hotfishgirl

How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

437 posts in this topic

1 min ago, bob_G said:

Thanks, looks like something I'll add next year. I really like tomatoes that size.  Though, they should have rethought that name?

So easy to grow its stupice

58 mins ago, bob_G said:

Thanks, looks like something I'll add next year. I really like tomatoes that size.  Though, they should have rethought that name?

Named after the town where it was developed …..Stupice, Czech.

On 7/26/2021 at 6:14 AM, hotfishgirl said:

I worked like a slave on garden project. The 100 x 50 foot garden now almost into august is looking great.

I  now know what a chump feels like(not a chub) as My girlfriend and girlfriends son accused me of being a bad person???I was accused of going threw the sons room and stole something. I asked what was missing and of course i got crickets. 

All bull crap to get rid of me after i completed all the work/garden.

I started many of the plants from seeds at my home and many of the other plants i bought at a nursery. I had put a bunch of money into the project which i know i won't get back.

Now i start my summer over ,almost august.No girlfriend,no garden,no summer job,no money from farm stand.

I started three pathetic tomato plants in pots outside my window,maybe i will get a tomato by october???

Sorry to hear about that. Your garden looked great.

My garden is nothing to boast about, but it's keeping my in tomatoes.

Problem: I'm getting nutsedge at the base of some of the tomato plants.  I don't pull it out like other weeks because it leaves tubers that lead to re-growth.  When I get nutsedge in the yard I hit it with SedgeHammer (great name).   

The internet yells, in bold letters, "Do not use SedgeHammer in vegetable gardens."

Any ideas?  Or do I just learn to live with it, like I've done with the chipmunks.

Nutsedge.JPG

Our children with spouses gave my wife two raised 4x8 ft beds at our new house for Mother's day.  Watching her harvest her crops and monitor her garden on a daily basis is priceless and the crops are awesome!

On 8/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, bob_G said:

My squash vines have exploded, but they're all flowers. Almost no squash. Don't get it, second year in a row? We used to grow so many squash, we couldn't eat them all, and no one wanted anymore.  I used to take the big warclub zucchini, and give them to the dogs to play with. It was fun to watch them run around the yard with a huge zucchini like it was a prize goose.

all flowers and no squash is lack of bees? No pollinating?

On 8/24/2021 at 0:55 PM, RP McMurphy said:

Any ideas?  Or do I just learn to live with it, like I've done with the chipmunks.

Nutsedge.JPG

If you want to get rid of it now, I'd dab on a little Roundup with a small brush.

I've used it in my N.Y. garden in select circumstances

On 8/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, bob_G said:

My squash vines have exploded, but they're all flowers. Almost no squash. Don't get it, second year in a row? We used to grow so many squash, we couldn't eat them all, and no one wanted anymore.  I used to take the big warclub zucchini, and give them to the dogs to play with. It was fun to watch them run around the yard with a huge zucchini like it was a prize goose.

That's lack of pollination. But you can play the role of bees and wasps by hand pollinating.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/how-to-pollinate-zucchini-by-hand

22 mins ago, PatchyFog said:

That's lack of pollination. But you can play the role of bees and wasps by hand pollinating.

I think you're right.  My wife and I kept honey bees for years. So we both know what Italian honey bees look like. They have 5 distinctive bands on their thorax. We haven't seen one in our garden in two years.

That being said, there are plenty of bumblebees, and other bugs buzzing from blossom to blossom. But I think the true honey bees did a better job.

2021 has been a good year for tomatoes and blueberries. This is the first year I have gotten more blueberries than the birds. I also found what I think is a beach plum bush in the yard. Can anyone help in identifying the plant and fruit?

beach plums 2021.jpg

On 8/24/2021 at 0:55 PM, RP McMurphy said:

My garden is nothing to boast about, but it's keeping my in tomatoes.

Problem: I'm getting nutsedge at the base of some of the tomato plants.  I don't pull it out like other weeks because it leaves tubers that lead to re-growth.  When I get nutsedge in the yard I hit it with SedgeHammer (great name).   

The internet yells, in bold letters, "Do not use SedgeHammer in vegetable gardens."

Nutsedge.JPG

I'd just snip the seed clusters off and burn em. once the tomatoes are done you can dig the roots out. I would not be putting any herbicide into my garden. 

On 8/26/2021 at 7:41 PM, PatchyFog said:

Our eggplant and zuchini have done well. Butternut squash is just flowers. I googled, theres both male and female flowers on plant. 

Sometimes the flowers are not open at same time, some times the bees are not there. I tried qtip but i dont think we are getting any squash.