How is your garden coming

Rate this topic

hotfishgirl

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

When should I plant sugar snap peas for a fall crop? Also any other easy fall crop planting options?

I have a small empty area available. 

Beets, radishes, kale, lettuce, carrots. I personally like beets the best, but they have a tough time in the heat. They’ll taste best if they’re subjected to some light frost prior to harvest.

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

When should I plant sugar snap peas for a fall crop? Also any other easy fall crop planting options?

I was trying to figure out the same for snow peas.  I’m going with mid July since it’s 70 days to harvest.

I have a 4' x 10' raised bed and a few 10 gal grow bags.  All the soil, peat moss and compost is from Miracle Grow type bags from this year and last.   I tried a few varieties of tomatoes and the super 100s and sun gold are doing great .  I had to replace a Better Boy due to black leaf, an Early Girl because a critter chomped it close to the ground, another Early Girl due to leaf curl.  My Beefsteak is suffering from leaf curl and black leaf, the replacement Early Girl in the grow bag has leaf curl on the main stem so is stalled out.  The Better Boy that replaced the Big Boy variety is showing signs of leaf curl.  I planted these guys deep.  I planted with a couple table spoons of Tomato Tone and bone meal and they have gotten fertilized with Alaskan fish twice now.  Eggplants, banana peppers and cucumbers are doing great.  I didn't think leaf curl was a big problem in this area.  Most suckers have been removed as they appear.  Tomatoes below the leaf curl appear to be doing OK for now.  I don't ever recall having this issue.  I don't see any bugs on the curled leaves.  The close up is from the Beefsteak and the grow bag is the replacement Early girl. Plants came from different places. Must of watched a dozed Utubes.   Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks

earlygirl_resized.jpg

beefsteak_resized.jpg

10 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I usually plant my fall sugar snaps roughly the 3rd week in July. Towards harvest they seem to take a light sctd frost fine, but a hard frost = nite nite. Germination is fast in July with the high soil temperatures. I usually end up mulching with a light straw layer to help keep soil moisture up, esp if there's a heat wave during germination or when they're still small. I like fall sugar snaps because they mature during cool weather which I think makes for a tastier pea. 

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

56 mins ago, JohnDe said:

I have a 4' x 10' raised bed and a few 10 gal grow bags.  All the soil, peat moss and compost is from Miracle Grow type bags from this year and last.   I tried a few varieties of tomatoes and the super 100s and sun gold are doing great .  I had to replace a Better Boy due to black leaf, an Early Girl because a critter chomped it close to the ground, another Early Girl due to leaf curl.  My Beefsteak is suffering from leaf curl and black leaf, the replacement Early Girl in the grow bag has leaf curl on the main stem so is stalled out.  The Better Boy that replaced the Big Boy variety is showing signs of leaf curl.  I planted these guys deep.  I planted with a couple table spoons of Tomato Tone and bone meal and they have gotten fertilized with Alaskan fish twice now.  Eggplants, banana peppers and cucumbers are doing great.  I didn't think leaf curl was a big problem in this area.  Most suckers have been removed as they appear.  Tomatoes below the leaf curl appear to be doing OK for now.  I don't ever recall having this issue.  I don't see any bugs on the curled leaves.  The close up is from the Beefsteak and the grow bag is the replacement Early girl. Plants came from different places. Must of watched a dozed Utubes.   Am I missing something obvious?  Thanks

earlygirl_resized.jpg

beefsteak_resized.jpg

Decent chance the leaf curl began in response to the extreme heat last week. The high heat + black grow bags might have stressed the plants into curling. Water stress (too much/too little) can also do it. As can too much nitrogen fertilizer. 

The yellowing on the lowest leaves is not related. It's a fungal disease, early blight I think.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

16 mins ago, rst3 said:

I usually plant my fall sugar snaps roughly the 3rd week in July. Towards harvest they seem to take a light sctd frost fine, but a hard frost = nite nite. Germination is fast in July with the high soil temperatures. I usually end up mulching with a light straw layer to help keep soil moisture up, esp if there's a heat wave during germination or when they're still small. I like fall sugar snaps because they mature during cool weather which I think makes for a tastier pea. 

Thank you 

troll #122  <*)))<

rst3..  thank you for your response. I’m in upper Buzzards Bay and we didn’t suffer much from the extreme heat (compared to other areas). As you point out, it could very well be environmental.  I watched a few more you tubes including one that looks just like my ailing plants.  The guy called it “curly top” and it is a systematic virus introduced by the leaf hopper.  There is no remedy.  It is like cutting off the top of the plant.  Existing fruit is ok and other plants are supposed to be fine.  Must be a lot of leaf hoppers around because it has gotten to 4 or 5 of 9 plants.  I thought my biggest enemy would be the chipmunks!

thanks again

6 hours ago, JohnDe said:

rst3..  thank you for your response. I’m in upper Buzzards Bay and we didn’t suffer much from the extreme heat (compared to other areas). As you point out, it could very well be environmental.  I watched a few more you tubes including one that looks just like my ailing plants.  The guy called it “curly top” and it is a systematic virus introduced by the leaf hopper.  There is no remedy.  It is like cutting off the top of the plant.  Existing fruit is ok and other plants are supposed to be fine.  Must be a lot of leaf hoppers around because it has gotten to 4 or 5 of 9 plants.  I thought my biggest enemy would be the chipmunks!

thanks again

I'm losing an Early Girl to what appears to be curly top, and the one next to it seems  compromised as well.  The Early Girl had a bunch of flowers,  but those shriveled up.

Probably  gonna yank the plants tomorrow,  but I'm on the fence if it's even worth replacing them give its july?

The Sultan of Sluggo

6 hours ago, JohnDe said:

thanks again

I had never heard of leaf hoppers before. I just googled them and I think they are the little green bugs that have been all over our lettuce. I hope they don’t kill our tomatoes. 

37 mins ago, z-man said:

I had never heard of leaf hoppers before. I just googled them and I think they are the little green bugs that have been all over our lettuce. I hope they don’t kill our tomatoes. 

Could leaf hopper be a colloquial name for aphids?

The Sultan of Sluggo

My tomatoes aren’t looking too great after all of this rain. I just cut off a ton of lower branches that were starting to turn yellow. 
It looks like more T storms tonight and tomorrow and then a tropical storm on Friday. It’s not looking good.  

5 hours ago, z-man said:

My tomatoes aren’t looking too great after all of this rain. I just cut off a ton of lower branches that were starting to turn yellow. 
It looks like more T storms tonight and tomorrow and then a tropical storm on Friday. It’s not looking good.  

I deliberately held off feeding and watering mine this week due to the pending rain.  Some of my determinate have a few yellow branches down low. But the indeterminate are bright green, and 7' tall.  Hopefully they'll all survive this next batch of rain.

I pull the diseased early girl today and replaced it with a Cherokee purple. 

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo