Drew David

Green Crabs Standard for Sea Bass?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I was talking to a buddy of mine the other day who typically is more a surf guy than a boat guy. I, on the other hand and more of a boat guy. And he was telling me that people use green crabs when targeting bsb. Which I’m sure works but seemed odd to me.

I’ve done tog trips and I’ve done bottom fishing trips (Ling, cod, sea bass, etc.)

I understand green crabs when toggin and typically when I’ve gone out for the later, the normal bait is clam.

Can someone tell me if charters/ head boats would prefer to use crab over clam for bsb & other bottom species?

And yes, I am aware that people typically like jigs & such but this is purely a question about bait.

Thanks!

Sea bass will eat a crab, but not one boat uses them exclusively for sea bass.  (tog trip and seabass bycatch)

Clams are the current bait of choice on the boats.

The preferred bait is clam.

Why?

Because any fish in the ocean will eat a clam . Fishing PB it is their business and your pleasure, they are in it to make money,   clams are cheaper than green crabs, and go a lot farther, LOL and put more stink in the drink.

Posted (edited) · Report post

52 mins ago, Snaps said:

The preferred bait is clam.

Why?

Because any fish in the ocean will eat a clam . Fishing PB it is their business and your pleasure, they are in it to make money,   clams are cheaper than green crabs, and go a lot farther, LOL and put more stink in the drink.

What he said. But I prefer epoxy jigs.  No stink and lots of fish in the bucket.

Edited by Spigola

Some boats put out squid strips along with clam for bsb. I agree that no NJ boats use crabs ober clams/squid for bsb. Jigs have become popular 

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

What he said. But I prefer epoxy jigs.  No stink and lots of fish in the bucket.

The man said to not talk about jigs!!

Trouble child.

Never even heard of crab being a primary bait for BSB.

Clam, Squid, Mackerel, Gulp!, jigs, Shrimp, Minnows, Fluke Belly, Falsie strips/chunks (my personal favorite), yeah, but crab?  Nah.