seachunk2

Prescription Sunglasses???

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, seachunk2 said:

Frugal...thanks for explaining how the script works! 

No problem. I think it's something eyeglass wearers should know.  IMO a lot about the optical prices is outrageous.

Generally, progressives, bifocals, highly curved, oversized, and polarized lenses are the only ones that need to be cut/ground. The rest can be from "stock lenses" (pre cut), which cost about $0.50 per lens,  yeah 50 cents. Even some photochromatic lenses are that cheap. Regular sunglasses with a script but without an add power are just dyed clear lenses. The most expensive lenses are polycarbonate, "transitions," (they change better than regular photochomatic) which run around $35 per lens.  

Frames are a whole different story. Basic frames can be as cheap as $5 but name brands can go as high as $1500. When I was in the optical field of work (thanks covid) I would tell friends to buy their own frames - even dollar store- and I'll pop some lenses into them.  It takes about 20 minutes for non-add scripts. Frameless lenses need to be drilled and take much more effort/ time.

Oh and there's a number in scripts that most doctors don't like to give to patients because with that number you can get glasses anywhere. It's the "P.D." pupilary distance -- the distance between one's pupils. Usually, it's around 64mm. Easy to figure out with help from someone.  Just keep a fixed stare straight ahead and with a sharpie mark where the pupils are. Measure the distance between the dots in millimeters then use rubbing alcohol to remove the dots.

If you were closer to my area, I would recommend some shops,  but we didn't deal much with places outside of NJ & The 5 boroughs...

I know it's long winded but I'm bored with no transportation 

6 hours ago, Frugal Fisherman said:

Oh and there's a number in scripts that most doctors don't like to give to patients because with that number you can get glasses anywhere. It's the "P.D." pupilary distance -- the distance between one's pupils. Usually, it's around 64mm. Easy to figure out with help from someone.  Just keep a fixed stare straight ahead and with a sharpie mark where the pupils are. Measure the distance between the dots in millimeters then use rubbing alcohol to remove the dots.

Im trying to follow what you have written , Im assuming you mean stare through a piece of glass?

How close to the eyes does it have to be ?

12 hours ago, riggler said:

Im trying to follow what you have written , Im assuming you mean stare through a piece of glass?

How close to the eyes does it have to be ?

Through one's eyeglasses

2 hours ago, theshadow said:

Question: Is the distance[PD] from the center of your nose to the pupil?

Pupil to pupil... it's usually around 64mm for an adult.... but 55 to 75mm is pretty normal...if one has a "lazy eye" it's whole different ballgame. There will be an extra part of the script called "prism".... demand the doctor gives u the "pd" when you go for an exam.