Thumb-Burner

Looking for creative ways to carry lots of gear when walking

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

Here's the deal.  no 4wd for me at this point.  I like to have lots of gear with me and i'm walking to get to spots now.  Looking for some creative ideas (THAT YOU'VE ACTUALLY USED!!!) for making carrying stuff easier.  things like, bucket vs/cooler, how to carry sand spikes, all that jazz.

Not investing in a beach cart yet so please don't suggest that.  Also, taking less stuff is obvious.  I know some of you guys walk a long way to good spots.  Also, i'm going to be both bait fishing and plugging, so slinging a plug bag over my shoulder and one rod and heading out ain't what i'm talking about.

Ready.... GO!

I used a “fishing” backpack with two piece rods a lot last year. You can throw your rods and a ton of stuff on your back to free your hands up for anything else. 

Get a decent sized (30+ Liter) hiking pack. (Osprey, Kelty, REI won't break the bank, can be used elsewhere, good warranties. Osprey also includes raincovers for a lot of their packs, very handy.)

Good quality, internal/external frame doesn't much matter. Sand poles are stored inverted, inside the pack, along the widest inner walls. Rods are carried, but keep those minimal. 2 is solid.

Small box or even a heavy-duty ziploc for your chunking supplies, extra leader/rig material, another box/surfpouch for your plugs/jigs, either a stringer + trashbag for fish, or a freezer bag (not recommended but idk how burly you are, or how your terrain is).

Nalgene of course, small bucket isn't necessary if you can catch bait on-site, but it is nice for trash/fish/random objects.

Tips wise: removing reels from rods is great for dealing with brush - the line/reels make it so much harder to navigate.

Kneepads for jetties, shears instead of knives, raingear always.

If ya want more advice from someone with chops/videos - look up "Gido's land based fishing" on YT. The man defines extreme aussie fishing.

First off carrying lots of gear on a long walk don't sound like fun, bike w/basket sounds like a good idea. Having a deadstick and plugging at the same time ain't a good idea either, your neck will be in a world of pain having to look at your baitstick every 2 seconds while you working a popper or any other lure for that matter. Not sure if you keep fish for the table but if you do just imagine carrying all your gear plus a 15lb. fish on that long walk back to your vehicle. Good luck with whatever you choose 

There were many folks years ago that took the death march at Sandy Hook, only about 1.5 miles but through hilly dunes of sugar sand, it sucked. Most wore our waders, some carried them in backpack style, rod, plug bag, waders, pliers, water, head light, cheese peanut butter crackers. Set. Thats as light as you could go.

Honestly, it sounds like you need a cart with the Roll Eez or Wheeel Eez balloon wheels, problem with them is where do you keep it, its a monster, doubtful it would fit in most SUV's. Without the wheels its a hump, even with but at least you can carry a load.

By hand and foot only, used to hang two sand spikes with holes (1/4") drilled an inch from the top with a bungee, right around the neck, they hang well and don't interfere too much. Some try and slide the spikes up on the rod butt, makes carrying them a chore, I liked the bungee from the neck with the bungee in the hole, wear it like a vest.  Next is a cooler, playmate size, but with a square top so you can sit if you'd like 18" x 12" or so, holds bait, a few lures, rigs, knife, cutting board, mallet. You wear the waders, pliers, water bottle, knife, headlight and in one hand two rods in the other the cooler and the spikes hang from your neck. Keep the walk under 200 yards and its manageable, after that its work. 

I must say, I never enjoyed it. Not sure I can ever bait fish (deadstick) regularly, might give it a try this year, sand bugs are my choice, pick them up right at my feet. I'll hold the rod, count ten minutes and bring it in to find nothing. Or skate blitzes can ruin your day, useless creatures. 

I used to like to fish live eels, pita to manage, slimy nasty critters, and bluefish always chop you off.

Instead, I'd rather crawl a 5" Smoky Joe Red Fin up and down the beach, if they are there, they'll more than likely hit. Sometimes I outsmart them and put a black one on. Stupid fish.