Seal

Video shows cops laughing about breaking the arm of an elderly woman

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Eventually these thug cops are going to **** with the wrong persons Grandma, and one of these stories is going to end with piles of dead cops.

You police apologists understand that, right?

Colorado Cops Injured a 73-Year-Old Woman With Dementia, Then Joked About It On Video

Police officers in Loveland, Colorado, violently arrested a 73-year-old woman with dementia and allegedly dislocated her shoulder. Then they watched body camera footage of the incident and joked about it, as video released today by the woman's attorney shows.

Surveillance video from the booking area of the Loveland Police Department shows three officers reviewing the footage of the June 26, 2020, arrest of Karen Garner.

"Ready for the pop?" an officer in the video, identified by Garner's attorneys as Austin Hopp, says to the other officer as they watch the footage.

"What'd you pop?" another officer asks.

"I think it was her shoulder," Hopp responds.

Garner filed a lawsuit on April 14 alleging that Hopp fractured her arm and dislocated her shoulder after stopping her for allegedly shoplifting $13.88 worth of items from Walmart.

According to the lawsuit, Garner suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia, which makes it difficult for her to communicate and understand other people. Garner was walking home and picking wildflowers. She didn't initially respond to Hopp's commands to stop and appeared not to understand him.

"I don't think you want to play it this way," Hopp said as she continued to walk away from him. "Do you need to be arrested right now?"

Body camera footage of the incident, released with the lawsuit, shows Hopp then throwing a disoriented and confused Garner to the ground while twisting her arm behind her. "I'm going home," Garner yells.

The Loveland Police Department has placed Hopp on administrative leave and reassigned Daria Jalali, another officer named in the lawsuit, to administrative duties while it investigates the incident. 

The local district attorney also announced last week that his office is investigating the incident for possible criminal charges.

"I hate it," Jalali says as they watch the body camera footage together.

"I love it," Hopp responds.

"I can't believe I threw a 73-year-old on the ground," Hopp says elsewhere in the video.

Garner's lawsuit alleges she did not receive medical care for more than six hours after her arrest.

Loveland police chief Bob Ticer told the Loveland Reporter-Herald last week that police officials did not learn about Garner's injuries until the lawsuit was filed.

"These videos cannot be unseen or unheard. I am sorry to have to share them with the public," Sarah Schielke, Garner's attorney, said in a statement released with the booking video. "But as it often goes with bad police departments, it seems this is the only way to make them change. They have to be exposed. If I didn't release this, the Loveland Police's toxic culture of arrogance and entitlement, along with their horrific abuse of the vulnerable and powerless, would carry on, business as usual."

The Loveland Police Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

If a Seal had bones... You're a ****ing punk and wish  for your path to criss cross the likes of my type. Story be told afterward, because I'm nice and will bring you flowers in the hospital.

1 min ago, blake30615 said:

If a Seal had bones... You're a ****ing punk and wish  for your path to criss cross the likes of my type. Story be told afterward, because I'm nice and will bring you flowers in the hospital.

What? 

10 hours ago, Seal said:

Eventually these thug cops are going to **** with the wrong persons Grandma, and one of these stories is going to end with piles of dead cops.

You police apologists understand that, right?

I'll be there defending them, so bring it on tough guy. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

*Update*

Former Loveland cop sentenced to 5 years in assault of Karen Garner

A Larimer County District Judge sentenced a former Loveland Police officer to five years in prison for an assault involving an elderly woman with dementia.

Austin Hopp pleaded guilty to an assault charge in March related to the June 2020 arrest and assault of Karen Garner.

He was initially charged with three counts including assault but pleaded guilty to a single charge of second-degree assault, a class four felony, on March 2.

The standard sentence is two to eight years, but it was an open sentence, meaning the judge could have sentenced him to probation.

Following his sentence, the Loveland Police Department released a statement.

"The Loveland Police Department is grateful for the District Attorney’s diligence and pursuit of due process during this very important case," Interim Chief Eric Stewart said in the statement. "While this will not change the terrible treatment Ms. Garner experienced, we hope that this sentence can bring some measure of justice to her and her family."

An attorney released footage of Karen Garner's June 26, 2020 arrest in April of last year as part of a federal civil rights lawsuit. It alleges that Garner was forcibly pushed to the ground and that during the arrest she suffered multiple injuries. Those injuries included a dislocated shoulder, a broken humerus and a sprained wrist. 

Hopp and former officer Daria Jalali were charged in May 2021, almost a year after the arrest of Garner, who was 73 when the incident took place.

Garner was arrested while walking home along Mountain Lion Road. She had just come from a nearby Walmart where she attempted to leave without paying for about $14 worth of items, the lawsuit says. The 8th Judicial District Attorney's Office said that Garner's misdemeanor case was dismissed.

According to the arrest affidavit in the case, while Garner was in custody, Hopp told Jalali, "I thought I broke [Garner's] shoulder, did you hear it pop?"

Neither officer offered Garner medical care, despite the fact she repeatedly said her shoulder hurt, according to the affidavit.

Court records also show Jalali faces the following charges:

Peace officer: Failure to report use of force
Peace officer: Failure to intervene
Official misconduct

Hopp, Jalali and community service officer Tyler Blackett resigned after the incident came to light. Jalali is next due in court June 22.

Sgt. Phil Metzler, who also responded to the scene of Garner's arrest, remained with the department until September of last year. He resigned after video was made public that appeared to show him dismissing excessive force concerns made to him by a man who witnessed Garner's arrest.

Loveland's former police chief said the department was first made aware of the allegations of excessive force on April 14, 2020, and contacted the district attorney's office about it.

Garner's family announced a settlement of their lawsuit with the city of Loveland last September for $3 million.

Edited by Seal

Just now, Seal said:

*Update*

Garner's family announced a settlement of their lawsuit with the city of Loveland last September for $3 million.

And there is the only thing the family really cares about.

2 hours ago, Seal said:

Hope they at least paid Walmart for the chit the crazy ole bat stole. Family prob. sent her shoplifting hoping for a lottery win.