doublegregg

what is in the surf in northern california ... late april, may

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

just wondering what i can get up there now in the surf. around stillwater cove, n of bodega bay. and what they might be biting on.  i tend to use light stuff, not heavy bait tossing. my friend spear fishes, i'll be fishing. is this still a good time for dungeness, btw?

thank you........!

Edited by doublegregg

The beaches North of Bodega can produce very good fishing for Red Tail perch along with a very rare occasional striper.  Rocky areas can produce quite a variety of rockfish including Cabazon & Ling Cod, Gopher cod, Greenlings, Black rockfish & Olive rockfish  along with an assortment of others.... Poke poling on big minus tides you might even get some Blenny's  (a type of fish that looks like an eel) & also some rock fish.  BEFORE YOU GO ................. be CERTAIN that conditions are in your favor.... Calm seas/small surf, minimal wind , decent water clarity,  good tides.  Many of the surfing websites that predict surfing conditions can be very helpful in determining whether or not to head north.... I hope this helps...  Mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

The beaches North of Bodega can produce very good fishing for Red Tail perch along with a very rare occasional striper.  Rocky areas can produce quite a variety of rockfish including Cabazon & Ling Cod, Gopher cod, Greenlings, Black rockfish & Olive rockfish  along with an assortment of others.... Poke poling on big minus tides you might even get some Blenny's  (a type of fish that looks like an eel) & also some rock fish.  BEFORE YOU GO ................. be CERTAIN that conditions are in your favor.... Calm seas/small surf, minimal wind , decent water clarity,  good tides.  Many of the surfing websites that predict surfing conditions can be very helpful in determining whether or not to head north.... I hope this helps...  Mike

thanks, mike... i'm going up with my friend, a spear fisher... a few daze ago he got a 15# ling...  we'll keep an eye on the swells, etc... red tail sounds nice. 

Edited by doublegregg

On 4/24/2021 at 7:49 PM, doublegregg said:

just wondering what i can get up there now in the surf. around stillwater cove, n of bodega bay. and what they might be biting on.  i tend to use light stuff, not heavy bait tossing. my friend spear fishes, i'll be fishing. is this still a good time for dungeness, btw?

thank you........!

Perch and striper

Sorry Moocks,  It looks like Decap is keeping all that hot secret info unrevealed......  p.s.  I've never caught a striper around Still Water Cove..... but did get one around 14 inches off that secret beach you got stuck on...