rod length

Rate this topic

Thumb-Burner

been thinking too much again.  I have quite a few 9.5-10.5 foot rods.   don't love any of them (well, maybe one).  starting to think that while this length is really versatile, perhaps it doesn't excel at anything..   thinking of going toward all 8-9'ers and everything else 11'+.    any strong opinions on the idea?

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

Not a strong opinion, but I have really come to like my 7 to 8 foot rods.

I seem to have to work harder when using 10 foot rods. They give more leverage to the fish during a fight and take more effort to cast. 

It may just be the areas I fish, but I don’t feel I’m giving up many fish due to any loss of casting distance.

7 hours ago, jimmy z said:

I guess it depends on the area you're fishing.  The area I like to fish, finds me using 10'ers. A beach will have me using longer rods:howdy:

almost all open beach for me

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

I use a 10'6" rod from the beach not only for longer casts, but to keep my line above the shore break and weed strands.

When fishing for calico bass (West Coast) from a boat, I also like a longer rod to pull the bass up and out of the kelp.

When fishing from a small boat with an outboard, I like to make sure my rod is long enough to circle the stern and keep my line well away from the motor.

I use 8’ in a lot of backbay areas. Open beach.. from 9’ to sometimes 10 6’. Primarily though my 8-9 are my main setups. 

8’ is a lil short if your on an open beach.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

10 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

been thinking too much again.

Sometimes , that is a problem.

:howdy:

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

2 hours ago, tcarroll said:

I never understood is theory. Is the any fact to this? 

Put a one pound weight on the floor. Tie a string to it. Now tie the string to the end of a short pole. Pick up the weight while holding on to the pole like it’s a fishing rod. Now repeat the procedure with a long pole. Guess what? The weight is harder to lift with the longer pole. 

It’s not a theory, it’s physics.

13 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

been thinking too much again.  I have quite a few 9.5-10.5 foot rods.   don't love any of them (well, maybe one).  starting to think that while this length is really versatile, perhaps it doesn't excel at anything..   thinking of going toward all 8-9'ers and everything else 11'+.    any strong opinions on the idea?

I tend to agree. I think rods over 9 and under 11 can be good but don’t excel at anything. 

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I tend to agree. I think rods over 9 and under 11 can be good but don’t excel at anything. 

the fact that I never cast lures over 2 oz makes me think even more this is the case. I don't fish for stripers so never use big heavy plugs. when I'm using more than 2 oz it's likely in a spike with bait hoping for a giant pompano or red drum