Capt.Castafly

Camp Cronin, East Wall Parking Area

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

This locations is being discussed on another shore access board.

They claim DEM is going to close most of the parking area that is highlighted in yellow.

It was open completely  last year. What a loss if it happens.

What's the reason?  It really makes no sense if we are a tourist state and want the revenue and new business coming to the state.

It's also p... off our residences, big time.

FB_IMG_1619471443195.jpg

What is supposed to be a fishing access became one of the most popular free beaches in the state last summer. Unfortunately, the people using the beach left an enormous amount of trash behind on a daily basis. Some of the fishermen on the East Wall weren’t any tidier. I bet if people hadn’t been slobs, then limited parking wouldn’t be an issue now.

2 mins ago, UPSmanMatt said:

Is Rose Nulman even open? I haven't been down since October. I swear this state keeps REGRESSING every year. 

Nope, but I don’t think the state was instrumental in the closing of the Rose Nulman Park, but rather a Nulman family member had liability concerns. A virtual cliff to the rocks below the parking lot was the concern, I think. A tough loss, given the beauty and popularity of the spot.

The state, on the other hand, is solely responsible for placing boulders in the small parking area that provided access to Stinky Beach.

48 mins ago, dickd said:

What is supposed to be a fishing access became one of the most popular free beaches in the state last summer. Unfortunately, the people using the beach left an enormous amount of trash behind on a daily basis. Some of the fishermen on the East Wall weren’t any tidier. I bet if people hadn’t been slobs, then limited parking wouldn’t be an issue now.

If it’s supposed to be for fishing access only then anyone who doesn’t have a fishing pole should be fined heavily for parking there. A little bit of enforcement occasionally would solve the problem and also raise done money. Instead the lazy state will just close off the parking so they don’t have to deal with it. 

7 hours ago, dickd said:

Absolutely Dick! Such a shame to see the unbelievable trash left by the overwhelming number of city goers who figured out about that beautiful quiet little paradise...55 gal garbage bags left full and spilling over left near pot-o-potty's, to trash buried in the sand / sand dunes.... And then people wonder why they lose privilege's to such places.

36 mins ago, Kooky said:

People suck but the lack of enforcement seems behind many issues. 

Right! I wonder when the last littering fine was imposed in RI.

Years ago when the salt water fishing license was first being discussed I was on a citizen’s advisory panel for recommendations.  I made a suggestion then that the license cost be something along the lines of $20-30 but that the state give license holders something more than the right to fish.  My suggestion was that a fishing license allow the holder parking access to all state management area that access fishing opportunities.  When you purchased a license you also received a state parking permit to display on your vehicle dashboard.  Committee shot it down because they didn’t like paying that much for a license.  

I'm surprised the state hasn't charged yet for that area. Scumbags leaving garbage, is the problem everywhere! The only way is either close it or get full time enforcement!