ACFishing

SUP fishing

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Recently purchased a inflatable 11 foot Stand Up Paddle Board and plan to do just about everything with it. However, how much weight can these things actually take? I remember hearing it was somewhere around 300 but between me and another person can it handle a load of crabs and clams as well?

Edited by ACFishing

The weight capacities vary widely by model, look up your model’s capacity online. There are certainly some that can handle two people and some shellfish, but most won’t.

I have a 12’ aqua marina with a weight limit of 310lb. I believe it could hold more but not sure how functional/maneuverable it would be. 

Are you crazy?  Loading it down to the weight limit will make paddling much more difficult, you will be slow and you will have much less stability.

Two people is probably doable but it won’t be fun. I’d recommend against. Add a bunch of gear, no thanks. I just spent 6 hrs on a 12’ long 3’ wide inflatable board with a bunch of gear. Fly rod, spinning rod, gear bag, etc. Great day but when the wind kicks up, it can become a pain in the but. Buddy rented and got stuck with a smaller non inflatable, he hated life. Fell in a bunch, constant battle.

5 hours ago, oc1 said:

Are you crazy?  Loading it down to the weight limit will make paddling much more difficult, you will be slow and you will have much less stability.

I don't expect to go far, just want something to transport a load of shellfish about 500 feet from the clamming area back to the launch.

4 hours ago, BNickW said:

Two people is probably doable but it won’t be fun. I’d recommend against. Add a bunch of gear, no thanks. I just spent 6 hrs on a 12’ long 3’ wide inflatable board with a bunch of gear. Fly rod, spinning rod, gear bag, etc. Great day but when the wind kicks up, it can become a pain in the but. Buddy rented and got stuck with a smaller non inflatable, he hated life. Fell in a bunch, constant battle.

I only plan to fish with the board by myself with minimal equipment, I just want to know if I could make a trek back and forth with a load without it possibly sinking. I don't mind if it's slow but rather capable of holding such weight over a small distance.

I’ve never been paddle boarding as I

I have a few kayaks. Walmart had some paddle boards I was looking at the other day tho. Clamming would be an interesting idea I think. Easy to jump on off and back into the water probably? As others said watch your weight, check the manufactures specs on weight. If I bought one I’d probably bring my dog along, not another person.

1 min ago, MattieG said:

I’ve never been paddle boarding as I

I have a few kayaks. Walmart had some paddle boards I was looking at the other day tho. Clamming would be an interesting idea I think. Easy to jump on off and back into the water probably? As others said watch your weight, check the manufactures specs on weight. If I bought one I’d probably bring my dog along, not another person.

Exact reason I bought, Im gonna be getting wet regardless and it's easy in and out access to a platform. I know it can handle two people fairly good but Im still not sure how big of a problem it might be to hold more than that 

9 hours ago, ACFishing said:

I only plan to fish with the board by myself with minimal equipment, I just want to know if I could make a trek back and forth with a load without it possibly sinking. I don't mind if it's slow but rather capable of holding such weight over a small distance.

Ok, that should work. It’s a great way to fish. I strongly suggest a collapsable anchor, it can get real frustrating spotting fish only to have the wind whip you away from casting distance. My breaking point was spotting a daisy chain of 30 tarpon as the wind and current quickly removed me from the equation. Bought a anchor that afternoon.

I think if the weight is all spread out on the board you should be okay. If you put all the weight in one spot or if your body weight were over the limit then it might affect the shape of the board and it will be harder to paddle. 

Most boards will have a weight capacity listed for each model. I have a hard board and an iSUP that I fish from. The hard board has a 315 lb. weight capacity and the iSUP capacity is 450 lb. For portability you can't beat an inflatable but the hard board is faster and less affected by wind. The iSUP weighs 27 lb. while the hard board weighs 45. I did a short paddle with my wife sitting on the front of the iSUP and while it was doable, it wasn't fun. Might have been better if she was paddling too...

I generally use the iSUP for hard to launch areas or when I won't be doing a ton of paddling in the wind. Inflatables are also more durable so I use it in rocky areas. Mine has carbon rails that are supposed to increase protection from rock and paddle strikes. If you get a hard board, get one meant for heavier loads and install rail tape for added protection. They tend to get nicked up pretty easily.

The hard board I have is easier to rig out of the box but you can add attachment points to the iSUP quite easily with PVC glue.

Anyway, I switched from a yak to a paddleboard for ease of use and it's paid off. I use it a lot more than I used my yak's. And you are correct, if you fall off, it's very easy to get back on. Not so with a kayak. 

I also recommend a foldable anchor and a drift chute. Here's a couple pics of how I rigged my Bote HD. I don't have any pics of my Blackfin ModelX iSUP...

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_1367.JPEG

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

3 hours ago, BNickW said:

Ok, that should work. It’s a great way to fish. I strongly suggest a collapsable anchor, it can get real frustrating spotting fish only to have the wind whip you away from casting distance. My breaking point was spotting a daisy chain of 30 tarpon as the wind and current quickly removed me from the equation. Bought a anchor that afternoon.

I hope it doesn't become too big of a deal, Currently gonna bring it out to a lake later today and adjust to it, With a life jacket ofc