Kayak sales

Have not done too much serious shopping for them but did make some calls and visited 2 dealerships recently. All I can say is that dealers inventory is looking a lot like the TP isle ate Walmart a out a year ago. Supply and demand issues and hear that there are more quality issues showing up including missing part on new orders. While almost all plastic kayaks are made in the USA, some parts are from over seas. Also, our workforce is still thin and there are many still out due to the pandemic, even if you have new employees to replace them, they may not be as experienced and could run into quality issues.. Adding demand at an all, time high and it is a terrible time all around to buy a new kayak. 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:11 AM, NHAngler said:

Have not done too much serious shopping for them but did make some calls and visited 2 dealerships recently. All I can say is that dealers inventory is looking a lot like the TP isle ate Walmart a out a year ago. Supply and demand issues and hear that there are more quality issues showing up including missing part on new orders. While almost all plastic kayaks are made in the USA, some parts are from over seas. Also, our workforce is still thin and there are many still out due to the pandemic, even if you have new employees to replace them, they may not be as experienced and could run into quality issues.. Adding demand at an all, time high and it is a terrible time all around to buy a new kayak. 

A couple of Hobie Revo's have popped up on NH Craigslist recently, and for reasonable prices. What are you looking for?

Have not done too much serious shopping for them but did make some calls and visited 2 dealerships recently

New or used, bring cash and get it done. A handful of Benjamin’s can reserve a new yak, or drive down the price on something used.

Come Memorial Day, everybody and their brother wants a kayak.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

6 hours ago, drmevo said:

A couple of Hobie Revo's have popped up on NH Craigslist recently, and for reasonable prices. What are you looking for?

Old town sportsman 120 PDL or the Bigwater 132 but have also noticed and curious with the Wilderness Recon PDL. 

I would not buy a used Hobie unless it were newer, under warranty, and a killer price. 

10 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Old town sportsman 120 PDL or the Bigwater 132 but have also noticed and curious with the Wilderness Recon PDL. 

I would not buy a used Hobie unless it were newer, under warranty, and a killer price. 

I hear you. These did have the newer seat and both were priced under $1800, but I don’t think they had 180 drives. Not chump change by any means but not bad for the crazy market we are in. I’ll keep an eye out for Old Towns or Wilderness. 

Ya, I sold my Hobie revolution 13 a couple of years ago. Loved it. However to me, it was like owning a time bomb. May have never experienced the cracking hull issue but was coming up frequent enough that I did not want to see a $2-3K fancy kayak shift into being near worthless plastic. 

I went up to KTP this past weekend. Big sale coming up but their inventory was nearly empty with only sob stories of manufacturers having supply / demand issues. They said the only reason they are still having the sale is because they advertised it. Heard this from other NH dealers that I called for similar models. even Hobies with May/June orders spoken for. Several do have the Autopilots in stock but if I'm going to make kayak fishing that complex and expensive ($5K), I'll just use my boat. To me using a kayak means increased access, ease of transport, simplicity, etc. I think peddle kayaks are even a little over the top from this but the hands free feature in current is worth it. I do miss my Hobie in that regard. 

Post today from local Old Town dealer.  Get it now or get it next winter.

Kayak & canoe weather is upon us. Inventory is very low and we are not able to get more kayaks & canoes till August, very few then.
If you are looking for a kayak or canoe come on out and get it before they are all gone.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Post today from local Old Town dealer.  Get it now or get it next winter.

Kayak & canoe weather is upon us. Inventory is very low and we are not able to get more kayaks & canoes till August, very few then.
If you are looking for a kayak or canoe come on out and get it before they are all gone.

That poor guy just opened his business this year.  Probably will be out of business by Thanksgiving.  How do you run a canoe and kayak store with no inventory?

I thought you were serious.  KTP was willing to take a few bucks off during the fishing sale even on models that were on the way for May. Balkers will lose. 

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

That poor guy just opened his business this year.  Probably will be out of business by Thanksgiving.  How do you run a canoe and kayak store with no inventory?

They get creative. Find another brand / supplier. Buy used / resell. Sell cigars, leomonade, and ice cream cones.

Back in February I called a local boat dealer to inquire about ordering a new aluminum boat. The guy laughed at me and told me how I could not and that all of the boats coming in were spoken for. I asked him if hew as the owner and he said no, sales. Then I asked him what he plans to do for a living. It got silent after that. 

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I thought you were serious.  KTP was willing to take a few bucks off during the fishing sale even on models that were on the way for May. Balkers will lose. 

What I was told was that the only way to get the sale price is to pay in full, then come back during the sale for a refund of the difference (they will give you store credit) and with a pre-order to pay in full during the actual sale. But I think not having any in stock may be the greatest savings for me. :) 

Edited by NHAngler

On 4/26/2021 at 2:40 PM, NHAngler said:

Ya, I sold my Hobie revolution 13 a couple of years ago. Loved it. However to me, it was like owning a time bomb. May have never experienced the cracking hull issue but was coming up frequent enough that I did not want to see a $2-3K fancy kayak shift into being near worthless plastic. 

I went up to KTP this past weekend. Big sale coming up but their inventory was nearly empty with only sob stories of manufacturers having supply / demand issues. They said the only reason they are still having the sale is because they advertised it. Heard this from other NH dealers that I called for similar models. even Hobies with May/June orders spoken for. Several do have the Autopilots in stock but if I'm going to make kayak fishing that complex and expensive ($5K), I'll just use my boat. To me using a kayak means increased access, ease of transport, simplicity, etc. I think peddle kayaks are even a little over the top from this but the hands free feature in current is worth it. I do miss my Hobie in that regard. 

I think the same way.  I rather have a tin boat and a tiller outboard for the price of a Flintstone powered yak.  I'm looking into an Eddyline as it supposed to be a simple, lightweight, paddler.  It seems the best I can do is place the order for the one I want in October for spring delivery.

Edited by Pauleye
(*member formerly known as 'SWPaulie')