Pearl Bomber

Tidal Flow- Along NH Coast

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Can someone please help me understand...along the coast what direction does the incoming and outgoing tide pull water? Outgoing left to right? Assume regular rocky shoreline facing east.

I admit I haven’t scouted long enough to get the answer myself.

2 mins ago, StriperSurg said:

Too many variables, as each location that you may fish will/may be different.

I understand each spot is specific. I was just wondering if tides play a role in coastal currents along a beachfront and if there is a typical north/ south flow correlation between high and low tide. 
not taking wind and storm surge into account.

In "general" the current on the west side of the GOM runs from NE to SW, powered by the Labrador Current entering the Gulf of Maine.  That being said, as you get closer to the shore, there are many variables that impact that, but that predominate current is pretty strong.  For example, while extensively surveying the GOM for juvenile lobsters, Maine DMR found a high concentration of them on the North side of Damariscove Island, but virtually NONE on the south side, due to the current.

6087280656596_GOMCurrent.jpg.f4b641fe0b662b258e3ad5be4af921ce.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 4:52 PM, Roccus7 said:

In "general" the current on the west side of the GOM runs from NE to SW, powered by the Labrador Current entering the Gulf of Maine.  That being said, as you get closer to the shore, there are many variables that impact that, but that predominate current is pretty strong.  For example, while extensively surveying the GOM for juvenile lobsters, Maine DMR found a high concentration of them on the North side of Damariscove Island, but virtually NONE on the south side, due to the current.

6087280656596_GOMCurrent.jpg.f4b641fe0b662b258e3ad5be4af921ce.jpg

That's really cool. Never would have guessed. Thanks.

This is a great question and one I've had myself.   I never would have thought that there was a dominant direction- but an OTW episode from a couple of years ago Chris Megan was discussing the same thing.   

So what I'm interpreting- wind/structure/inlets/outlets aside- is that current generally runs from north to south when only looking at the impacts of tide.  do I have that right?

Now what about the mouth of some major outlets in southern Maine- for example the  York River- or Piscataqua.  What could be expected for Tide there?  Outgoing- would a good assumption be that the current would be stronger on the south side of the mouth and incoming stronger current on the North?  

Edited by MB19565

6 hours ago, MB19565 said:

This is a great question and one I've had myself.   I never would have thought that there was a dominant direction- but an OTW episode from a couple of years ago Chris Megan was discussing the same thing.   

So what I'm interpreting- wind/structure/inlets/outlets aside- is that current generally runs from north to south when only looking at the impacts of tide.  do I have that right?

Now what about the mouth of some major outlets in southern Maine- for example the  York River- or Piscataqua.  What could be expected for Tide there?  Outgoing- would a good assumption be that the current would be stronger on the south side of the mouth and incoming stronger current on the North?  

This is exactly what I was thinking too. I’ve been scouting a few spots that are a nice drain of an hourglass and I was wondering if I fish them on the outgoing, would the drain swing my plug from left to right, aka north to south. It sounds like, aside from heavy wind and wave activity, this is the case.

Pearl Bomber, 

I think when looking at the river or bay on an out going tide and the swing of your plug the current direction is going to be determined more by the structure or topography of the bottom than anything else. The out flow will follow the path of least resistance.  When fishing the beach or rocks along the coast the current map above would help in predicting bait movement and possible places to fish.

50 mins ago, HeyNine-ah said:

Get outside and let your eyes tell you ;)  

I admit I need to scout the spot more. In a month or so I hope to scout with rod in hand, and hopefully have some success. All this info is very helpful.