, and they will wear less from movement.

Agree completely. Bending over, stepping over a guard rail, kneeling down and especially squatting down. It’s putting pressure on the seams. 

Im wearing LL Bean breathable a size plus bigger than I need with albeit too much room but they’re very comfortable and I simply use a belt cinched pretty tight in the built in belt loops. I use another belt outside the wading jacket with my surf bag. 

One other thing. If you fish in Nov - April (assuming colder mid Atlantic or above), grab cheap neoprene waders. I prefer stockingfoot so I can use them with the same Korkers wading boots as my breathables.

Neoprene is cheaper and flexible which means it’s typically more durable. Use them as colder weather beaters and the added benefit that they’re warmer anyway. 

Best way to find pinholes is to fill a spray bottle with alcohol and spray the inside of your waders. The alcohol will seep through any pinholes to the outside fabric. Mark those spots with masking tape and wait for the alcohol to dry before patching. I do this to both pairs of my Bean waders every spring and they are still dry after 5 years. 

Frogg Togg Hellbenders seem to be a good affordable choice. Can’t report on long term but I’ve used mine several times for 8 hours plus and luckily no rips/holes just yet. 

The Patagonia waders are better than the Simms for a whole host of reasons like their better design, functionality and durability.

Simms, over 20 yrs, great service, repairs and awesome Goretex , guide pants, jacket, all have been back for repairs, Spend a little more an own them for life. 

6 hours ago, EricDice said:

Agree completely. Bending over, stepping over a guard rail, kneeling down and especially squatting down. It’s putting pressure on the seams. 

Im wearing LL Bean breathable a size plus bigger than I need with albeit too much room but they’re very comfortable and I simply use a belt cinched pretty tight in the built in belt loops. I use another belt outside the wading jacket with my surf bag. 

I grabbed a pair that is slightly larger then i need, I'm in between a medium and large which can be a pain in the ass when it comes to Jakets. I have plenty of room for a base layer, their is way to much room in the knees to move around. I can crouch down without any tension on the wader. I don't see my seams being stressed but they are on the baggy side. Debating if i should go smaller. 

Edited by nfnDrum

5 hours ago, ReelSailor said:

Frogg Togg Hellbenders seem to be a good affordable choice. Can’t report on long term but I’ve used mine several times for 8 hours plus and luckily no rips/holes just yet. 

I have used hellbender boot foot waders for a year now. I have climbed on rocks, walked miles on the sandy surf and they have held up great. After every trip, I rinse them down with some salt away and they work great. My friend on the other hand used them for about a month and they started to leak. Frogg toggs sent him a new pair and the new pair leaked right out of the box. I guess you just have to get lucky.