hotfishgirl

How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

135 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Not much time for fishing atm,Once again i have really gone overboard and went from a half dozen potted plants to a 1 acre garden.

P1070729.JPG

Similar boat for me,(went way overboard) but definitely not an acre. That's a ton of work. Your garden looks good btw

Unfortunately I'm not smart like you to set fishing mostly aside while getting the garden in.. and have been trying to cram in my normal fishing too, which has left me zombified/exhausted-- and gardening after sunset by headlamp and car headlight. Just me and the miniture jackasses (it's a farm) out after dark. This spring I learned jackasses spend the evening farting up a storm. Every 30 seconds: "phhhfffrip".

Just unreal

Interesting observation.    All my tomatoes are in. Most in 10 gallon soft buckets, a dozen in the raised bed.  All are saturated.  However all that are in pots are doing very well, with several having grown a few inches.  The plants in the raised bed are languishing.  Nice and green but about the same size as when we planted them. 

13 hours ago, bob_G said:

Interesting observation.    All my tomatoes are in. Most in 10 gallon soft buckets, a dozen in the raised bed.  All are saturated.  However all that are in pots are doing very well, with several having grown a few inches.  The plants in the raised bed are languishing.  Nice and green but about the same size as when we planted them. 

Same problem I'm having, the bigger beds with more soil are not doing as well as the stuff in smaller pots, more damn rain last night didnt help either. Too much free water the past week.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have some plants in containers, some in raised beds and some in the ground in mounds. I have had the most consistent  results from the raised beds and the mounds this year. My results in containers have been good with Tomatoes but poor with cukes. I add amendments (bone meal, liquid kelp, compost and organic fertilizer) to both my containers, raised beds and in ground. On top of that I have raised cannabis for a friend with a neurological condition that she uses to control her pain. For 4 years I added the growing soil (happy frog) to my raised beds after harvesting the cannabis. Last year I started adding it to my mounds as well. Over the years a fair amount kof perlite has also found it’s way into the garden. I’ve used it in the fabric pots for years based on my experience with cannabis. This has led to a garden that takes more watering but reacts better when you get a cold wet spring like we had. All my crops other than cukes are thriving. Another added benefit is the perlite makes it easier to turn over and till.

I could’t do the work I’ve done to build up the soil if I did a Garden like hotfishgirl. My garden is big enough to feed my wife and I, even if we have a few disasters. If no disasters I will be sharing with friends, except the strawberries. Those are all mine, at least the ones my wife doesn’t eat.

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

Anyone here clone their tomato plants? My girlfriend has read about the importance of pruning the branches off the bottom of the plants for airflow. I figured I’d give cloning a shot. Not totally wrapping my head around how the branches will become plants, but I figure it’s worth a shot.

27 mins ago, JTR said:

Anyone here clone their tomato plants? My girlfriend has read about the importance of pruning the branches off the bottom of the plants for airflow. I figured I’d give cloning a shot. Not totally wrapping my head around how the branches will become plants, but I figure it’s worth a shot.

Pruning is important , but I don't put that much emphasis on it because we grow so many plants.

However the growing season is now.  How can you clone  cuttings and have them produce  by summer. Most tomatoes take 70-90 days.

27 mins ago, bob_G said:

Pruning is important , but I don't put that much emphasis on it because we grow so many plants.

However the growing season is now.  How can you clone  cuttings and have them produce  by summer. Most tomatoes take 70-90 days.

90 days would be the beginning of September. Should be plenty of time for growing 

12 hours ago, JTR said:

As the tomatoes grow up and out, I end up pruning 8-12" of the lowest tomato leaves and maybe a low branch or two by the time they're mature. But I've never tried cloning the branches or suckers. I think keeping leaves off the dirt may help a bit with fungal diseases that get splashed up from the soil during rain or watering. I also mulch lightly or use landscape fabric around the plants to help slow that disease process. I agree pruning low helps with airflow, especially if plant spacing is tight and they press together as they mature. 

The only plants I've ever tried to clone were MJ, and I used 1" rockwool cubes and a rooting hormone dip-gel for that. Couple weeks sitting in a plastic domed tray under fluorescents and the clones rooted out and were ready for planting into dirt.

Extra water duty for me in this extreme early heat. Seems like in July heatwaves the foliage mostly shades the dirt so its not too bad but right now the ground is still exposed with the smaller plants. Got to be near 100 right now just above the dark soil. 

NWS Forecast

20210606_141925.jpg.20ae1307c1ca728eecec790acb4c40ab.jpg

Canteloupe rooted in fast and they're loving this heat. So long as I keep the water flowing. Starting to run now

20210606_131210.jpg.8eec82fbc4bba6932c4f6dcf7515ef78.jpg

Had big problems with a N.E. watermelon variety though. Slow to develop inside and very slow to develop and root in after transplant-- so the heat wasted a bunch with their immature root systems. Won't be growing this strain again

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

I'm searching for rabbit poop if anyone has any leads i would greatly appreciate it.

Funny that just tonight my dad was over and we were talking about his garden … he was grousing a bit about how his plants don’t seem to get as big as they used to.   I said that his plants were never bigger than back in the 70s when we had a couple of rabbits in a hutch out back.  He would transfer the poo to the garden and the tomatoes would grow 6 or 7 feet high.  That stuff is gold!

10 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

I'm searching for rabbit poop if anyone has any leads i would greatly appreciate it.

Have you tried using bat guano? Seriously the stuff works great.