Draekon

New FG Knot finishing knot: J-Finish

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

For all of you that think fg's take forever - try doubling up your braid, winding it around pinky/ring, (starting with the tag/mainline ends) then use thumb/index to open up the looped end and apply tension.

Keep your line loop taut by pushing your fingers opposingly, then wind your leader over/under as FG's require.

Using your other hand/mouth, you can lace up even long knots very quickly. Hitch, tighten, finish as preferred and test your results. 

If I can find the video I learned it from I'll post the description. This method helped me learn the knot, and I don't honestly see how anyone could tie it another way.

10 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Eric, for super strong knots that won't be cast, but could be pulled by a shark or ray, FG or PR your mainline to to much heavier length of braid and then join the top up or top shot with the same method to the heavy braid

I have a reel that needs topping off and this seems like a way to go since the splice wouldn't be cast, what I want to know is, am I wrapping the lighter line around the heavier line on both ends? That would make sense, right? Also, I'm using MaxCuatro, should I do PRs instead of FGs on the splices?

36 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I have a reel that needs topping off and this seems like a way to go since the splice wouldn't be cast, what I want to know is, am I wrapping the lighter line around the heavier line on both ends? That would make sense, right? Also, I'm using MaxCuatro, should I do PRs instead of FGs on the splices?

ZAfisher has forgotten more about fishing than I know, but... I will pass along a tip that came from another guru on SOL named Aquaholic. 

For braid to braid PRs, do your normal bobbin wraps up and back then lock in with a half hitch. I think you can finish the knot with more hitches or a rizutto at this point but definitely get your bobbin out of there. (Unless you have a spare and most don’t.) Don’t tighten yet!!

Before you ever pull on the main line - in this case either side of the knot - and cinch the knot down, put several yards of thin braid on that bobbin. At the end of the PR where you turn the wraps around and start coming back towards where you started, do a little mini PR type of thing “overwrapping” that end by an inch or two where that line enters the knot and back onto the knot. 

This is the spot where the PR (and same weakness can be prevented at the turnaround point with a braided line bimini) can become a tourniquet that cuts through itself before the rest of the knot ever has a chance to do its thing. You want to just lock in the wraps at that end so they don’t pull too tight as the finger trap effect is gonna work best at the middle of the PR. 

Do it that way and I would bet money that it’s as close to 100% of breaking strength as about any knot can be. But it’s definitely too long & bulky to be flying through the rod guides on a cast! 

Thanks for reading to the end the 5 people who made it!

2 mins ago, EricDice said:

ZAfisher has forgotten more about fishing than I know, but... I will pass along a tip that came from another guru on SOL named Aquaholic. 

For braid to braid PRs, do your normal bobbin wraps up and back then lock in with a half hitch. I think you can finish the knot with more hitches or a rizutto at this point but definitely get your bobbin out of there. (Unless you have a spare and most don’t.) Don’t tighten yet!!

Before you ever pull on the main line - in this case either side of the knot - and cinch the knot down, put several yards of thin braid on that bobbin. At the end of the PR where you turn the wraps around and start coming back towards where you started, do a little mini PR type of thing “overwrapping” that end by an inch or two where that line enters the knot and back onto the knot. 

This is the spot where the PR (and same weakness can be prevented at the turnaround point with a braided line bimini) can become a tourniquet that cuts through itself before the rest of the knot ever has a chance to do its thing. You want to just lock in the wraps at that end so they don’t pull too tight as the finger trap effect is gonna work best at the middle of the PR. 

Do it that way and I would bet money that it’s as close to 100% of breaking strength as about any knot can be. But it’s definitely too long & bulky to be flying through the rod guides on a cast! 

Thanks for reading to the end the 5 people who made it!

I made it to the end trying to figure out what language you were using. May as well have been Chinese, because I didn't understand a word of it. I'm going to reread it a few times and see if it penetrates my brainpan.

2 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I made it to the end trying to figure out what language you were using. May as well have been Chinese, because I didn't understand a word of it. I'm going to reread it a few times and see if it penetrates my brainpan.

Haha. Understand! I’ll look for Lee’s video on the tube 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay, @RockRonin I was right that @aqua-holic (aquaholicLee on the tube) posted this video here on SOL but it’s by App66 on the tube. I’ve watched about all his & Lee’s video for testing lines & knots, etc. 

Edited by EricDice
Tagged ronin

@zcoker talks about doing a hybrid knot or splice on his shark lure rigs. Hi stead of a heavy mono leader from main line to lure, he uses like 200# braid attached to his 50-65 pound braid mainline. As he explains it, part FG (or PR), part Pacific region braiding with lots of locking knots in the mix to prevent slippage. I showed him my attempt and he pointed out that I neglected the locking knots. He tried to explain it to me but I am not more able to tie it now than before. 

59 mins ago, flyangler said:

@zcoker talks about doing a hybrid knot or splice on his shark lure rigs. Hi stead of a heavy mono leader from main line to lure, he uses like 200# braid attached to his 50-65 pound braid mainline. As he explains it, part FG (or PR), part Pacific region braiding with lots of locking knots in the mix to prevent slippage. I showed him my attempt and he pointed out that I neglected the locking knots. He tried to explain it to me but I am not more able to tie it now than before. 

Is that like an Aussie braid? If so, I’ve used that to double line instead of a Bimini and I had it slip under pressure of a bluefish. Not a gator blue just a hard fighting medium sized yellow eyed bastard. 

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

Is that like an Aussie braid? If so, I’ve used that to double line instead of a Bimini and I had it slip under pressure of a bluefish. Not a gator blue just a hard fighting medium sized yellow eyed bastard. 

Not certain, maybe