27conch

Yo Zuri Mag Darter question

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

I throw the 5" 80% of the time, has saved countless skunks on the beach. In April I will use the largest most of the time and have caught solid fish, other nights nothing and I'll switch and catch on the smaller one. Definitely good to have both 

From the time it hit the market to now I think the 5” mag darter was the single best swimmer that came out during all my years of fishing (1980- now). I can’t think of another plug that would be a close second.  The vast majority of plugs catch at some point but that 5” is a very hot little swimmer. 

How do you all like to rig mag darters? I like the single inline on the belly and nothing on the rear. I’ve only dabbled with the 5” but it works great for this smaller plug. 

8 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

How do you all like to rig mag darters? I like the single inline on the belly and nothing on the rear. I’ve only dabbled with the 5” but it works great for this smaller plug. 

Thinking about trying that rigging method on some wood plugs.

Has anyone tried a single siwash on the belly? 

Cut treble hook 1/0 4x or 2/0 4x, 100lbs barrel swivel, split ring. No rear hook need at all with this method. It can slightly roll out a little wildly if you really yank on it but that’s not usually how I retrieve under any circumstance. Steady slow, crawl, or either of those speeds with twitch & pause in the mix. 

I wrap the hook eye with thread, superglue, and then sally hard as nails. I try to cover the cut so it doesn’t rust out.

Also, I’m using the thread to limit the swivel’s action making that a joint with some movement but limited articulation. This lessens the likelihood of fouling the longer hook/swivel combo on the back of the lure, over the lip/front, and on the main line. 

Anyone who “canal rigs” their swimmers should be wary of the hook wrapping up on the back of the plug as it very quickly dulls the treble hook points to a nub. (Look for the nicks in the finish on top and check the hook points.)

On 4/24/2021 at 11:36 AM, t_man7 said:

Personally I prefer the original of every product.  In this case with the mag darter that would be the 5in.  Bassdozer mentioned in his Surf Plugology article about this.  I’ll find another model plug to fill my need in the larger size range if need be.  One that possesses “Je n’ai sais quoi”

54208824-0D5E-4B8A-9130-88CE8826F96C.jpeg

Nice post! I have a love hate relationship with French stuff/culture, but they nailed that expression. 

12 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

What brand/size inline hook? 

I use Owner’s as my rear hooks and run a belly treble on all my plugs. I do carry one Hydro Minnow with two inlines (Owner - 5/0s) for when I’m eventually on a good bite to see if I have to confidence to switch to them fully...

Was getting decent fish on the 6” Hydro Minnow last night. Figured switching to the big Mag Darter (6 1/2”) might net me even bigger fish but of course it actually ended up getting me fish half the size as before...

First fish on any Mag Darter for me though and it‘a definitely gonna stay in my bag for a bit. 

1 hour ago, TinyTrout said:

What brand/size inline hook? 

I use Owner’s as my rear hooks and run a belly treble on all my plugs. I do carry one Hydro Minnow with two inlines (Owner - 5/0s) for when I’m eventually on a good bite to see if I have to confidence to switch to them fully...

I’ve just been running a 2/0 VMC inline with black nickel finish but thinking of switching over to the Owner inlines. These VMCs seem to rust really easily to me (hardly an issue with any of the perma steel VMC trebles or siwash I use). Have the Owners on a couple plugs and don’t notice it as severe. 

Locations matters.  Out going tide from a creek mouth is probably flushing out small bait.  I use the smallest of the 3.  Wading out from the beach in open water then the medium or large work best until late in the season.  Then I switch back to the smallest again. 

14 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Thinking about trying that rigging method on some wood plugs.

Has anyone tried a single siwash on the belly? 

Tommy, Comn... Don't be silly. i'm here to catch fish not miss fish

1 min ago, fishless said:

Locations matters.  Out going tide from a creek mouth is probably flushing out small bait.  I use the smallest of the 3.  Wading out from the beach in open water then the medium or large work best until late in the season.  Then I switch back to the smallest again. 

I picked up the smallest in bone for small bait during the summer when I’m using a lighter rod. Do you ever toss it on a bigger rod? I always think about bringing it to a few spots but have no idea how the 9’ 6” Airwave Elite would handle it.