hotfishgirl

How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, z-man said:

Do the felt buckets last multiple years or do you throw them out at the end of the season?

The felt buckets last me at least 2-3 seasons before they start to rip on the bottom from moving them around the yard.

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

How is everyone dealing with rodents? I have a million holes in my yard with different animals running in and out of them. 

You can buy smoke bombs and once lighted throw in the hole and have some thing ready to cover it so the gas stays in the hole or sit with an pump pellet gun Peace and prayers

3 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

How is everyone dealing with rodents? I have a million holes in my yard with different animals running in and out of them. 

I’ve been at war with chipmunks, red squirrels and mice that have all moved into my shed. A bucket trap works the best but after a couple weeks they seem to learn to stay away. I’m going to try moving it to a different area. The plastic claw style rat traps also work ok. 

12 hours ago, z-man said:

Do the felt buckets last multiple years or do you throw them out at the end of the season?

Z,

You definitely will get several seasons from one.   I've never had one fail.  The first year we used them I noticed a difference. At the end of the season I immediately noticed our felt pot plants had developed far superior room systems when compared to plastic 5 gallon buckets.

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

Z,

You definitely will get several seasons from one.   I've never had one fail.  The first year we used them I noticed a difference. At the end of the season I immediately noticed our felt pot plants had developed far superior room systems when compared to plastic 5 gallon buckets.

I think I’ll get some. The plastic containers and buckets usually only last a few seasons before they get brittle and break too. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have about 70 or so tomato seeds going inside. Sprouted about a week ago. Outside, Folded a bunch of compost into the garden a couple weeks ago, and covered with landscape fabric. I also put a couple plants in buckets in the driveway as “guest tomatoes”.  

01394CC0-A492-4AE7-BA37-E09977BA8100.jpeg

Edited by RP McMurphy
Prior wording may have been misunderstood as indicating appropriate uses for felt buckets.

3 mins ago, z-man said:

I think I’ll get some. The plastic containers and buckets usually only last a few seasons before they get brittle and break too. 

Z,

They're not just for tomatoes.  Basil does well in them too.  Check out the photo. Both basil plants were planted on the same day, using the same soil. The one on the right is in a felt pot, the one on the left in ceramic.  The difference is clear.

IMG_20200806_104810.jpg

I spent 3 hours the other night transfering plants from the plastic kate started them in to Grow Bags. 7 big bags of garden soil /fertlizer and we are still not done. We were out there till dark. I'll take pics

Garden is all prepped up and ready for plants, and the seedlings are ready to go out. We have some of the frost hardy greens growing now.First week of May we start putting everything else out. We are trying the grow bags this year for the first time. We have potatoes growing in ours.

IMG_20210401_154054_880.jpg

IMG_20210419_201854_214.jpg

IMG_20210423_205904_006.jpg

1 hour ago, CodOnMyRod said:

Garden is all prepped up and ready for plants, and the seedlings are ready to go out. We have some of the frost hardy greens growing now.First week of May we start putting everything else out. We are trying the grow bags this year for the first time. We have potatoes growing in ours.

IMG_20210401_154054_880.jpg

IMG_20210419_201854_214.jpg

IMG_20210423_205904_006.jpg

Wow, impressive!

Hey HFG  Get yourself a plastic  30 or 55 gallon drum with a removeable cover and when you clean your fish put the guts in the barrel with a little water and you will have some good stuff that might have a little stink  but grows really well and If yer neibours

act up you can just ferget to put the cover back on yer barrel.

6 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Hey HFG  Get yourself a plastic  30 or 55 gallon drum with a removeable cover and when you clean your fish put the guts in the barrel with a little water and you will have some good stuff that might have a little stink  but grows really well and If yer neibours

act up you can just ferget to put the cover back on yer barrel.

In another time when living on the second floor in Dorchester I kept all of my winter cod racks in enclosed buckets on the porch to feed my tomato plants during the summer. That was until one year the temperature got real high and caused all of the buckets to literately explode . Now you talk about a smell . Peace and Prayers