gellfex

How do you carry your fishing license? phone, laminated, waterproof paper?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

How do you carry your fishing license or salt registration? I used to print it on Rite in the Rain waterproof printer paper, but I can't find the sleeve of it I had. I see some guys just have it on the phone, but I don't always take my phone on the kayak. I've printed it on transparency, but it's a little hard to read. What are your solutions?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Print it out small. Bout the size of my drivers license. 

Then sandwhich it in clear packing tape. 

Edited by PSegnatelli

For saltwater l shrink the print some then cover both sides with clear shipping tape, l do a couple and keep them in the car and one on me.

My state always used to print it on normal receipt paper, which was great because it was somewhat waterproof and small enough to fit in a little ziplock and in the back of a wallet 

Last year? They switched  over to a full 8x11 sheet of paper, too big to fold up and fit in a wallet 

Not as waterproof as receipt paper, 

So I made 30 photocopies of it, and took a picture of it on my phone 

Have copies if it stuck in every plug bag, backpack and kayak I've got, but they still get wet in baggies and become illegible which is why I've got a backup on my phone 

If I get stopped out in the kayak or on the rocks ( it's never happened) they'll get a probably soggy copy of my license  and if thats not good enough I can pull it up on my phone 

If I get stopped in the parking lot or back at my car ( where I ways get stoped anyways) 

Il offer them the soggy copy, but also offer them a new dry one from in my car 

Hadn't thought of printing on waterproof paper, will have to look into that 

3m makes self lamination id/biz card sized plastic. No machine required.. every year I print out my new card and use the 3m self lamination. I get them at Walmart usually in the office supply isle but I’m sure many other office supply stores carry them, they come in packs and are cheap.

91Xnp9h7OdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by MattieG

I print 5 or 6 copies after going on line and renewing for the year. I then go to Staples Service desk and they laminate (using #10 lamination which is the heaviest) on one page. I then cut them into squares and keep one on each of my plug bags. I also carry one in my wallet. 100% waterproof when I wetsuit. It only costs about $5 to laminate 1 page.

On a side note I've never been asked to show it even if the DEC shows up or the Bay Constable. I guess they figure I have it.

I just take a picture on my phone, which has a waterproof case and leave the physical copy in my truck. Haven't ever been asked for it so no idea if there would be an issue.

Edited by Turkeybacn

4 hours ago, LB said:

For saltwater l shrink the print some then cover both sides with clear shipping tape, l do a couple and keep them in the car and one on me.

I do the same. Also keep a photo of it on my phone.

Paper copy folded in my wallet and a picture of it on my phone. 

If you actually get stopped and checked they can look you up in the system as well so not the end of the world if you happen to forget your hard copy. Happened to me on boat before, showed my phone photo then they looked me up. No issues. 

14 hours ago, Turkeybacn said:

I just take a picture on my phone, which has a waterproof case and leave the physical copy in my truck. Haven't ever been asked for it so no idea if there would be an issue.

I do exact same thing. I can pull up the DEP page in 10 seconds. I keep a hard paper copy in my truck. I was never asked to show my license. Even when chatting with officials. 

I have it laminted and tucked in a clear folder along with my beach permit (and every other permit for the past decade)

I also have a file in the camera roll of my phone with a scan of every permit, license, registration and insurance card for all vehicles just in case

Small 3"x4" plastic zip lock bag. Rubber bands hold to together and keep it from sliding out of a pocket. License is in a DIY lamination, shipping tape over the paper printout. Small bic lighter, alcohol wipes, pen, I drop in my drivers license and $25 in cash. Keep it in my shirt pocket. 

IMG_2076.jpg

Thanks all. I decided to print both my NY & NJ on a strip of transparency, fold it over with a piece of paper in between, and laminate in packing tape. Should do it, I keep it in a pocket on my PFD for kayaking, and will have PDF copies on the phone.