9 posts in this topic

Take it all apart, service it, grease it even tho you say it's smooth...

Soaking the green parts in white vinegar will clean off the green stuff. 

Try a magic eraser soap and water on it... if that doesn't work good enough..

I've used carb cleaner to clean up old reels, although don't use it on plastic or it will melt, I melted a handle knob once doing that. Wd40 will work too..

Dissemble, clean the painted parts and gears in plain Mineral Spirits... and old toothbrush or small paintbrush is good to clean the nooks. The plated parts clean in white vinegar as mention to remove the green oxide and scale. Lubricate and re-assemble.

Highly recommend taking photos while you disassemble the reel. While these reels are very simple, sometimes you do need a little bit of guidance putting them back together.

Disassembling anything - a digital camera or a cell phone is your friend. Taken piles of old reels apart where the replacement bits took months to arrive and being able to look at the pics of the parts in sequence and topside up saved me from hours of pain.

1 hour ago, speedwell said:

Disassembling anything - a digital camera or a cell phone is your friend. Taken piles of old reels apart where the replacement bits took months to arrive and being able to look at the pics of the parts in sequence and topside up saved me from hours of pain.

There's always a spring or a small part that can instantly vanish if your not careful.I make the mistake of not taking pictures now I have 20 Reels in zip lock bags

check and see if you can buy spare bail springs; have a couple on hand. My approach with my vintage reels is to buy a spare reel or two, and there are a bunch of Daiwa 7700s on the big auction site right now. As a spare, and for reference putting everything back together. 

Steve T

When, with an unfamiliar reel, you get to the spring loaded parts do the work with the reel and your paws in a big clear freezer bag.  It's amazing how fast they can launch into low earth orbit, never to be seen again.