BrianBM

Heaviest punching heavyweight of all time

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

I'll go with Holmes since I met him and sat in the front row for one of his fights.

If you have never sat in the front seats at a major fight you need to add that to your bucket list.

Punches are twice as fast and twice as hard as what they appear on TV.

I remember seeing some iconic fights over the rabbit ears on ABC wide world of sports when I was a kid...

On 4/25/2021 at 5:21 PM, Highlander1 said:

Knock Out Punch-George Foreman, Ernie Shavers and Mike Tyson.

Best jabs- Ali, Holmes and Lennox Lewis

Left Hook- Joe Frazier, his arm was hook shaped, didn't appear as if he could straighten it.

Best of All Time- Ali

And its not close

23 hours ago, triumph said:

I remember seeing some iconic fights over the rabbit ears on ABC wide world of sports when I was a kid...

But the price was having to listen to Howard Cosell. ;) 

Joe Louis, The Brown Bomber...“His Punches Could Paralyze You.”

By Monte D. Cox

Joe Louis was the most powerful and fastest punching heavyweight boxer in ring history. His great hand speed, especially in combination, was awesome to behold. He had a powerful jab, threw every punch perfectly and with wasteless accuracy. His right cross, thrown short and straight, was sheer dynamite. The "Brown Bomber" never ducked anyone as his record 25 title defenses attests to. Of those 25 successful defenses, 21 were won by knockout, 17 of those were ten counts! 5 in the first round! He also knocked out six men who held the Heavyweight Championship of the World. From 1934 to 1949, when he first retired as champion, his record was 60-1 with 51 knockouts. He held the Heavyweight Championship for a record of nearly 12 years.

CT

Yes.  And not just that, we know him only from grainy footage, much of it very, very jerky.  You can evaluate a Tyson (Iron Mike or T. Fury, you pick) on more exacting digital images, with slo-mo and whatnot, that simply didn't exist.

Training and nutrition have become far more sophisticated, fighters have gotten bigger. Fighters once famous for their strength and power might not shine any more. F'rinstance, I don't think Marciano ever fought at above 190 lbs. Modern fighters in this division start at around 220 and go up from there.

On 5/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, BrianBM said:

Yes.  And not just that, we know him only from grainy footage, much of it very, very jerky.  You can evaluate a Tyson (Iron Mike or T. Fury, you pick) on more exacting digital images, with slo-mo and whatnot, that simply didn't exist.

Training and nutrition have become far more sophisticated, fighters have gotten bigger. Fighters once famous for their strength and power might not shine any more. F'rinstance, I don't think Marciano ever fought at above 190 lbs. Modern fighters in this division start at around 220 and go up from there.

yeah but Louis and Marciano would also benefit from TODAYS nutrition and training.....have no doubt they'd excel today as would....

Jim Brown in the NFL

Aaron, Mays and Mantle in  MLB  and

Orr in the NHL, yeah todays players are faster, that means Orr would have teammates able to keep up with him now  :laugh:

how many HR's would Aaron have finished with using PED's  :eek:

talking about generational talents .....those guys would absolutely excel today

no question

everybody talks about how many years have passed.....that's all bull  

On 5/2/2021 at 6:55 AM, jeffw said:

Foreman's jab, .an anvil mounted on a piston  He had an arsenal of power punches, but the jab, damn. Not the fastest delivery, but.....

Now, THAT is a well-turned phrase.:clap: