Capt.Castafly

Camp Cronin, East Wall Parking Area

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I would happily pay 20-30$, if the money went to enforcement, allowing appropriate parking, etc.... Its currently a joke, because they dont even check for current licenses and our recreational areas are being trashed and overrun with people using it for the wrong reasons.  Poachers poach without fear, litter, trash, parties, people camping in the fishing areas..... Once these folks start pissing off some more wealthy beachfront property owners we are all in trouble.

Edited by Kooky

55 mins ago, Kooky said:

I would happily pay 20-30$, if the money went to enforcement, allowing appropriate parking, etc.... Its currently a joke, because they dont even check for current licenses and our recreational areas are being trashed and overrun with people using it for the wrong reasons.  Poachers poach without fear, litter, trash, parties, people camping in the fishing areas..... Once these folks start pissing off some more wealthy beachfront property owners we are all in trouble.

My idea was primarily for nighttime fishermen parking.  The reason I made the suggestion was we have a local fishing parking permit program in Newport that has worked well and protects our parking in fishing areas that would have been long gone by now.  I’m quite surprised many other fishing clubs have not pursued the idea in shoreline communities.    

12 hours ago, UPSmanMatt said:

Is Rose Nulman even open? I haven't been down since October. I swear this state keeps REGRESSING every year. 

AFAIK it’s still closed.

I was there this morning, and there were a few guys that seemed to be checking out the area in yellow .  I couldn't tell if they were DEM or not....

Start calling. I just did. The woman at the DEM in JTN is really nice.  She said parking was limited last year because of Covid and that they had discussed eliminating some more parking this year. I told her my (our) concerns. I said this could easily be solved if one DEM officer was stationed there from time to time. I explained how it’s frustrating that we pay for a fishing license, we spend a ton of money in the area, and that for the most part we’re law abiding citizens.

She understood what I was saying, but also said rumors are circulating through  social media so it might be overblown. However, that’s not how I feel. 

Someone is supposed to call me back today. I asked to speak directly to that person, but was denied. I will follow up with an email and more calls if I don’t get a response. 

It’s time to step up and jump in front of this if there’s still time.  Call the JTN DEM. 401-789-0281.  Please be polite, but firm. This situation could’ve been resolved if there was an officer present who’s willing to enforce the laws.  Yes, they are stretched thin, but that doesn’t mean they still shouldn’t do their job. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, rbart said:

Start calling. I just did. The woman at the DEM in JTN is really nice.  She said parking was limited last year because of Covid and that they had discussed eliminating some more parking this year. I told her my (our) concerns. I said this could easily be solved if one DEM officer was stationed there from time to time. I explained how it’s frustrating that we pay for a fishing license, we spend a ton of money in the area, and that for the most part we’re law abiding citizens.

She understood what I was saying, but also said rumors are circulating through  social media so it might be overblown. That’s not how I feel. 

Someone is supposed to call me back today. I asked to speak directly to that person, but was denied. I will follow up with an email and more calls if I don’t get a response. 

It’s time to step up and jump in front of this if there’s still time.  Call the JTN DEM. 401-789-0281.  Please be polite, but firm. This situation could’ve been resolved if there was an officer present who’s willing to enforce the laws.  Yes, they are stretched thin, but that doesn’t mean they still shouldn’t do their job. 

Edited by rbart

I haven’t been there in years for fishing but I’ve have been taking mornings drives there this winter. I always remembered there was a DEM worker sitting on jetty in the summer months. What happened to that? 

The worker was like young college kids making sure people picked up after themselves. If a bigger problem would to have happened they would call EPO. Which I’ve seen them do in the past.

I approached RISSA with this situation of reduced closure, reduced parking to make them aware of it.

Since they have committees and have more clout this is what I received from Steve Mederios.

Anyway....
Your call said that you heard that DEM is going to close 75% of the parking lot at the Camp Cronin (east wall).

I immediately sent a message to John Lake at DEM last night.  He responded right away writing:
Hi Steve thanks for reaching out. that information is actually misguided. all we did is remove out the plastic barriers that were there last year for some stones to give it a more natural look likely only 10 to 20 parking spaces we're removed still over a hundred places to park down there. We have a press release going out tomorrow on the matter let me know if you have any other questions have a great day! John

When DEM met with our Legislative Committee last week to present to us the annual report on the RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License/Funds, part of the report dealt with the newly refurbished Camp Cronin area, and how it drew much public attention and was filled all the time (due to covid) last year.  They were forced to hire to temporary park rangers just to put there, and they are going to put two more there this summer as well.

1 hour ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Cronin_parking (Medium).jpg

The third rock down looks like it’s small enough to drive over if you have a jeep or tall truck. 

40 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

DEM would get a hard on driving by the new development they are putting in at the old Oatley's in Exeter.

That development project is HUGE