How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

15 mins ago, Reed422 said:

The couple tomatoes of mine that look bad I planted a day or two before it rained oops

Nbd. Just read em this forecast and they'll perk right back up.

Screenshot_20210531-230841_Chrome.jpg.fd9c225cdfb9d901a6093680184b606b.jpg

Was in RI this weekend and there's a property down there growing a smallish comm crop of tomatoes under a poly greenhouse. Normally by MDW they pull the plastic sides up about 5ft for ventilation, so the hothouse doesn't become a 120° humid jungle. Sides were all back down this wknd... 

Those plants are already 4ft+

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

Tomatoes, Zuchini, and peppers all seemed to handle it fine, but 4 out of 10 cucumbers pretty much look dead, which sucks they were just starting to grab the trellis. The cucumber beds had a denser soil because I usually have trouble giving them enough water later in the year, that was a mistake. I was also away for the weekend in Maine so I'm not exactly sure what happened. Maybe I'll find a plant sale this weekend and grab some more.

5 hours ago, nateD said:

Tomatoes, Zuchini, and peppers all seemed to handle it fine, but 4 out of 10 cucumbers pretty much look dead, which sucks they were just starting to grab the trellis. The cucumber beds had a denser soil because I usually have trouble giving them enough water later in the year, that was a mistake. I was also away for the weekend in Maine so I'm not exactly sure what happened. Maybe I'll find a plant sale this weekend and grab some more.

Same problem, only the cucumbers were dead looking.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

Ended up losing a handful of canteloupe after the W̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶ Memorial Day Weekend noreaster.

Looks like a root rot issue? vs cold shock, as almost all the rest of the plants look fine. Kind of strange, the root rot, because the soil for the canteloupe is raised up into foot-high rows and well aerated, and wasn't too wet or cold muck by any means.

Wrecked :/

20210602_165527.jpg.a1cb8386c8460a7342ccb558b9908692.jpg

2 feet away. No problem \_( ツ)_/

20210602_165453.jpg.992aa8e2b85c43b7c20e97b1a2f65d19.jpg

Random parts of the farm field I'm growing in apparently have terrible drainage. A foot down yesterday it was still leaching water into a lake in one 10×50 area, and the unadjusted straight field soil was deadly anaerobic muck. Yikes. 

20210602_165434.jpg.3dde1bf0667d93e124af330ae2d3fe93.jpg

But just 4 feet away there's a nice sand layer a foot down. Good drainage. No lake. No muck.

20210602_165556.jpg.c297f92705e428b41646eed0a5290033.jpg

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

I use worm castings a lot. You don’t need a lot. I use that for the microbes. I also use bone meal in flowering/ fruiting stages. That and organic fertilizers to build up the nutrients in the soil. That as well as adding compost from my kitchen and make for rich soil that is easy to till. All of my Tomatoes, bush beans and cukes are in either cloth pots or  plastic tubs. summer squash, watermelons and butternut squash are all in hills under plastic. peppers, egg plant, broccoli and celery are in the raised bed. This is my first try with celery, and I’m trying a few potatoes for yucks as well. I also have strawberries, caged with hardware cloth to cape out chipies. My garden did ok during the cold wet weather and has really taken off with any sunshine. 

1AC53AC0-A37A-4E64-B68F-31CE2DB10A2F.jpeg

B51816DE-07D5-41A7-9DEA-D74D7772DB85.jpeg

B728EA21-489E-454A-B975-EFA82C590F9A.jpeg

D952D796-C802-4F4C-AD50-84EDF9099A39.jpeg

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Larry Bird said:

Any King Neptunes Harvest users out there? I think it works pretty well but Ive never used anything else. We grow tomatoes, cukes, pepper, cabbage, and several kinds of root veggies. Any opinions or tips? Thanks

I used king neptune for a smaller garden but the price was always high so I went to GS liquid kelp, dr earth organic fertilizers and whatever bone meal I could get a better price on. I’m buying gallons and 10-20 lbs at a time. IAACD6C0B-FDA4-4ACC-951C-C644BB0D7D39.jpeg.399e5075c1215a73dd880fb8baff1011.jpeghave had similar results to when I used king neptune.

3C3650EE-1A04-42EB-B930-4EF15C7491B4.jpeg

0F9FDCA7-AAB8-4065-B31D-BF7178AEC32F.jpeg

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

― Mark Twain

Not much time for fishing atm,Once again i have really gone overboard and went from a half dozen potted plants to a 1 acre garden.

The gardens/gardens are broken up into four....herb garden,funny herb garden,veg garden,and the "mound" garden which is for all the vine veg/fruits.

These pictures are from the main veg section.So far we have planted 60 tomato plants,120 pepper plants,12 rows of corn,cabbages,broc,cauli,carrots,beans,peas,leeks,lettuces,beets,turnips........you get the idea. 

P1070729.JPG

3 hours ago, hotfishgirl said:

Not much time for fishing atm,Once again i have really gone overboard and went from a half dozen potted plants to a 1 acre garden.

The gardens/gardens are broken up into four....herb garden,funny herb garden,veg garden,and the "mound" garden which is for all the vine veg/fruits.

These pictures are from the main veg section.So far we have planted 60 tomato plants,120 pepper plants,12 rows of corn,cabbages,broc,cauli,carrots,beans,peas,leeks,lettuces,beets,turnips........you get the idea. 

P1070729.JPG

If you open a farm stand, you'll give Nessrella's Farm Stand in your town some good competition.     ;)