How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

6 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I ordered some miracle gro

Just an fyi.

Miracle Grow makes an all purpose plant food, and another food specifically for tomatoes. The tomato specific food is definitely superior.  I was in the Tractor store in Wareham the other day and they had a shelf full of it.  I wonder if the store on 146 might have it?

The Sultan of Sluggo

Just now, bob_G said:

Just an fyi.

Miracle Grow makes an all purpose plant food, and another food specifically for tomatoes. The tomato specific food is definitely superior.  I was in the Tractor store in Wareham the other day and they had a shelf full of it.  I wonder if the store on 146 might have it?

I ordered some

Coming Tuesday 

troll #122  <*)))<

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

I think the bottom two photos are from Marlow NH. Either that or Washington NH, I forget.

Probably won't see another July like that for a long, long time. Between the rain and clouds and cool temperatures, it was the worst of all worlds. 

I think well see more and more of it going forward. Global warming, its a thing

Interesting weather up here in Ottawa - driest May in 100 years - it was a drought - and we are on well water - decent supply but you still have to be careful. Now it has been hot and wet for the last couple of weeks and I am chasing black spot and powdery mildew with copper sulfate and not touching plants until noon. Tomatoes are full of fruit so I have topped them off and opened them up a bit for air circulation.Still looking promising - garlic crop was great - most about 2" across with some tennis balls in there. 5 to 8 large cloves per bulb hoping the rest of the veggies follow the same path.

Puck - Ditch Troll #42 and Mouse #320, the Canadians  - Eh! At the Ditch for 50yrs

• 2 weeks later...

How are your gardens doing now that the monsoon season has ended? I’m still losing a lot of branches on the tomato plants but getting a lot of fruit now so I guess it’s fine. I’ve also finally started getting squash and zucchini. Cucumbers are delayed but looks like some will be ready soon. This hot week is helping everything. 

our tomatoes and beans have survived and we’re picking plenty now, but we’ve lost a lot of branches.  Our cucumbers never really did anything- it sucks… we love pickles.  Our peppers are really rocking now.  I’ve pickled some pepperoni and will be drying Thai peppers soon.  Bell peppers are ok, but not great.

This is my first year doing butternut squash.  How do I know when these suckers are ready?  I can’t wait for them!

806B78BE-79A2-4EF2-BE8B-E3CA69A47309.jpeg

7AD240F0-DF02-4D8D-8201-F49EC799FF0A.jpeg

My squash vines have exploded, but they're all flowers. Almost no squash. Don't get it, second year in a row? We used to grow so many squash, we couldn't eat them all, and no one wanted anymore.  I used to take the big warclub zucchini, and give them to the dogs to play with. It was fun to watch them run around the yard with a huge zucchini like it was a prize goose.

Tomatoes, eh?  I managed to save all but 3 plants during the blight, heavy rains of July.  Pruned the hell out of them to increase airflow. That helped.  Sprayed with copper fungicide, and baking soda mixture helped a lot 

We've been picking fruit daily. Certainly not my best.  Lots of twisted knobby tomatoes. Some plants are loaded, while others only a couple feet away, with only a couple.  However the cherries thrived for some reason. I have one Cherokee Purple that's massive, and is pushing out some large green fruit. Looking forward to those. Hope a hurricane doesn't ruin it.

The Sultan of Sluggo

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

our tomatoes and beans have survived and we’re picking plenty now, but we’ve lost a lot of branches.  Our cucumbers never really did anything- it sucks… we love pickles.  Our peppers are really rocking now.  I’ve pickled some pepperoni and will be drying Thai peppers soon.  Bell peppers are ok, but not great.

This is my first year doing butternut squash.  How do I know when these suckers are ready?  I can’t wait for them!

I would leave them until the frost kills the vines. It won't hurt the squash at all. They are best when the skin is all that nice "tan" color.

17 hours ago, K Foley said:

I would leave them until the frost kills the vines. It won't hurt the squash at all. They are best when the skin is all that nice "tan" color.

Thanks- I just did some reading up, and you gave good advice.  It sounds like those still have about 2 months of growth left- they should be the size of my leg by then!

On 8/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Fitzy said:

I wait as long as I can. Mature Butternut will have a matte tan finish, and the skins will have toughened to pass the fingernail test. I leave em until the vines are either dead or close to it. Ballpark is September 15th -Oct 10th. Once they're mature and in that "pick zone," I generally call it depending on weather. If a stretch cold wet weather is forecast, I see no advantages to leaving them in the field any longer.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea