Thumb-Burner

Looking for creative ways to carry lots of gear when walking

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

The two cheapest alternatives:

1) Have a buddy do it. 

2) Hire a 14 year old. 

there are only a few buddies good enough to help you carry your stuff (while you are tripping over rocks and falling down in the river)

5 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

Bike 

Fat Tire Fishing Dolly. By the way all are not created equal. With the right Dolly You can carry various rods, and multiple rectangular milk crates. Custom Cut some industrial 3x4 downspout into the crates and you have amazing plug bags that can be rinsed no problemo.

You can also carry rain gear, bug repellent, lunch, coolers whatever you want. And you don't break your back and you can cover a lot of ground.

The other option is put everything on your surf belt. Bazooka tubes, pliers, boga grips..etc. Depending on how far you are going, You may want to also lug along an oversized plug bag or a backpack or even both.

Bikes are very hard to pedal in the sand. You can buy the coolest fat tire bike you can find but powering it is the issue. Electric bikes really aren't designed for daily exposure to the elements especially on a beach.

However the dolly, with only two fat tires, even though it's a lot slower is pretty effortless & the customization options are endless.

In fact, fishing dollies, which obviously haven't hit New England yet, our terrific for the whole surf buggy and beach truck crowd.

Hang a dolly off the side of a truck and you're in business. Pull up to your spot, grab your rod and take a few casts. If you decide you want to stay in the spot, go back to the truck grab the dolly and you're in business.

Stuck in some parking lot where you have to go down the road up over the sand dune on to the beach and then walk several miles?

A dolly is very doable and you can pull it, fish, rest, drink, sit, eat, cast..etc. easy peasy

3 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I have my girlfriend carry everything that I'm going to use while fishing... 

I wanted to give you a thumbs up for this ingenuity but then I got to thinking. Is she an Eastern block ex Olympian?

Rather than give you a thumbs down I had to just simply ask the question?

23 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

The two cheapest alternatives:

1) Have a buddy do it. 

2) Hire a 14 year old. 

Or, perhaps a Crony? In fact, several. But then, you'd have to become a guru.

2 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

There was a fisherman on here who went by "junksman" I believe. He was good and got a 50 off the beach. Anyway he I think was a sanitation worker a found a set of rolleze tires in someone trash. He attached them to a golf bag cart with a WHITE bucket at the base. He attached two pcv pipes on an angle to hold the rods away from his head while traveling. He also made a bracket for his rod spikes it was really efficient. I hope he is well.

I heard he was fishing a Yozuri one night though and somebody cut his line?

51 mins ago, Killian said:

Comes in handy when in the surf to spike the rod in the holder giving both hands free to catch and release fish, retying leaders, etc.

This particular holder you can wrap around waist or thigh or angle.

4 mins ago, RedSoxTicket said:

Comes in handy when in the surf to spike the rod in the holder giving both hands free to catch and release fish, retying leaders, etc.

This particular holder you can wrap around waist or thigh or angle.

Sand Spikes??? That's like sitting down when they're singing the national anthem! Don't fish near Trick Shot Burt with a sand spike man! 

Is talk of sand spikes even permitted on this website? Long walks with allot of gear I'm grabbing a back pack.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What about a Alice pack ( Med or Lg ) with frame.... customize it up with pvc rod holders on the sides, strap the sand spikes to the top/bottom like a 8itch mat, etc. Drag the cooler in a jet sled.

Edited by Jdiesel

3 hours ago, GrahamN said:

Instead of a backpack, I would opt for a pack basket 

I use one for trapping and it's easy to carry a bunch of stuff 

They hold up much better to water, mud, branches etc than backpacks 

Easier to clean out 

Doesn't hold stink nearly as much as a backpack 

This is great idea also.

6 mins ago, CaryGreene said:

Sand Spikes??? That's like sitting down when they're singing the national anthem! Don't fish near Trick Shot Burt with a sand spike man! 

Sand spikes, no.

Just to be clear I was referring to inserting (spiking) the rod into the pvc tube that is riveted to the canvas belt rod holder that is attached to the waist.