coastalfreak

Conservation Rant: I want to know your opinions.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I recently posted this on Facebook and have been getting backlash along with some support: 

Thoughts? 

“It’s time for a good rant about conservation to hit my feed. 

Yesterday I was at Grand Isle fishing from the Caminada Pass Pier. The water was pretty muddy and all folks were really catching were hardheads and Gafftops. I proceeded to watch a couple fishing from the pier kill every Hardhead and Gafftop they caught by either slamming them on the pier (the most ethical way to do it) or letting them suffocate in the sun. Then, they proceeded to either throw the carcasses in the water, in the trash can, or just leave them on the pier for everyone else to see and smell. 

I have zero problem keeping fish or shooting animals for meat. Absolutely none, as long as you are practicing ethical killing and regulations I do not care. I am aware that catching endless amounts of saltwater catfish is annoying. But from both a moral and conservation-based perspective, it is completely wrong to kill them because they are annoying and you can’t catch anything but them. 

This brings up the topic of invasive species. But the two species of saltwater catfish here on the Gulf Coast are completely native to the region and have been here for a LONG time. They belong here. 

There is no valid excuse for killing saltwater catfish and wasting them out of frustration and irritation. I was horrified by what I saw and I hope others will be too.”

Edited by coastalfreak

Some states have laws against wanton destruction of wildlife.  New Jersey is one of them.  Should have dropped a dime in them to the state fish & game people.  Direct confrontations can get nasty.

Reminds me of the pricks who kill and release dogfish on party boats because they’re “eating all their fish”. If they’re native species, it is a POS move to kill a fish just because they annoy you. Makes all fisherman look bad when people pull that crap.

If deemed a keeper, it’s in my belly that night. If the fish falls short ...thats a Delma of sorts ..... could they be chunk bait or not. if not then be free and grow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I see people crabbing all the time and keeping the blue claw but stomping on the spider crabs.  It irritates that crap out of me.  I feel like if you are keeping the fish to eat then go for it but I don't like killing just to kill.

I remember a time when I was fishing with my dad, back in the late 70's I think.  We rented a boat our of Point Lookout Long Island.  We were fishing for flounder (there were actually flounder back then) but were catching Bergals and Sea Robbins.  I remember dad saying that Sea Robbins were trash fish and were just stealing our bait.  So in my infinite wisdom the next one I caught I killed by smashing it's skull and tossed it back into the water.

Dad got pissed.  Really pissed.  He said to me that, that fish had one life and I just took if for no good reason.  Yeah it ate our bait and was annoying but it was a life.  We only take fish to consume.  

I felt like crap and never did that again.

Edited by Birdsnester

10 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Some states have laws against wanton destruction of wildlife.  New Jersey is one of them.  Should have dropped a dime in them to the state fish & game people.  Direct confrontations can get nasty.

This - you way too many whack jobs in the world today. Not worth  getting assaulted (or worse) over a fish.

if a native species, let em live. Something else will eat them. If invasive, like lion fish, either harvest them for the table or end their lives humanely. That's my thought. 

I kinda like thinking of new, fun and interesting things to do with the fish I catch. Just filleting and eating them can get boring. And spending all that time and money trying to catch them seems like a waste if you're just going to throw them back. But you have to make it fun for the fish, too...........................

tenor.gif.5541ecd0924f46fe9c7381ea3d71f060.gif

I walked up on a jetty one time, bucket brigade is out in force. Take a cast as I’m reeling in look down. Sea robin heads floating all over the place. They chopped off their heads so they wouldn’t eat their bait. 
Had to be at least 30 floating heads.

4 hours ago, Birdsnester said:

I see people crabbing all the time and keeping the blue claw but stomping on the spider crabs.  It irritates that crap out of me.  I feel like if you are keeping the fish to eat then go for it but I don't like killing just to kill.

I remember a time when I was fishing with my dad, back in the late 70's I think.  We rented a boat our of Point Lookout Long Island.  We were fishing for flounder (there were actually flounder back then) but were catching Bergals and Sea Robbins.  I remember dad saying that Sea Robbins were trash fish and were just stealing our bait.  So in my infinite wisdom the next one I caught I killed by smashing it's skull and tossed it back into the water.

Dad got pissed.  Really pissed.  He said to me that, that fish had one life and I just took if for no good reason.  Yeah it ate our bait and was annoying but it was a life.  We only take fish to consume.  

I felt like crap and never did that again.

Great lesson from dad. Sea robin are also plenty tasty lol. 

That's been going on for a very long time.

I fished in Florida for the first time in 1962, and still remember how that catwalk on the South Bridge in Ft. Pierce, Florida was lined with dead catfish from the daytime crowd and cutlassfish (ribbonfish) from the guys chasing snook at night.  

Happens everywhere else, too.  As people mentioned, up here, dogfish, bergalls, and sea robins are subject to the same sort of treatment.  Still remember people on the cod boats out of Rhode Island stomping on ocean pout when I was a kid.