Looking for creative ways to carry lots of gear when walking

Rate this topic

Thumb-Burner

My solution involves equipment I have from a previous life. 

It serves nicely for lugging my "kitchen sink" load down the beach as many miles as I'm willing to go.

This is a military pack by one of the high end packmakers who started serving that market after 911.

With PAL webbing and lots of straps and attachment points you can configure it a lot of different ways.

Given that the current series of conflicts have lasted 20 years I suspect you could find a lot of options like this on popular auction sites.

Fishpack2.jpg.6b4200f2c19f208f163a8793214e98eb.jpg

Fishpack1.jpg.01d045f8dddab65a62530dbd17a59cf2.jpg

I have a tactical backpack which can hold a rod on each side while walking. In the backpack, plano boxes w sinkers, hooks, extra rigs pre tied, fishing towel, scissors, fish bites, whatever you can get in there.

Through my sand spikes, I've drilled holes through them, so that I can loop a rope that goes through all of them. I use this as a shoulder sling or goes around my neck.

I wear a belt that holds my plug bag and has D rings and carabiners. This holds my fish grip, pliers, knife.

I have a sizeable cooler with 2 icepacks and a small bucket (if im primarily using bait, i often fill this with water during my walk, so that I dont have to constantly walk to the water to rinse my hands cutting bunker, crab, etc, what a time saver honestly) and aerator (in case i catch/use live bait). The bucket can hold my bait until I use it. I also keep my lunch in here (outside the bucket of course. One hand occupied now. 

Other hand is my plugging rod as I walk.

Let me know if this helps.

Edited by cow_goes_meow

When I need to carry 2x 13ft rods with a bucket and all my gear. I have a backpack, a waist bag and a cooler lunch bag for the bait.  I use a rod pole carry shoulder belt which I replaced the neoprene rod ties with gym ankle velcro belts. The rod sling helps me free my hands for the bucket.  You can tell I carry a lot of gear when casting 8oz lead. I can't walk far though.

9 hours ago, mike07gsxr said:

Once you get out of that googan stage you won't need to carry all that gear. I feel your pain. We were all once there.

wow. that stings a bit for someone who's been surf fishing for 43 years..  truth is I guess I am a googan to a degree. I live about 4 hours from the coast and don't get there at that often. also, and maybe this is just an excuse but as I mentioned in some earlier post it's not a"just curious small plug bag game here in the carolinas".  much greater variety of species on a normal trip and without bottom fishing some, you would expect to go long periods of time and I mean days not hours or minutes without catching anything. 

all that said, I definitely carry too much stuff

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

Ok here’s my out of the box idea. And I’ve made them and used it and can attest it works great. 

Beach sled. Get a cheap plastic kids winter sled. They are about 3-4 foot long and 16-18” wide.  Drill some holes in the side and attach crisscross bungie cords to hold down gear. Add a longer pull cord that you can run over one shoulder, cross body and down to your waste. Add a strip of pool noodle to the pull cord for padding. You can load this thing up and just pull it on the sand like you would the snow. Even in the parking lot to get to the beach. Almost effortless to walk with. Vacationed in CC for years with young kids. We’d go to the beach fully loaded! And take beach sled loaded every day. Sun shelter, cooler, chairs, fishing gear, towels, sand toys in a larger tote bag. etc, etc. I bet it was loaded with 35 lbs easy. We’d probably walk a mile down the beach.  I can’t tell you how many people stopped me and asked me where they could buy one! Hardest part is finding the sled. Hope this helps. 

I've been using PetaA's idea. Toboggan style plastic sled that grand kids used to use has been sitting in shed for many years doing nothing. A couple of bungee cords to hold things in place. Slides over hardtop and sand.

Although my new Taco 4WD arrives this week, I will probably throw the sled in the back just in case knowing how crowded DE drive on can be.

Edited by Frank2104
Clarification

If I had to carry that much gear, I probably wouldn’t fish or I would have a 4x4 permit and truck that crap around.lol. I’m down to a two tube plug bag, 10 lures, some fluoro leader, lippa grip, pliers, de-hook tool. I used to carry a huge backpack and way too much gear back when I started. I also fished bait a lot.

If willing to spend $$$, an electric fat bike with rode holders and side saddle bags would be a great way to carry gear, but obviously wouldn’t be walking 

No Bait. No Barbs. No Buckets.

Decades ago when I fished a lot, all I carried was a rod and a single bucktail. LOL. My wife likes to go to the beach with me and likes to take a cooler and chair etc. I like the sled idea but after looking at these posts, I think I will be making a 2 wheel cart. Crap, another project.  :)