Bdawk2020

Penn Squall II - Rough retrieve

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

Ive purchased two penn squall II’s off of Amazon and both have a rough, geary feeling when turning the handle. I returned one due to this but the replacement has a worse feel, almost grinding. Is there a break in period with these reels or something I should be checking for when I take off the side plate? Or did I just receive a couple of Amazon lemons?

Is this grindy feeling just straight out of the box; no line on the reel, and just toggling the freespool lever?

If so, it may be that the pinion gear is just not "dropping in" properly due to no weight resistance on the spool.

Make sure the drag is tight, then hold the spool still with your thumb while cranking the handle; you will feel it "drop in", and then winding the handle should feel normal. 
This simulates what a sinker or jig would do hanging off the line in normal fishing use.

What sizes do you have? I have the new SD15CS. I got it from Bass Pro in AC NJ.I bought it about a month and a half ago.My reel is as a smooth as butter. I didn’t think I was gonna like it at first. Everybody was complaining about that mag knob digging into their wrist.But I love mine.Got a watch buying off of Amazon sometimes. I noticed they have reels that  say new,But with no box and papers and and sometimes at a discounted price.Makes me wonder if they are reconditioned. I bought a few Penn fierce 4000’s a few years back and they said new Fulfilled by Amazon.When I got them NIB they looked brand new but were very geary also.So I took them apart and there was so much grease in there wasn’t even funny,it was ridiculous! So I cleaned all the grease out ,especially in the gears and there was tons and sure enough then they felt like a new reel should.They were nice and smooth after that.Sometimes too much grease is not a good thing. hope this helps. EA

3 hours ago, Bdawk2020 said:

These were 12’s. I returned them and bought a 15 locally that was fine. 

yeah I’ve never had any 12s. just a squall 15 and the new 15 distance casting special. Haven’t had any problem with my 15‘s. knock on wood! I have a couple Senator GLS 25s you want geary now they’re geary feeling lol.

Put pressure on the spool with your thumb, add drag and now wind.

What are you comparing this too? If you're a seasoned angler and

you're complaining there's obviously something wrong.

My custom party boat outfit for inshore gamefish. I slay with it.

18 hours ago, ExcessiveAngler said:

Everybody was complaining about that mag knob digging into their wrist.But I love mine.

it was the new Fathom II with the knobbly adjustment knob that had the wrist issue.  On the Squall II that mag knob is on the other side of the reel.  I heard some from Penn talk about the issue to explain the unfortunate location on the Fathom II, said it was there to allow making in-cast adjustments while bait was still in the air...

On 4/25/2021 at 10:58 PM, Tunanorth said:

Is this grindy feeling just straight out of the box; no line on the reel, and just toggling the freespool lever?

If so, it may be that the pinion gear is just not "dropping in" properly due to no weight resistance on the spool.

Make sure the drag is tight, then hold the spool still with your thumb while cranking the handle; you will feel it "drop in", and then winding the handle should feel normal. 
This simulates what a sinker or jig would do hanging off the line in normal fishing use.

This is very good advice. 

These reels are some of the best. I have both second gen. Squall and Fathoms. Never any problems. What Tunanorth said is accurate, but also these reels make slight a slight mechanical noise when cranking. Sometimes that mechanical noise can be mistaken for a less smooth drivetrain because of the very faint vibration. But the gearing is very strong and they mesh well.

I prefer the mag dial much more than the knob. The dial has strong positive clicks that do not slip. It also lets me palm the reel better. Penns system is the best. Better than knobs and better than sliders.