Blackhole striped bass special rod

Rate this topic

lpgots

Anyone have any experience with these rods? I have been looking at them and considering getting one of the new moderate versions. Cannot find too much recent info on the rods, so was hoping I could come across it here.

(*member formerly known as 'MrLukester')

I have both the original faster action 10’ version and the new 9’6” moderate-fast version. I have zero time in with the 9’6” (trying to recuperate from my elbow tendinitis).  That rod is brand new so there’s not going to be many people with any experience with the rod. Don’t know if I will be able to answer your questions but feel free to ask 

1 hour ago, HKJonathan said:

I have both the original faster action 10’ version and the new 9’6” moderate-fast version. I have zero time in with the 9’6” (trying to recuperate from my elbow tendinitis).  That rod is brand new so there’s not going to be many people with any experience with the rod. Don’t know if I will be able to answer your questions but feel free to ask 

What made you get the newer version? Were you looking for some other uses out of the moderate rod over the fast or just wanted to try it out?

1 hour ago, ksong said:

Where do you live ?  We might have Demo Day in Cape Cod Canal.

I suggest to check the rods at Demo Day and decide to buy or not.

I go to school in NJ. So little bit of a commute.

16 hours ago, MrLukester said:

What made you get the newer version? Were you looking for some other uses out of the moderate rod over the fast or just wanted to try it out?

My elbow tendonitis makes casting a longer rod very painful.  I’ve been doing rehab for it over the winter but as a general rule, shorter is better for me right now.  I was very curious of the more moderate version of this rod so I pulled the trigger.  I own four other Blackhole surf rods and liked them so I was quite confident that I would like this rod as well.  It doesn’t hurt that at $335 with free shipping for the 9’6”, the rod is much less expensive than some other high end rods.

14 hours ago, ksong said:

Where do you live ?  We might have Demo Day in Cape Cod Canal.

I suggest to check the rods at Demo Day and decide to buy or not.

How about a demo day right out of the the shop or somewhere locally for all us NY and Jersey guys?

Hoping the moderate is actually more parabolic and not just a softer tip.

2 hours ago, Bait Tailer said:

How about a demo day right out of the the shop or somewhere locally for all us NY and Jersey guys?

I'd almost be willing to bet it's just softer overall. When black hole says "moderate" they mean less stiff and "fast" they mean more stiff. It has zero bearing on the action whatsoever. 

Edited by RedGreen

7 hours ago, HKJonathan said:

My elbow tendonitis makes casting a longer rod very painful.  I’ve been doing rehab for it over the winter but as a general rule, shorter is better for me right now.  I was very curious of the more moderate version of this rod so I pulled the trigger.  I own four other Blackhole surf rods and liked them so I was quite confident that I would like this rod as well.  It doesn’t hurt that at $335 with free shipping for the 9’6”, the rod is much less expensive than some other high end rods.

Hey HK - I’ve been dealing with the same thing for a few years. Couple things I learned:

1 - don’t fall for the cortisone shot. It only masks the pain and it comes back

2 - Get a brace and always wear it when fishing

3 - I have found that I can manage it if only fishing but a full day of yard work will set me back weeks (shoveling, digging, leaf blowing.) 

Feel free to PM me if you want. 

Back to Blackhole....

This ground is not the rock I thought it to be.....

On 4/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bait Tailer said:

Yes, it is more parabolic and not just a softer tip.

Edited by ksong

I had the 11' 1-6oz. It bent more evenly than that. Took more pressure though. 

This "moderate fast" version has a lighter tip but not butt section than the original it seems. So it's faster-actioned but a softer rod overall. 

You did the same thing with the east coast special. The 11' 3/4-4oz ECS actually had more backbone in the butt section than the 11' 1-6oz SBS, but had a much lighter tip section. Yet the ECS was labeled moderate while the SBS is labeled fast. I proved this was wrong in a thread last year, results which other rod builders agreed with. 

For black hole USA, action means tip section stiffness. That is all. It has zero bearing on how the rod actually bends overall. 

Nice that the video makes it very clear what the reality is. 

Edited by RedGreen

I agree on the ECS SBS comparison.  Haven’t seen or had my hands on the other SBS, but this looks like a solid mod-fast to me.  Big variation amongst brands and lineups. Only way to get rid of semantics would be a CCS or simple pound test curve for all the blanks.  It’s all relative until you put numbers on it. Glad to see NFC started to do this and wish others would to.