Jefffahfffah

Transporting rods in truck with short bed/box

39 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Jefffahfffah said:

No, i know the difference between a crew cab and a double cab. I got a crew cab, but i have rods that even when broken down have pieces that are 7'6" so I'm just trying to figure out the logistics and where the broken down rods will fit. If they'll fit in the cab diagonally, that could work pretty well

Youll be perfectly fine with 7'6 pieces in the crew cab how i mentioned. I fit 8s no problem in my silverado 

I was happy to leave the truck life for SUV's. Found my gear was finally secure. Besides every snowbird thought the beds of my trucks were their own personal garbage can.

On 4/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, z-man said:

and have to move everything into the cab. 

Kind of why i like the crew cab with short bed the best.  It's like having an SUV and pickup- you get inside storage and outside separation.  Having an SUV is not the answer for me because i'm not fitting a 10 footer let alone my 11 inside one.  My equipment is riding outside either way.  You can make it harder for someone to steal your equipment, but that's about it. 

19 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

Kind of why i like the crew cab with short bed the best.  It's like having an SUV and pickup- you get inside storage and outside separation.  Having an SUV is not the answer for me because i'm not fitting a 10 footer let alone my 11 inside one.  My equipment is riding outside either way.  You can make it harder for someone to steal your equipment, but that's about it. 

11 ft rods fit inside my SUV to store if I need to 

2005 GMC Yukon.

They all ride outside in ski racks or in the cooler rack (only on the beach).  But if I leave the truck I can slide them into it no problem for safe keeping

3 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

11 ft rods fit inside my SUV to store if I need to 

2005 GMC Yukon.

They all ride outside in ski racks or in the cooler rack (only on the beach).  But if I leave the truck I can slide them into it no problem for safe keeping

I loved having a SS yukon just for that purpose.  If you remove the 3rd row seats you have a great fishing vehicle.  But its greatness ends there, unfortunately. 

For anyone following, I got the truck (2021 chevy silverado trail boss, crew cab short box, 5'8" bed).

All my rods fit in the bed diagonally when broken down, with some rod pieces being up to 7'6".

I have a couple 7'6" one piece boat rods that I have not tested but will likely not fit diagonally because of the extra bulk of the rod butts. I got a port-a-rod holder to mount in the bed for those.

I purchased a 2020 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab with a short bed last year. I have a roll up Tonneau Cover for the bed that locks when the truck is locked. This allows me to leave gear in the truck bed and hidden from view.

For my rods I transport them on top of the cab. When I purchased the truck from the Chevy Dealer I wanted them to do a factory install of roof racks with cross bars so I could mount my Skyline Precision Rod Vault to the rack. Chevy told me that factory racks were not an option for 2020. I then decided to go with a Rhino Rack which is locked on my truck and easily removable by me in the off season. My Skyline Rod Rack is 20 years old and this is the third vehicle I've had it on. The rack locks the reels inside an aluminum box with a PVC tube inside the aluminum box. The reel seat is protected so the reel can't be removed which in turn means the rod cannot be removed from the rack. If I leave the rods on my car and out of my sight I remove the reel handle, spool and nut as those can still be taken off. A pad lock is used but you could also use an anti theft type lock that would be more difficult to cut off by a would be thief.

Now the bad news. The Skyline Skyline Precison Rod Racks haven't been available for years. This rack is very similar to the Rod Vault made by Jimmy the welder from his old company "Hunter". That rack is also not made any longer. The most recent quality locking rack was RACK-A-ROD. I believe those are also no longer made. You might be able to find one of these style racks being sold by someone who wants to sell an old one or find a welder who can fabricate one. I have seen them posted for sale here on SOL. 

20200830_095330.jpg