seachunk2

Prescription Sunglasses???

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I want to get a good pair of wrap-around frame, polarized prescription fishing sunglasses.

I'd need progressive or bi-focal lens. I need glasses for distance & reading.

Does lens color make any difference or is that just cosmetic? Any other functional features to include?

Do I buy them from the Optometrist ($400) or are there better sources?

Costco price is around $200 but they only offer standard type frames.

I'm leaning towards a wrap-around frame to block out any light coming in from the sides, not for looks.   

Edited by seachunk2

I think the tint color does make a difference and matching the general color with the water really helps see below the surface ie. Brown lenses with tea stained water. I've had blue,  green,  grey and brown. "Grey 3"   probably is the most versatile....Depending on your script,  wrap-around (highly curved lenses) can be next to impossible to look normal let alone fit into the frame. Also,  I would go with bifocals as they're easier to get correct than progressives... if you have a negative script, (like a -3.25 with a 2 add) I would go with a flatter frame and get side shields to block out ambient light.

Cutting scripts into lenses is pretty interesting. It's all about "base curves." A truly flat lens on the front is a 0 base curve and some wrap- around are 8 base.   8 base is really curved but it's hard to cut negative scripts into them - they're meant for positive scripts and the more positive the script the smaller the lens but way thicker. 

TL:DR  

Grey bifocals probably your best bet. Get flatter frames and use blinders.  There's no way I'd pay over 200 just to get lenses put into frames

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  @Frugal Fisherman pretty much spot on.  I've had "script" sunglasses for over 45 years now and have settled in on progressives now.  That being said, I usually have to take them off when tying knots, just like I do when I'm sitting at home tying rigs.  Don't worry so much about wrap arounds; I had one pair and didn't find them any better than a pair of good, close-fitting flatter ones.  I've never felt a need for having blinders...

Just buy the "best" lens you choose to buy and if you want progressives, make sure you go "flatter", and more importantly, "taller" on the lenses for best results.  By choosing the "best lens", you usually limit your color choice since each manufacturer tends to offer only 1 or 2 tint choices for polarizing lenses.  I've tried them all and grey is best all around, but that might be because grey is usually the only color you can get...

Edited by Roccus7

Wrap glasses and scrip won't happen unless your script is so minor you likely don't need them.

Brown/Tan are the most versatile grey only good in sunshine. The brown makes seeing fish easier.

Would be cool to have all colors cost to much.  

3 mins ago, Oldroe said:

Wrap glasses and scrip won't happen unless your script is so minor you likely don't need them.

Brown/Tan are the most versatile grey only good in sunshine. The brown makes seeing fish easier.

I've gotten a -5.00 script into some wrap- arounds. Edges of the lenses were like a half inch thick lol...I used to work in the industry. 

I started with Costas semi wrap around over $400 10yrs ago, They were fine,but I decided to try Costco brown bi focals when my prescription changed.  Cost for around $200 and I found them to be just as good and have since bgt a second pair. They are polarized as well.  I use them in the everglades which has tinted water color and they are amazing. Worth a try IMO.

1 hour ago, Oldroe said:

This is what I have found to be true in my case.

I’m pretty hard on sunglasses, especially on the beach, getting micro scratches and eventually fogging clear vision. My last pair of bifocals are real glass ( Smith Optics ) A bit heavier but can take the abuse and keeping clear crisp vision through the years. The only reason I’m getting new ones is for a prescription change. 

Thanks for all this info!

My prescription shows:

Sphere  Cylinder  Axis  Add 

OD  +3.75     -0.25       039  +2.50

OS  +2.50     -0.25       149  +2.50

I'm not familiar with reading scripts, so besides saying that I'm getting old (LOL), I'm not sure what it's telling me.

I gather from the comments, I have a "positive script"???? If so, how does that change things, if at all? 

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, seachunk2 said:

Thanks for all this info!

My prescription shows:

Sphere  Cylinder  Axis  Add 

OD  +3.75     -0.25       039  +2.50

OS  +2.50     -0.25       149  +2.50

I'm not familiar with reading scripts, so besides saying that I'm getting old (LOL), I'm not sure what it's telling me.

I gather from the comments, I have a "positive script"???? If so, how does that change things, if at all? 

Thanks! 

Yep that's a positive script. It changes how lenses are cut. U might be able to get wraps. That script can definitely get cut into high curved lens 

On 2021-04-24 at 3:19 PM, seachunk2 said:

I want to get a good pair of wrap-around frame, polarized prescription fishing sunglasses.

I'd need progressive or bi-focal lens. I need glasses for distance & reading.

Does lens color make any difference or is that just cosmetic? Any other functional features to include?

Do I buy them from the Optometrist ($400) or are there better sources?

Costco price is around $200 but they only offer standard type frames.

I'm leaning towards a wrap-around frame to block out any light coming in from the sides, not for looks.   

I couldn't find anyone who can make the sunglasses with the progressive lens so I went to Costco and bought the ESP Over-the-Glasses, they are polarized. No style........

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 3.53.35 PM.png

Edited by Mahigo

Check out Zenni, you can get everything but the wraparound for around $110. Being on the salt is hard on glasses, why buy high end? I wear progressives normally, but not on the water, I just slip them down my nose or take them off for knotting etc. My polarized glasses cost $50.

41 mins ago, gellfex said:

Check out Zenni, you can get everything but the wraparound for around $110. Being on the salt is hard on glasses, why buy high end? I wear progressives normally, but not on the water, I just slip them down my nose or take them off for knotting etc. My polarized glasses cost $50.

I assume you have a negative script. That wouldn't work for someone with a positive script....

how the scripts work: a positive script like the one posted, "+3.75," is for people who have issues seeing close objects. The add power, "+2.50" adds more magnification for even closer things. That'll bring the total script in the bifocal/ bottom of the progressive to +6.25. 

Negative is for trouble with distance vision. So, say one has a script for bifocals/progressives  like -2.50 cyl with a +2.50 add, looking into the progressive/bifocal is equivalent to just taking off one's glasses 

*the cylinder is for astigmatism; it stretches things vertically or horizontally deepening on the degrees. A 0.25 is almost nothing and one can get contact lenses but would need "cheaters," aka reading glasses for close vision

Edited by Frugal Fisherman
Seeing better

These are some of the personal use glasses I've made.  Notice the semi-wraps (3rd down from the top). They were at the edge of what we would try to put into curved frames.  I have a negative script -2.75 and -2.00....

20170615_200826_1515209445741.jpg

Edited by Frugal Fisherman