bob_G

RI squid run

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

I'm contemplating a RI squid run. Need to get my mind off things. Was thinking a late night run to some place I've never been, doing something I've never done might help.

Am I dreaming?  I've heard RI squidding is an epic kerfuffle. Is it worth a try?

24 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm contemplating a RI squid run. Need to get my mind off things. Was thinking a late night run to some place I've never been, doing something I've never done might help.

Am I dreaming?  I've heard RI squidding is an epic kerfuffle. Is it worth a try?

Bob I'm sorry I can't answer that question directly. I have no experience with squidding.

However I will say a visit to Rhody at this time of year has long been one of my favorite things to do. 

The fresh run schoolies should be filling in during the next week, especially if we get a good warming trend with a bit of a S - SW, which I think may be on tap for late week.

Probably not a whole lot different from what you can get on the Cape but at least a change of scenery. 

39 mins ago, bob_G said:

They are around. Fun if you find them around. 

This is the time that Newport becomes alive with squid and in the past some very good catches to boot.Peace and Prayers

When I was a kid, squid were crazy easy to get.   But now access, parking and crowds have become game changers.  I've had a few friends tell me when the squid are around, the crowds are epic.  I guess I was just looking for some insider info.

The crowds do get wild. That being said squid don’t take screaming runs so even if you have guys 6 ft from you it doesn’t stop you from having a good time. The generator zones out the chatter going on around you and if you have a couple friends with you; you can create a decent buffer. 

9 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

there's literally no reason to squid with the masses find a dock with good  lights and youre fine. 

Words of wisdom here for sure . Many docks are available at night , you just need to do a little research ahead of time /,. Peace and Prayers

Canal light up with squid to, East side of canal it does not get crowded as Newport. Park and fish right there. You have to wait till Mid late May for canal. 

The goat island bridge in Newport is. Notorious for the crowds and associated mayhem . But there are lots of other docks & piers that will produce.

I love squishing as does my wife. It seems every year is different in terms of where the best bites are. In my experience, southern ri is no better than some south cape spots or even some north shore spots .

if you’re up for it, join the crowds and keep an eye out for what the high hook is doing/using. Or scout out google maps and try to find a quiet spot. Or stay on the cape 

Just now, JimKu said:

I know people squid at night but between what times is it worth a shot? As soon as it gets dark or deep into the night?

Different base on area, tide, lights etc